New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Post Reply
User avatar
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:25 pm
Location: Michigan

New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Post by Altitude » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:21 pm


User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Re: New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Post by JSRockit » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:19 pm

Looks ok... wonder what it sounds like...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

User avatar
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1400
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:46 pm
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Post by Syn303 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:26 pm

JSRockit wrote:Looks ok... wonder what it sounds like...
Well it has every sound the 808 has, so it probably sounds like a TR-808.
Could this be competition for the Acidlab Miami?

Acidlab Miami = 800 Euro
MFB-522 = 280 Euro

Of course the Miami does a whole lot more!
Last edited by Syn303 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

User avatar
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:25 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Post by Altitude » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Syn303 wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Looks ok... wonder what it sounds like...
Well it has every sound the 808 has, so it probably sounds like a TR-808.
Could this be competition for the Acidlab Miami ?
I would say it has everything the 502 has plus claves and cowbell. The 502 does not sound anything like an 808

User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Re: New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Post by JSRockit » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Syn303 wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Looks ok... wonder what it sounds like...
Well it has every sound the 808 has, so it probably sounds like a TR-808.
Could this be competition for the Acidlab Miami ?
I wouldn't get your hopes up on that...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

User avatar
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1400
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:46 pm
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Post by Syn303 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:33 pm

JSRockit wrote:
Syn303 wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Looks ok... wonder what it sounds like...
Well it has every sound the 808 has, so it probably sounds like a TR-808.
Could this be competition for the Acidlab Miami ?
I wouldn't get your hopes up on that...
Hopes? what hopes, i have a complete 808 kit in my MD-UW,
so no need for a MFB-522
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

User avatar
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1492
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:16 am
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed
Location: Boston, MA

Re: New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Post by StepLogik » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:58 pm

I like all the knobs!
MFB stuff is just so cheap and flimsy that I would be hesitant to pick this up.

User avatar
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:25 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Post by Altitude » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:22 pm

StepLogik wrote:I like all the knobs!
MFB stuff is just so cheap and flimsy that I would be hesitant to pick this up.

What makes you say that? I have had my 502 going on 3-4 years and it has not had any issues whatsoever

User avatar
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1400
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:46 pm
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Post by Syn303 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:32 pm

Hmmm... seems it sounds like the old Acetone Rhythm Ace (502 Demo) with added Cowbell and Conga, I'll give it a miss.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

rockmanrock
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:47 pm

Re: New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Post by rockmanrock » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:06 pm

Altitude wrote:
StepLogik wrote:I like all the knobs!
MFB stuff is just so cheap and flimsy that I would be hesitant to pick this up.

What makes you say that? I have had my 502 going on 3-4 years and it has not had any issues whatsoever
Same with my Synth Lite II, it's tiny yet quite sturdy, about on-par with an original Electribe I would say.

Maybe this new one has been given a tweak to get closer to an 808 - Mr Fricke managed to get the 503 quite 909ish I think.

User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Re: New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Post by JSRockit » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:11 pm

Syn303 wrote: Hopes? what hopes, i have a complete 808 kit in my MD-UW,
so no need for a MFB-522
Pardon me sir... I mean you have been jizzing your pants over the Miami... so, the 808 samples must not be cutting it... :D
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Re: New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Post by JSRockit » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:12 pm

StepLogik wrote:I like all the knobs!
MFB stuff is just so cheap and flimsy that I would be hesitant to pick this up.
Light and plastic...but not overly flimsy.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

User avatar
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1492
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:16 am
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed
Location: Boston, MA

Re: New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Post by StepLogik » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:14 pm

rockmanrock wrote:
Altitude wrote:
StepLogik wrote:I like all the knobs!
MFB stuff is just so cheap and flimsy that I would be hesitant to pick this up.

What makes you say that? I have had my 502 going on 3-4 years and it has not had any issues whatsoever
Same with my Synth Lite II, it's tiny yet quite sturdy, about on-par with an original Electribe I would say.
I had a Synth Lite II as well. It never stayed in tune, I was constantly having to re-tune it. The knobs felt so fragile that they might break off at any moment. I also had some switch bouncing issues with the buttons. Maybe I got a bad unit?

It did sound great though!

User avatar
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:25 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Post by Altitude » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:33 pm

JSRockit wrote:
Syn303 wrote: Hopes? what hopes, i have a complete 808 kit in my MD-UW,
so no need for a MFB-522
Pardon me sir... I mean you have been jizzing your pants over the Miami... so, the 808 samples must not be cutting it... :D


:P

rockmanrock
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:47 pm

Re: New MFB-522 drum machine, now with more cowbell..

Post by rockmanrock » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:46 pm

StepLogik wrote: I had a Synth Lite II as well. It never stayed in tune, I was constantly having to re-tune it. The knobs felt so fragile that they might break off at any moment. I also had some switch bouncing issues with the buttons. Maybe I got a bad unit?

It did sound great though!
Tuning issues with a DCO synth :D Mine seems alright for tuning. The sequencer doesn't sync to a MIDI clock properly though, that is my only real issue with it.

Post Reply