Cars "Hello again" classic sync sound

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
killertofu

Cars "Hello again" classic sync sound

Post by killertofu » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:09 pm

Im playing around with the Jupiter 8V Demo and im trying to program the classic Cars sync sound. You can hear it on this live vid around 40 seconds into it. (You can even see hes playing it on a JP8 in the vid :mrgreen: )

Any tips on getting this with the JP8 VST? There has to be something simple I am missing - I can easily program this sound on my NL2. There is a section on the left for "MOD ENV" that has Attack, Decay, and Amount. I dont see anything like this on the JP8, so im stuck.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Re: Cars "Hello again" classic sync sound

Post by hfinn » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:15 pm

IN the video it appears he's playing that part on the synth above the JP8.

killertofu

Post by killertofu » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:19 pm

Whoops.. I picked the first video I saw but I KNOW ive seen one with him playing that on the JP8. Ill see if I can find the other.. :oops:

Regardless, its the same sound No Doubt uses in Just a Girl and at one point their keyboardist was using a Jupiter 8 live for that sound, so I know its possible.
:D

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:44 pm

It is very possible. If I remember correctly it's factory patch 15. Early on they used the Prophet 5 for that sound "Let's Go" is a good example...

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:37 pm

I know nothing about softsynths, but the REAL Jupiter 8 has a VCO Mod section where you can modulate the frequency of the VCO's from ENV 1 (which you can select either VCO or both).

The synth atop Hawke's JP-8 looks like a Synclavier and there appears to be another Synclavier above the MemoryMoog to his right. Can anyone confirm that?
Last edited by Z on Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:53 pm

That does look like a Synclavier. AFAIK it can't do sync sounds like that, unless it's playing a sample or acting as a controller for something else.

That said, yes, a JP-8 can do that sound. Any synth with hard sync and routing of an envelope to oscillator pitch can. You need to have an envelope control the pitch of the slave oscillator. I'll have to fire up my demo version of JP-8V and see what it takes to do it.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:22 am

hfinn wrote:It is very possible. If I remember correctly it's factory patch 15. Early on they used the Prophet 5 for that sound "Let's Go" is a good example...
I think you're right. I found this info about Greg Hawkes on answers.com...
"His signature sounds include the Prophet-5 "touch sync" sound heard on "Let's Go" and "Hello Again""

It is credible, the Prophet-5 could get those sync sounds.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:30 am

Well both synths can do it without breaking a sweat. I think the Prophet 5 was used on Let's Go and the JP-8 on Hello Again.

Bross

Post by Bross » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:00 am

See attachment. Sync VCO 2 to VCO 1. Make VCO 2 a square wave. Set both VCOs to 16'. Modulate pitch of OSC 2 with Env 1 (.75 or so). Set Envelopes accordingly. Filter is wide open in the picture but you may want to cut high frequencies a little.
Attachments
Hello Again.jpg

killertofu

Post by killertofu » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:14 am

Bross wrote:See attachment. Sync VCO 2 to VCO 1. Make VCO 2 a square wave. Set both VCOs to 16'. Modulate pitch of OSC 2 with Env 1 (.75 or so). Set Envelopes accordingly. Filter is wide open in the picture but you may want to cut high frequencies a little.
Awesome!! Thanks. So it looks like the part that was throwing me off was the fact that ENV1 is controlling the sharp "squeal" sound. I was looking around near the Sync switch for some control over that, but I guess I was way off.

Very cool, thanks again :mrgreen:

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:01 am

According to the Jan. '85 issue of the long defunct Music & Sound Output magazine Hawkes setup on that tour was 2 MIDIed Jupiter 8s with their memories expanded to 192 programs, 2 Memorymoogs, 2 Synclavier IIs, a Yamaha DX7 and DX9, a Linndrum, Roland MC4 and at least 2 Roland MSQ700s. He ran them into a Soundcraft mixer and a Roland RE501 Space Echo. The Synclavs ran into a Morley volume pedal as Hawkes found a delay after pressing a key when he first loaded a sample into their memories. So he would load the sample in and press a key with the volume down so there would be no delay when he began to play. He said he toured with two in case one froze up onstage, which he said did happen. The MC4 was the master clock for the sequencers and the Linn. Both JP8s, the Yamahas, and one Memorymoog were run from the MSQs. Hawkes noted that the JP8s were the synths he was most familiar with at the time. There's no mention of why he went with two Synclaviers instead of buying a Fairlight or two.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:38 pm

killertofu wrote:Awesome!! Thanks. So it looks like the part that was throwing me off was the fact that ENV1 is controlling the sharp "squeal" sound. I was looking around near the Sync switch for some control over that, but I guess I was way off.
Yep, that's the key to that "dowww" type sync sound. The slave oscillator's pitch changes via an envelope but is kept in sync with the master oscillator which isn't pitch bent. Thus, the waveform changes but not the pitch, giving you that "Let's Go" sound. (Try turning the sync off and see what you get).

You can go a step further and have an LFO modulate VCO2's pitch so it goes "Dowowwwoowwwoooww", or set the pitch bender to only bend VCO2 (doable on JP8(v)), and control it with the pitch paddle/wheel. You can do some creative stuff that way.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:59 pm

While we're talking about the Cars can anyone tell what synth Ben Orr is playing in this TV performance of "Think It Over?" Looks like it might be a blackface ARP Oddyssey, and it kind of sounds like an ARP. Looking at the vids on YouTube Greg Hawkes' Shake It Up tour setup seems to have been two Prophet 5s, a Roland VP330, and an ARP Omni.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Byrthfood

Post by Byrthfood » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:02 am

tim gueguen wrote:While we're talking about the Cars can anyone tell what synth Ben Orr is playing in this TV performance of "Think It Over?" Looks like it might be a blackface ARP Oddyssey, and it kind of sounds like an ARP. Looking at the vids on YouTube Greg Hawkes' Shake It Up tour setup seems to have been two Prophet 5s, a Roland VP330, and an ARP Omni.

I believe it is an Arp Solus. I love that damn song.
Synthi: DSI Polyevolver, DSI Prophet 08, Moog Source, Moog Voyager, Roland Fantom X8, Generalmusic S2 and SK88, Yamaha RM50, MFB Kult

Future: Macbeth X-Factor

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:39 am

It is an ARP Solus. You can see the hinge where the lid connects.