Clavia Nord Wave / Korg EXB-MOSS

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
BlazingtheMelody

Clavia Nord Wave / Korg EXB-MOSS

Post by BlazingtheMelody » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:12 am

One thing I like doing with synthesizers is to create, for example, a clarinet sound. But not a clarinet sound so close to a real clarinet that you can´t difference if it´s real or if it´s synthesized (for this I prefer using samples). I mean, a sound quite similar to a real instrument but you can hear that it comes from a synthesizer.

I have found that the EXB-MOSS installed in my Korg Triton can do this job great.

What´s your opinion about the Nord Wave for this job?

Thanks a lot

radiospace

Re: Clavia Nord Wave / Korg EXB-MOSS

Post by radiospace » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:22 am

It's pretty hard to answer your question without hearing what you mean by "quite similar" but "synthesized."

You can certainly create synthetic sounds in the general style of the clarinet.... whether they sound "quite similar" or not depends on what the meaning of the word is, is.

There are numerous methods you can use with the Wave to do clarinet-like sounds:

---download and install one of the clarinet samples from the Nord website (there are at least two, both mellotron samples) and use them as is
---use the above samples as the basis for synthesis (i.e., using them to modulate a triangle wave using FM or "Pulse Modulation")
---synthesize from scratch using analog waveforms (triangle or pulse)
---synthesize from scratch using FM synthesis
---sample your EXB-MOSS and load the sounds into the Wave, then use that as the basis for variations on the sound you already like
---sample a real clarinet and load that into the Wave, then synthesize with it

I think with all of the above at your disposal, whether you can get the exact sound you're looking for is more of a matter of skill and ingenuity than the limitations of the instrument. If there is one limitation you should be aware of in regards to the Wave synthesizing real wind instruments, I'd say it is that there are limited envelopes and LFO's at your disposal (3 envelopes and 2 LFOs, none of which are freely assignable to all parameters). On the other hand, almost any combination of parameters can be modulated by the mod wheel, velocity, or a foot pedal, so for the most complex synthesis you need to be prepared to perform the part rather than just rely on preset envelopes to shape the sound for you.

I'd say in general the Wave is at its best when exploring the sounds that lie between reproductions of mechanical instruments and purely synthetic sounds... compared to your desires it might be more suited to doing stuff that is a little more unique, strange, and unexpected than getting "quite similar" to a clarinet, though there's little doubt using some combination of the tools at your disposal (listed above) that you could do that, too.