Electro House Synth/Sound

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
johnmajor

Electro House Synth/Sound

Post by johnmajor » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:05 pm

Seeing as how electro house sound seems to be quite popular and I was wondering if people here were successful or would share how recreating those type of sounds, leads, basses? (Some of the distorted leads and basses seem very rich, crunchy. e.g Justice's Waters of Nazareth. Smooth square/sine Leads that have portomento 'The Egg', 'Wearing my rolex'. And that typical saw SHARP bass which still eludes me after many months.)

im looking to perform electro house tunes live soon, and would like to sound as closely as possible to the song's leads and basses.

My 'studio' consists of Novation KS4, Jen-SX1000 (its soo warm in comparison!) and a yamaha sy-22. I use many staple VST's as well such as Vanguard, V-station, Bass station, FL Studio synths on my laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Electro House Synth/Sound

Post by Yoozer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Consider the following:

be original and do not imitate these folks. do your own thing, tell your own story.

The world's already full enough with "sidechain the h**l out of anything", don't add more misery if you can help it.

Since this is not going to help, here's an easy trick to create nice rough bass sounds: http://yoozer.net/news/2/90s-sampling.html . You don't mention anything about sidechaining: read up on it, there's a tutorial for every DAW for it because it's such a godawful overused trick, if you do not use this technique it's not going to be a clone. Furthermore, consider the background of Justice: they've originally messed around with guitars. Sample a powerchord, use that sample to play stuff with, and don't be afraid to buy a bunch of stompboxes to throw over your synths since the on-board distortion invariably sucks. If they can do it with Ablton, you do not need to drag your priceless vintage analog to the liveset. Invest in your effects, and I hope you have a good audio interface and some choice effects boxes and/or plugins; they're a dozen times more important than synths.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:42 pm

ive just invested in a yamaha tx81z because of this saw bass reason.let alone getting the classic
lately bass sound...if you go to you tube and tap in... M4M ..he will show you how to get this sound
he is also very helpfull in listing everything he has and his replys are very possitive.
have fun.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:47 pm

...and because it's always nicer to have a link instead of a description: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... ED42B016FF
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:42 pm

The VSE crystal ball reveals...

Some thread about Justice

(the search function)
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

valdiorn

Post by valdiorn » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:00 am

come on, emulation is part of the learning process. You can't learn to make your own s**t if you never learn how everyone else does theirs... plus these sounds are awesome to the maxx :)

get yourself a nice synth, I'd suggest a Minimoog or a Little Phatty. Then add some feedback if you have the capability, and finally distort the s**t out of that thing. Lastly, add a steep low-pass filter with a tiny it of resonance and you have yourself the grittiest sounding bassline in existence :)

I do this all the time with Minimonsta VST and filterBank 2 (it has a great tube saturation and filters that I love).

these sounds are very rich with post processing. Check out multiband distortion effects, they are great for this (Crysonic SpectraQ, for example).
http://www.myspace.com/notindemand
Life's a b***h, get a f**k helmet!