ARP 2600 and Minimoog: A match made in Heaven

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Re: ARP 2600 and Minimoog: A match made in Heaven

Post by iProg » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:35 pm

The intro to "World in my eyes" from "Violator" is the ARP2600 combined with minimoog as stated in the thread "Badass synth parts in songs"

;)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:17 pm

Esus wrote:And, I might add, the vast majority of those Moog records were s**t. After the success of S-OB, many labels (U.S. in particular) assumed that all they had to do was buy a Carlos-like system, have someone play a cheesy lead line over an even cheesier backing track, and the cash would pour in. The IIIp on the cover of S-OB is supposedly one CBS (Columbia) purchased for that very purpose (Carlos used a "c" style system). The Moog Archives site has a listing of early buyers, and there are more than a few modulars that went to record labels.
Ultimately, those records (and any backlash they created) probably hurt Moog and helped ARP.
Hey, easy there.
For every "Moog España" there were a couple of Jean Jacques Perrey or Mort Garson albums! :)
While a lot of them were s**t (but retain a lot of value as kitsch and as great demonstrations of Moog modular timbre), a lot of them were pretty cool.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:20 pm

guitarsandsynths wrote:Who would be lucky enough to own both machines????
Ha ha "lucky?"
Before owning both, I was very excited to have a vast synth collection. Having both of them destroyed my will to collect synthesizers.
They're a curse to anyone who desires a wall of synths! :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

Esus

Post by Esus » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:For every "Moog España" there were a couple of Jean Jacques Perrey or Mort Garson albums! :) While a lot of them were s**t (but retain a lot of value as kitsch and as great demonstrations of Moog modular timbre), a lot of them were pretty cool.
Good point. But if you want demos, you can't beat the Beaver & Krause Nonesuch Guide, and especially Carlos' Secrets of Synthesis (which you have mentioned on this forum).
Personally, as long as there are the above examples, I'm not looking to waste 40 minutes of my life enduring Switched-On Santa. :D

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Post by guitarsandsynths » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:18 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
guitarsandsynths wrote:Who would be lucky enough to own both machines????
Ha ha "lucky?"
Before owning both, I was very excited to have a vast synth collection. Having both of them destroyed my will to collect synthesizers.
They're a curse to anyone who desires a wall of synths! :)
Oh yeah! I forgot! Curses!!!! I'll never forgive myself for letting the cs15 and sa09 go! Maybe I can trade them back for the 2600... :lol:
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:03 pm

guitarsandsynths wrote:
Clavier wrote:
Esus wrote:
I'm digging that M-3 peering in from the left! :)
He should put the Arp on top of the M-3. =D>
It doesn't fit the arp and the keyboard ! :(
:( Minimoog then. :wink:
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:03 pm

Esus wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:For every "Moog España" there were a couple of Jean Jacques Perrey or Mort Garson albums! :) While a lot of them were s**t (but retain a lot of value as kitsch and as great demonstrations of Moog modular timbre), a lot of them were pretty cool.
Good point. But if you want demos, you can't beat the Beaver & Krause Nonesuch Guide, and especially Carlos' Secrets of Synthesis (which you have mentioned on this forum).
Personally, as long as there are the above examples, I'm not looking to waste 40 minutes of my life enduring Switched-On Santa. :D
I don't have the Nonesuch Guide, and I am the lesser for it.

As for Switched-On Santa... I think you're wrong.
It's probably a waste of 25 to 30 minutes of your life. :wink:

LWG

Post by LWG » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:58 am

Here, a couple of more artists who used the 2600/Mini D pairing. One was former Earth, Wind, and Fire keyboardist, Larry Dunn.
His synth work on the earlier solo release of saxophonist, Ronnie Laws (also a former EWF member) has the two synths:

"Goodtime Ride" (from "Friends and Strangers):

"Just Love" (this track also has Dunn using EMS Synthi AKS):

"Friends and Strangers":

The late Clyde Criner used the pair, among other keyboards on "Spellbound", the solo album of
bassist, Alphonso Johnson:

FaceBlaster:

70's funk band, Sun had two keyboardists (Sonnie Talbert and Byron Byrd) who used the two. Here is the
track "Radiation Level".

I believe Peter Brown also used the two on his 1977 classic, "Fantasy Love Affair".

"Without Love"

"Do You Wanna Get Funky"

Regards,

Lawrence

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:51 pm

The soundtrack to the classic horror flick "Phantasm" (1979) also features the ARP2600/Minimoog pairing
(alongside Mellotron, Rhodes, Clavinet and Yamaha YC-30 combo organ).
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:48 pm

I finally got to try a 2600. If I had known I was going to cross paths with it I would've looked for the manual. :lol:

It was awesome to behold. I liked the way it sounds even if it was through the internal speakers. Got some patch cables going and made some alright sounds but in the end I didn't totally grasp it. #-o I didn't have a whole lot of time which was a bummer that I had to go. There were some buchla's too. I just found the manual too haha oh well.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:32 am

I did a track a few years back with a friend of mine. Features Minimoog, 2600, and an andromeda (arpeggiator and pads at the end)

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:36 am

:)
Last edited by Virgule on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:51 am

I was like what an ARP 2800? I thought it was going to be something big like the 2500 but the number is after the 2600. Yep. An Odyssey. :happy7:

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:42 am

RobotHeroes wrote:I finally got to try a 2600. If I had known I was going to cross paths with it I would've looked for the manual. :lol:

It was awesome to behold. I liked the way it sounds even if it was through the internal speakers. Got some patch cables going and made some alright sounds but in the end I didn't totally grasp it. #-o I didn't have a whole lot of time which was a bummer that I had to go. There were some buchla's too. I just found the manual too haha oh well.

Where the h**l were you that you got to hang out with a 2600, and "some buchlas"...my dream studio?

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:08 pm

hyphen nation wrote:Where the h**l were you that you got to hang out with a 2600, and "some buchlas"...my dream studio?
Noisebug. Briefly tried an Andromeda, Mopho and a Leipzig. There was a Prophet 5 and an Oberheim 4 voice but those weren't hooked up.

Buchla's are a lot smaller than I thought. I was like these go for the price of a new car FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU. They look nice too. 8)