Memorymoog Plus - who else here uses one?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Memorymoog Plus - who else here uses one?

Post by hfinn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:32 am

Continuing with my Macbeth M5 thread, I thought I would ask who else hear uses a Memorymoog? To me, it's most definitely in the top five best sounding polysynths.

Brief glimpse into some of the sounds it can make:

urgetoplay

Re: Memorymoog Plus - who else here uses one?

Post by urgetoplay » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:07 am

Go ahead, get it out of your system so you can sell it to me 8 months from now [-o< [-o< [-o<
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:09 am

I've got a non-plus MemMoog. Bought the sequencer/MIDI board from marriedfrompatchcords to upgrade it to a Plus, but I'm missing some cables to hoo it up internally, I think.

Yes, the MemMoog is capable of very interesting sounds.

goom

Post by goom » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:41 am

I also own one. It's a non-plus model. It's also one of the best sounding polys that I've ever heard/used. The Memorymoog tends to remind me of certain classic Tomita sounds. The ones that you hear and think...now THAT is cool! :)

Nice MP3, btw hfinn...

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:54 am

The MM sort of reminds me (a lot actually) of the prophet 5. Both are curtis machines, both have a 'poly mod' section, etc. Although the MM is much more extensive.

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Post by guitarsandsynths » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:02 am

I want one!!!!
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

bsh

Post by bsh » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:47 am

As far as a really nice poly, the MM and the Chroma are a the top of my list, but I've heard things about both from a reliability standpoint that have made me wary (the Chroma more so, but still).

Maybe it isn't a huge deal if you're not dragging it around a lot, which I wouldn't be, but that's my worry, especially buying something off eBay I haven't sat down with.
MidiMini, MacBeth M5, Synthesizers.com 44 space, MV-8000, VP-9000, RE-201. Arp Solina, Rhodes Chroma Polaris, Prophet 600, ARP 2600, Prophet 5.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:44 am

There are apparently a couple hanging around in Quebec, Canada for "cheap."

A Plus in Quebec City for $2500 Canadian. Confirmed by a guy who bought an 808 from the person for $1000.

A standard Memorymoog in Montreal for $2000 Canadian.

I don't have the money for either and am too chicken to get one shipped. I hear so much can go wrong when they're moved.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

BoxPhenom

Post by BoxPhenom » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:26 am

I'm the guy who bought the 808 ,

Both Memorymoog are sold.

The demo posted is great, when I tried the MM+ I couldn't believe how good it sounded!

It sounded like the perfect synth to score a soundtrack with.
You might not be able to use all its thickness in, say, a typical dance music track, but it's there if you need it I guess.

I'll stick with Jupiter-4 for polyphony.

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:24 am

I own one too. With Lintronics L.A.M.M. added.
It's a super synth, only the making of e.g. nice pads seems hard to do (to me), unless using FX signal processors adding chorus or phasers. But I guess that's pretty typcial for MOOG synths (except with modular systems or a Polymoog).
But the lead sounds are incredibly stunning, as well as the basses.
Also great for organ/keyboard sounds.

Recently I've been in dubio by this: I've been reckoning a bit, and for the price of selling a perfectly looking and working MM with L.A.M.M. like mine (even no small scratch !), I could probably be buying a whole set of other vintage must-have's like e.g. an ARP Odyssey, MOOG Polymoog (all Gary Numan sounds !), a string machine (ELKA Rhapsody or ARP Solina), ánd a Roland VP-330 (string machine and great classic vocoder). That entire set (!) for ± the same price as the LAMM'ed MM...

Any hint from you Heath about doing that sale ? The dark side of this is the fact that IF I do that sale, I'll have the luck to have thes other great classics, but I'll probably never be able again to get such a nice and well-working LAMM'ed MM 'cause in my opinion the steep raising prices will never going down again... Grrrr....
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:06 pm

Nice demo!

goom

Post by goom » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:01 pm

hfinn wrote:The MM sort of reminds me (a lot actually) of the prophet 5. Both are curtis machines, both have a 'poly mod' section, etc. Although the MM is much more extensive.
I can hear a slight resemblence but IMHO, the MM blows the P5 out of the water. Even with simple sounds the MM sounds so much more alive and interesting. My opinion is based on using my P5 Rev 3.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:22 pm

When I made the comparison I meant more in architecture. There is some overlap in sound, but not a lot.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:30 pm

I just now listened to your demo. Good stuff there. The first part reminds me of some of Jan Hammer's work on Miami Vice. I know he had a MemMoog, but not sure if he used it on the show.

goom

Post by goom » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:25 pm

hfinn wrote:When I made the comparison I meant more in architecture. There is some overlap in sound, but not a lot.
Oh yes, that's what so strange to me. The fact that have a similar architecture but sound so different. I'd love to check out a P5 rev 2 in person someday to see how it stacks up to the MM.