What was the worst synthesizer you've ever owned?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Re: What was the worst synthesizer you ever owned?

Post by Plumpudding » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:18 pm

CS_TBL wrote:Even a wet fart can sound spectacular when running it through a huge reverb. Point being: on their own, the silliest Yamaha PSR keyboard can sound like a dud, but hook it up to a range of effects and you may find use for it. It's therefor hard to tell which synth is the worst of all. It also depends on the time we're living in, and whether you like software or not. If I look at my gear and poll which thing I've used the least of all, then it'd be the DX7, followed by the EMU. My gear which has been used the most: FS1r, JD800, SY77, SN2r. These days only FM8 is in use. :mrgreen:

When it comes to bad developments, I'd rather make a more fundamental 'vote' or remark about General MIDI.
Just had to post this. Mostly made with farts and other toiletry. http://www11.nrk.no/urort/artist/DjHval ... fault.aspx
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

Rosskey

Re: What was the worst synthesizer you've ever owned?

Post by Rosskey » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:04 pm

Yamaha MK100 with miniature keys #-o but, paved the way for workstations though..was my first keyboard (Technically not a synth but was meant to be a synth bought as a gift)

circa 1983
Current: Roland SH-201, RS-70, XP-30, XP-50, D-50 w/ PG-1000
Previous:Yamaha SY22, Yamaha AN1X, Roland MC-303, Alpha Juno 1,Casio CZ-1000 First: Yamaha MKS100 1983/4

docflick
Gear: Yamaha SY85 / SY99 / Motif 6 / MO8 / Korg MS2000/ Clavia Nord Rack 2x (sold)

Post by docflick » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:02 am

Yamaha DX9 - embarrassed to even admit owning it (though I was young and stupid when I bought it new) - practically unusable; all the challenges of FM with added limitations #-o
Yamaha SY85 / SY99 / Motif 6 / MO8

discointellect
Gear: Doepfer A100 / MFB / Analogue Solutions Modular, Sequentix P3, Waldorf uQ KB, Cheetah MS6
Band: Diverse Audio Laboratory

Post by discointellect » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:58 pm

It's nice to see quite a lot of gear I've owned popping up on this list - Yamaha CX5, Red Sound Darkstar, Casio VZ8 etc. Truth is however I quite liked all of them - I didn't have much else at the time I owned each of them which I think encouraged me to actually use them and get the best out of them I could. The one synth I did buy, use about 3 times then get rid of again was an E-mu XL1; looked great on paper but for whatever reason I just didn't get on with it at all.
(Ad lib to fade)