How have Arturia Origin sales been?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sensorium

Re: How have Arturia Origin sales been?

Post by sensorium » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:42 pm

23 wrote:Oddly enough, Thomann contradicts there own information....
weird.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/topseller_tasy.html
I work in manufacturing and you would be surprised (or not) by the way these "top 10" lists usually work. Let's just say it works more like an auction.

Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:04 am

Furthering Stab Frenzy's point about RA Moog Minis versus Moog Music minis, I'd like to point out that no one thinks a Nord Lead, Nord Lead 2, or Nord Lead 3 sound alike. I assume- for the most part- that the grit and dirt of the original compared to its followers is all made up bullshit, but for some reason there is no room for imagined subtle differences between two analogue emulative instruments by the same company in Origin. I mean... if Arturia really were able to exactly replicate the sound of their VSTs in the Origin as some people allude, they sure make the programmers at Clavia look like amateurs according to popular myth.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:27 am

Murderhausen wrote:Furthering Stab Frenzy's point about RA Moog Minis versus Moog Music minis, I'd like to point out that no one thinks a Nord Lead, Nord Lead 2, or Nord Lead 3 sound alike. I assume- for the most part- that the grit and dirt of the original compared to its followers is all made up bullshit, but for some reason there is no room for imagined subtle differences between two analogue emulative instruments by the same company in Origin. I mean... if Arturia really were able to exactly replicate the sound of their VSTs in the Origin as some people allude, they sure make the programmers at Clavia look like amateurs according to popular myth.
One major thing that changed with the Leads were the DACs (if I remember correctly).
Now could Clavia replicate their sound if they wanted?
Well, essentially yes, and they did. Recall the Nord Lead 2 was made twice, and it's second incarnation was POST Nord Lead 3 (being the Nord Lead 2x). From what I understand, the biggest reason Clavia did this was simply because some people didn't like the further clearing in sound that they were able to fashion with the Nord Lead 3.

Now oddly, could this be done without reverting back to old DACs.
Roland essentially proved that to be a yes.
That was the big thing with their VC-1 card, it wasn't so much just converting the old D-50 code, they had to nail down emulation of the resulting output of the old DACs.

With the V-Synth GT, I didn't mind the lack of the D-50 card. The fact of the matter was the V already had an arch that allowed for well enough D-50 emulation in and of itself as far as I was concerned. Did it miss out on the subtleties of the D-50s DACs?
Sure. But I couldn't care less about that.
For whatever reason, when Roland decided they were going to remake the D-50, they decided they were going to go all out and not just remake the D-50, but not just convert, but write completely new additional code to adjust what the sound was like when coming out of better DACs.
So yeah....if Clavia felt like wasting the time, they could have done it.

Now, is this a problem Aurtaria faces?
No. The fact of the matter is the DACs being used to output their softwares sound is so varied that they are looking at an inherently failed mission from the word go. But can they nail it for one specific setting (DAC capbility set) of their choosing?
Well, I see no reason why they couldn't.
How can you test it out?
Use the Origin as an audio interface (Arturia said they'd be giving it this ability, not sure if they have yet), and allow the Art's VSTi's to be ran out of the Origin itself with identical patches setup.
Going by Art's own statements (which I posted earlier), you should end up with identical results.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:23 am

Since I did not think to ask this question when I had the rep there, I'm wondering if anyone here would know: using the software instruments, can you mix and match modules from each to create new "instruments" or are they (the software synths) separate entities unto themselves?

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:25 am

No, the softsynths are hard-patched and you can't change out modules. That's one of the reasons that has been mentioned for the Origin sounding different.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:35 am

Sorry, Stab - should have known this - been a while since I read the thread from the beginning.

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

sparks

Post by sparks » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi!

One thing that has not been mentioned in this thread (AFAIK, might have missed it) is usability/work-flow which I think is getting more and more important, because, let's face it, most stuff out there today be it VA or analogue sound pretty good and is relatively affordable.

I got the Origin after having spent some time with it at this years Messe, and to me it's just FUN and inspiring, and that's good enough for me. :D

In the relatively short time I've had the Origin I have spent more time playing, patching and tweaking it than I did with the Voyager that I traded in for it, or the NordMod G2X that I used to have, maybe even combined.

For me, it get's used, a lot, more than any gear I own right now, and I'm having more fun with it than I have had with a synth in a long long time.

Might be worth mentioning that I also own a Virus TI and I think the compliment each other well. As far as Arturia stuff I also own their Moog Modular V witch is nice but I can't really compare it to the origin. Got some analouges as well.

Best regards, gotta run. Sparks

deb76

Post by deb76 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:07 pm

I have spent more time playing, patching and tweaking it than I did with the Voyager that I traded in for it, or the NordMod G2X that I used to have, maybe even combined.
For me, it get's used, a lot, more than any gear I own right now, and I'm having more fun with it than I have had with a synth in a long long time.
Since I have the Origin Arturia, I no longer work with my other hardware synths - Yamaha SY99 and EX5R, G2 Engine and Evolver - and for me it is a real pleasure to play with the Origin, I found with the buttons and the sequencer, the possibilities of modulation, the sensations I had with the Ems Synthi Aks. And to this day is the best hardware synth I have and that I had.
Origin Arturia, Yamaha SY 99 & EX5R, Evolver, G2 Engine, Stratocaster Roland midi, AudioSculpt & Open Music of IRCAM, Moog Modular V2, Prophet VS, EMS Avs, Tassman 4, Arturia Brass, Max Msp 5, Fireface 800. http://magelectrique.blogspot.com/

XpanderXt

Post by XpanderXt » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:00 pm

I have the Origin and love it. I did factory presets for it, which is not my day job, because it is interesting. I have done factory presets for a number of companies. I have sent products back because they we no fun to use or the sound was less than great. This was not the case in the Origin.

The whole debate of 'it's a computer running a vst' is kind of lame. Any synth that is not pure analog or digital controlled analog is basically as computer running software. Going back to the DX7, Fairlight, Synclavier, etc.
About half of my Oberheim Xpander is a computer running software (envelopes, LFO's, etc) All of the Nord products, all of the Access products, the Alesis Micron/Ion, Blofeld, Waldorf Microwave XT, Roland V-synth, the mythical Solaris (which has been 3 months away from shipping for 2 years now), and the Origin are all computers running software.
The real issue is:
1. does it sound good?
2. does it inspire you to use it an make music?
All of the synth snobbery arguments are really lame. It's really about do you like the sound and user interface.

I have a Prophet 5, Pro 1 Prophet T8, Andromeda, Oberheim Xpander, Microwave XT, + more. I can say for sure that the Origin sounds as good as any of these. Each of these instruments have their strengths and weaknesses. Each one inspires in a different way. One is not better than the other. They are all different.

The topic is how are they selling?
I have no idea, only Arturia knows that.
I can imagine that they aren't doing great because all synths are hurting. The only ones doing really well are the Microkorg, Microkorg XL and the Alesis Micron. The sub-$500 units. But while these sound good, they lack the 'musical instrument' quality that feel products like the Virus TI, Origin and Nord Wave have.
I saw a monthly US sales report from Music Trak that showed the Mopho sold 24 units in a month. The Blofeld sold 20. I heard that when the Nord G2 modular was still around that it sold less than 10 units a month in the US. The Little phatty does not sell more than probably 50 units a month in the US.
I worked at Roland years ago and still know people there. They are laying off, shutting down factories, etc.
The synth market is hurting big time right now.
The economy and the fact that people think $2000 is a lot for a synth has killed them.
I remember (sounding really old) when I paid $2600 for my Prophet 5 and a Jupiter 8/OBXa costs in the $3500 - 4500 range. The DX7 was a steal at $1,995. That same Prophet 5 with inflation from 1982 to 2009 would cost you $5,811.42.

I'd say that $2500 for the Origin, considering what it does and how it sounds, is a good deal ( better deal than my Prophet 5 was) as is most of the gear out there.