RM1x alternative for live performance?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sepiakeys
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Hardware Synthesizers and Guitar Effects
Band: There will be Lions

RM1x alternative for live performance?

Post by sepiakeys » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:49 am

Hello there

I am looking for a nice hardware sequencer to add to live performance. I should replace my RM1x, which really is a great Sequencer, but f****s up playing external gear, by always sending program changes, even though PC-sending is disabled in the midi setup!

So i am looking for a (preferably small and portable) sequencer. It should be able to record in loops an build the songs out of patterns and sections (like the RM1x does). The most important thing is the ability to switch the different sections of a song with a foot switch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
Good programming is worth more than the most expensive synthesizer.

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Re: RM1x alternative for live performance?

Post by premieklovn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:18 pm

The Korg EMX-1 is in my opinion a fun sequencer but I'm not sure about the footswitch-thingy.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:55 pm

The synth tracks in the EMX-1 are not polyphonic and track mute/solo requires holding multiple buttons which is not ideal for live performance :(

I would suggest Alesis MMT-8 or Roland MC-80.

And, obviously, an octopus would be great if you have the means :D

Also, don't let the footswitch thing trip you up. You can get a footswitch box from Midi Solutions that will send any midi message you want (song select, program change, etc).

sepiakeys
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by sepiakeys » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:08 pm

StepLogik wrote: Also, don't let the footswitch thing trip you up. You can get a footswitch box from Midi Solutions that will send any midi message you want (song select, program change, etc).
Won't there be latency during playback when one switches between the tracks with program changes?

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:47 pm

The mc 909 I think can do what you're asking for in spades, but at the same time I seem to recall that there are quirks in its sequencers os
blunted daydreaming

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:25 pm

This will solve your RM1X's PC transmission issues:

$130 at MF
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:44 pm

I have a couple of those MS Event Processors and they are incredible devices. They don't introduce a lot of delay and are easy to program.

These boxes are what the Yamaha MEP4 wishes it was.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:15 pm

get a RS7000.

dont look back.

gigging with it is a real joy.. phenomenal UI. real time mangling. sampling to boot.. im driving both internal sounds, samples, and external CV hardware via Kenton Pro 2000. life is good again..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:31 pm

sepiakeys wrote:I am looking for a nice hardware sequencer to add to live performance. I should replace my RM1x, which really is a great Sequencer, but f****s up playing external gear, by always sending program changes, even though PC-sending is disabled in the midi setup!
I've heard stories about this bug... can I get a bit more info? I should be getting an RM1x in the near future, just for fun and giggles.

Also, because I've stopped using the RS7000's sampling abilities and am now using an Akai Z4, I'm contemplating going down the route of downgrading to an RM1x. Or at least having one so I can sit on the couch and muck around with...

So basically every time you change a pattern, it automatically sends a program change message to external hardware? Out of curiosity, can you not filter it on the input of the external hardware and/or do sysex instead?
sepiakeys wrote:So i am looking for a (preferably small and portable) sequencer. It should be able to record in loops an build the songs out of patterns and sections (like the RM1x does). The most important thing is the ability to switch the different sections of a song with a foot switch.
clusterchord wrote:get a RS7000. dont look back.
x2. I use a RS7000 as well. Awesome machine. And the logical answer if you are familiar with the RM1x

Plus:
A N Other Forum wrote: Disadvantages of the RM1x vs RS7000

NO Proper XOX sequening with full monitor of other tracks whilst recording.
NO seemless punch in/out record modes from step to realtime too XOX with full track switching on the fly and monitoring of all tracks simultaneous as you step and xox record.
No proper implementation of XOX for odd time signatures like on the RS7K.
Absolutely ZERO realtime loop remix facilties for any midi data what so ever.
You will get the midi channel reset bug on the RM1X that was eliminated from the RS7K.
No burning of time signature too TG for burning of time sig data into individual phrases.
Way fewer freely assignable CC knobs for your outboard gear and no SCENES for recall of any tweaks and patch specific settings for out board on each track.
Significantly reduced handson midi play effects and processing.
No Arpeggiator.
Do you want me to go on here ?
The size/weigh thing of the RS vs the RM1x; here if anyone is interested:

RS7000 : 7kg; 134 (H) x 263 (D) x 440 (W)
RM1x: 4.4Kg; 98 (H) x 282 (D) x 420 (W)

Tip: Buy a flightcase to hold a Technics 1200 size turntable, couple of little cuts of the foam, and you have a perfect snug as a bug flihtcase for the RS7000.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:09 pm

i just got an MPC500 and it seems like it'll do everything you want. the only thing i'm not sure on is the foot switch -- it'd have to be a MIDI foot switch as the 500 doesn't have a 1/4" jack for this purpose.

i've only had one for a few days and i'm really impressed with how quickly and easily i can get around it. you can easily mix its internal sampling with external MIDI gear, it's small as can be, runs on batteries and thus far, it seems to have rock solid timing.

Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:53 pm

I posted this question in the Help! forum, but it might not hurt to ask on a related topic. Is there a way to record track mutes on the RM1X? I've had the thing for almost two years and it always causes me great trouble when trying to convert something to song mode. Using the pattern mode and trying to switch sections while controlling track mutes is nearly impossible and very UN-fun.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:33 pm

killedaway wrote:i just got an MPC500 and it seems like it'll do everything you want.
Had any problems with bugs or crashes? The 500 is notoriously buggy, or so I've heard.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:22 am

StepLogik wrote:
killedaway wrote:i just got an MPC500 and it seems like it'll do everything you want.
Had any problems with bugs or crashes? The 500 is notoriously buggy, or so I've heard.
not a single one. maybe i'm not taxing it as hard as some folks, but it's been smooth sailing so far. i'm still on the original F/W as well, 1.00, i think.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:23 am

clusterchord wrote:get a RS7000.

dont look back.

gigging with it is a real joy.. phenomenal UI. real time mangling. sampling to boot.. im driving both internal sounds, samples, and external CV hardware via Kenton Pro 2000. life is good again..

Shes a beauty!
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

sepiakeys
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by sepiakeys » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:57 pm

Rusty O'Hara wrote:
I've heard stories about this bug... can I get a bit more info? I should be getting an RM1x in the near future, just for fun and giggles.
As far as I could find out, the bug lies in the OS, which is stored on an Eprom-Chip. Only the first models (don't know up to which serial number) with the old OS have this problem. Getting a new OS into the RM1x needs a replacement of this Eprom-Chip. Yamaha used to do the upgrade for the owners of the models with the "bad" OS. But now they don't have any of these Chips left! Some might still be sitting in Yamaha tech-centers around the world, but they cannot be ordered in Japan anymore.