Jomox M-Base 11

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
roland4387
Gear: TB-303(x's 2), EML 101, System 100 Model 101, TR-808 & 606, SH-2, ARP Odyssey MKII, Korg MS-20, Xbase999, Korg KMS-30, SBX-80, Future Retro Mobius

Re: Jomox M-Base 11

Post by roland4387 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:43 am

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:57 am

so it really is more a MKII than a new product. still, looks like they listened to some of the complaints/requests and responded with this. i'll be interested in what this will do for the 01, as i don't really have need of the enhancements offered in the 11. here's hoping it chips down the price of the 01 a bit.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:32 am

Damn I just bought an mbase-01 #-o

Yeah I was wrong, I thought it would be more... but still the mbase-01 alone kicks a*s and I do really look forward to hearing the difference the jomox guy is talking about when he says it's not like the 888/999.

h**l the xbase-09 kick sounds pretty good, then he improved for the 999 the better for the 888. So I imagine the mbase11 will really be fine tuned!

I thought it would have been amazing to have a compact xbase style sequencer on the mbase11 and that was what I was pining for, it's just great to have the parameter locking and I'll just wind up triggering the mbase11 rather than using midi if there is no sequencer and setting up all the midi parameter is just too much work.

I'll definitely be buying one, I think every 808, 909 or machinedrum should be have an mbase tagging along if you ask me. They are just so versatile.

Oh... I sure hope there are more than 10 frickin storable sound patches I mean Gawd 10 on the mbase?
for sale/trade: EML-101

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:52 am

I hereby declare myself and JS as the most accurate guesses of the thread!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:16 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I hereby declare myself and JS as the most accurate guesses of the thread!
Yep, it was all in the name...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:26 pm

killedaway wrote:here's hoping it chips down the price of the 01 a bit.
:crosses fingers:

i might have to finally pony up the cash and get one.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:13 am

killedaway wrote:so it really is more a MKII than a new product. still, looks like they listened to some of the complaints/requests and responded with this. i'll be interested in what this will do for the 01, as i don't really have need of the enhancements offered in the 11. here's hoping it chips down the price of the 01 a bit.
Is the 01 really that expensive :?:
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:58 am

stikygum wrote:
killedaway wrote:so it really is more a MKII than a new product. still, looks like they listened to some of the complaints/requests and responded with this. i'll be interested in what this will do for the 01, as i don't really have need of the enhancements offered in the 11. here's hoping it chips down the price of the 01 a bit.
Is the 01 really that expensive :?:
well, i guess that's all in the eye of the beholder. personally, i can't say whether or not i think it's expensive until i've owned one. as a prospective buyer, i am eager to see the price drop on an item that, at least "on paper", interests me.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:45 am

I guess it's all relative, but 300 bucks for just a kick drum seems like a premium price. I guess it's reasonable in Jomox terms, where getting the whole drum machine—with all the instruments and a sequencer—will cost you $1400 or more.

But yeah, $300 for something that just goes "thump, thump, thump" (and can't even do that without another piece of gear driving it) really is a bit much in my book.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:57 am

well when you're playing music that is all based around thump thump... then you want the best thump there is. :D but that's not even fair because you can play pitched bass lines on it too. Sure you can just get a monosynth but to make top notch kick drum sounds... well even the future retro XS which makes great drum sounds still doesn't do jomox quality kick sounds IMO

I think the mbase is totally worth it, kick is the most important part of many different types of electronic music and it sounds freakin great. Cheaper than buying the whole drum machine, I personally don't like the other instruments in the jomox drum machines but the kick is superb! So it's really a blessing he is offering the best part of the drum machines by itself.

Also many drum machines lack a good analog kick sound or just aren't very versatile. The jomox can be triggered by audio OR midi so it's really great to compliment drum machines like elektrons, mpcs, 808, 909, 606 etc.

Don't be hatin if you haven't even played one.
for sale/trade: EML-101

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:17 am

I wasn't making any value judgments about the thing, and whether or not it's worth the price. Just attempting to give an quasi-objective answer as to whether it's expensive, which is a pretty pointless thing to do in the first place. Guess I should've known better.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:44 pm

pricklyrobot wrote: But yeah, $300 for something that just goes "thump, thump, thump" (and can't even do that without another piece of gear driving it) really is a bit much in my book.
Yes, but that thump thump is serious quality thump thump... it does what it does really well.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:36 pm

Hmmm, I just listened to all the MB11 demos and then the MB01 demo and I like the sound of the MB01 a lot more. I think it's the attack sound that does it for me, the website says the 11 has a new metalised noise generator for the attack and to me it sounds a lot more like a real kick drum than the kind of plasticy fake sound of the 01. In fact it sounds a lot like a kick mic'd up with an Audix D6, my favourite kick mic.

I don't know if it's just that they were going for a different sound on the new demos but on the basis of the demos I'd pick the 01 way before the 11. The 11 coming out is actually giving me 01 gas, weird.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:50 pm

I'm not going to even bother listening to the demos... GAS extinguished.

guillermotin

Post by guillermotin » Sun May 17, 2009 12:44 am

Already shipping:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jomox_mbase_11.htm

A bit expensive, though...