How have Arturia Origin sales been?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sensorium

How have Arturia Origin sales been?

Post by sensorium » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:23 am

Just curious if they are as dismal as I thought they would be... Has anyone bought one?

supermel74

Re: How have Arturia Origin sales been?

Post by supermel74 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:36 am

I'll bet sales are close to zero. Really cool idea and implementation but $2500 IS WAY TOO f**k EXPENSIVE

gd

Post by gd » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:22 pm

Definately tough economic times to sell this synth, on the other hand I hear that the much lower priced Plugiator is doing very well.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:23 pm

I'm sure if some VSE regular had bought one we'd know about it already ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

The Manitou

Post by The Manitou » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:48 pm

I know someone with a background in synth design that recently bought one. I'm waiting to hear his thoughts on it, so when he gets back to me I'll let you know. Personally I like the concept but the price is a bit much.
Gear: Novation K-Station; Roland Alpha Juno-1, SP-404; Yamaha CS-5, CS01; Crumar Performer; Casio CZ-1000, SK-1 & 2; Akai S1000; Stylophone; circuit-bent stuff.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:25 pm

i played one for a bit in guitar center... my major issue with it is that it sounds exactly like thier vsts... which when you buy all at once are still cheaper than the origin

the modular ability of it is very interesting though, it seems like something I would have picked up if I didn't already have a good VA, and that is another issue, at this point everyone has a virus or a blofeld or some other really deep VA, so the origin seems a bit unnecessary

I also think they should add a bit more than just the modular VA thing and add something like comb filters, formant filters, or just something to really differentiate it from the pack

at the end of the day they arent really 'arp 2600' oscillators, they are just choices between different digital oscs
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:10 pm

A Solaris wouldn't cost a whole lot more and does the same things (although unlicensed) the Origin does and a whole lot more innovative stuff as well.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:17 am

yeah... the Solaris would be a much better choice for a digital UltraSynth, I agree.
I haven't seen or played either one...but from my experience using Arturia, and my understanding of John Bowen's background and commitment to Solaris - well, in comparison the Origin is pretty much toast, methinks.

I would be amazed if Origin turns out to be the next generation of Nord Modular-type synth, but I'm not holding my breath. I will be surprised if they can sell many for over 1500 USD.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:24 am

shaft9000 wrote: I would be amazed if Origin turns out to be the next generation of Nord Modular-type synth, but I'm not holding my breath.
It doesn't really have the same functionality as the NM line, no? It looks like you mostly get the VCO/VCF/VCA + EG/LFO building blocks, rather than the conucopia the Nords offer.
virb.com/ookpikk

deb76

Post by deb76 » Sun May 10, 2009 9:11 am

Hello,

Here the first [url = http://www.d758076.eu/MP3/Origin1erEssai320.mp3]sounds[/ url] (40MB and 320 kps) to give you an idea of the dynamics and quality, knowing on the one hand there is still a loss in the register in the computer, compared to what fate directly from the Origin, then there is the loss with the MP3. But good. They were made from presets that I have tampered with.

The first sound from the single note changes DO2 maintained at the height with small variations in the Joystick, it is also very finely on the filter with small glissendos. The overall tempo was set at 10 bpm. Otherwise, a sequence 120. This adjustment of the tempo is very useful.
The second is in the same lineage. The third is a little more dirty, more dirty.
The third is generated from a MIDI sequence, I played with the joystick and the filter parameters.

Then for the 3rd and 4th sounds, I'm not sure whether you like it. This is done again from the DO2 kept notes on the keyboard and drone, and I played on the joystick to get a kind of electronic voice against evolving. The 4th is more digital in its report, that approach what I want to find sounds.

Origin Arturia is really great. The sounds is nice amplitude and dynamics that I can't with my plugs Arturia. The origin is very open, with its 32 voices of polyphony, and especially its modulations. This is an experimental machine, very effective in experimental music.
Origin Arturia, Yamaha SY 99 & EX5R, Evolver, G2 Engine, Stratocaster Roland midi, AudioSculpt & Open Music of IRCAM, Moog Modular V2, Prophet VS, EMS Avs, Tassman 4, Arturia Brass, Max Msp 5, Fireface 800. http://magelectrique.blogspot.com/

cl516

Post by cl516 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:30 am

I've put up a few demos of my own also.
Please CLICK to check it out.

steveman

Post by steveman » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:25 am

Murderhausen wrote:A Solaris wouldn't cost a whole lot more and does the same things (although unlicensed) the Origin does and a whole lot more innovative stuff as well.
'Not a whole lot more' ? :shock: Nearly double at $2000 more (current price on the Solaris is $4500). Not saying won't be worth it though...

deb76

Post by deb76 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:49 am

Off Topic
I played one for a bit in guitar center... my major issue with it is that it sounds exactly like thier vsts...
Really ? I'm surprised you've actually tried it? For the Arturia Origin - but also the Moog Modular V2, Prophet VS, Jupiter 8 and Arp 2600 - I can assure you that the sound is very different from Vst, it sounds like a synth, it is powerful, fine sound and a strong dynamic.
For my part, it is a very powerful synth, which sells well.

Thanks for tour demo cl516, I will listen now.
Origin Arturia, Yamaha SY 99 & EX5R, Evolver, G2 Engine, Stratocaster Roland midi, AudioSculpt & Open Music of IRCAM, Moog Modular V2, Prophet VS, EMS Avs, Tassman 4, Arturia Brass, Max Msp 5, Fireface 800. http://magelectrique.blogspot.com/

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:22 pm

deb76 wrote:
Off Topic
I played one for a bit in guitar center... my major issue with it is that it sounds exactly like thier vsts...
Really ? I'm surprised you've actually tried it? For the Arturia Origin - but also the Moog Modular V2, Prophet VS, Jupiter 8 and Arp 2600 - I can assure you that the sound is very different from Vst, it sounds like a synth, it is powerful, fine sound and a strong dynamic.
For my part, it is a very powerful synth, which sells well.

Thanks for tour demo cl516, I will listen now.
If the filters and whatnot in the origin (or any digital hardware synth really) sound better to you than softsynth filters, you either need a better softsynth, a better soundcard, a higher sample rate, or to lay off the placebos.

deb76

Post by deb76 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:06 pm

Off Topic
If the filters and whatnot in the origin (or any digital hardware synth really) sound better to you than softsynth filters, you either need a better softsynth, a better soundcard, a higher sample rate, or to lay off the placebos.
you either need a better softsynth : I have the Moog Modular V2, Prophet VS, Arp 2600, Jupiter 8 off Arturia, but also Tassman 4 of Applied Acoustic and Omnisphere of Spectrasonic.
Are they not good vst ?

a better soundcard : I have a RME Fireface 400 et 8OO. Are they not good soundcards ?

I continue, I have good vst, I have the Yamaha SY 99 and EX5R, the Clavia G2 Engine, the Evolver, I work regularly with VST synths and hardware. And I say that so far the Arturia Origin synth is my best.