Doepfer Dark Energy

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
synthshaw

Re: Doepfer Dark Energy

Post by synthshaw » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:39 pm

As we're on the subject of the Doepfer modular(sort of) i'd like to ask a question.
I'm looking into building a smallish modular setup for myself. I've looked at the Doepfer and other eurorack systems,and there are tons of modules to choose from. But i'm not sure about the basic tone of the oscillators.
I have a roland SH2 and love the raw growl that the osc's produce, when you get them tuned very close in unison you get a great sound that can't be done on chip based analogs(not bashing them by the way) chip based monos are good in their own way but basically what i'm trying to ask is, Do the new modulars sound dirty and discrete?,if that makes any sense.Cus my sh-2 aint gona last forever and i'd like a modular for the unlimited options they offer. Thanks

ps Dark energy looks very nice indeed.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:50 pm

hyphen nation wrote:I wonder about the one without the case...I would like this in one of the doepfer mini cases with the handles...
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:22 pm

rockmanrock wrote:Wonder if Doepfer would sell more modulars if they painted them black and put Moog knobs on?
Yes. Stock Doepfer stuff is just so "meh" looking. Naturally sound is the most important factor, but visuals do affect people quite a bit. Sex sells :D

- CM

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:09 am

otto wrote:
hyphen nation wrote:I wonder about the one without the case...I would like this in one of the doepfer mini cases with the handles...
yes please....
prob not cost effective, but it'd be rad to build two little cases, one with the synth, and one with modulation/filters...

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:17 am

I like Doepfer's "clinical" looks and their aesthetics appeal to me. I've decided that I'm going modular again(not because of this post mind you)...

There's a cliche saying amongst surfers that goes, "Go big or don't go at all." Yeah, it's super-cliche but I AM going big this time.
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:22 am

Shanesaw wrote:I like Doepfer's "clinical" looks and their aesthetics appeal to me. I've decided that I'm going modular again(not because of this post mind you)...

There's a cliche saying amongst surfers that goes, "Go big or don't go at all." Yeah, it's super-cliche but I AM going big this time.
you ditchin the XS? are you inshane in the membrane?
for sale/trade: EML-101

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:38 am

Shanesaw wrote:I like Doepfer's "clinical" looks and their aesthetics appeal to me. I've decided that I'm going modular again(not because of this post mind you)...

haha... well the cliche amongst snowboarders is "Go big or go home"... A little easier to say :lol: :wink:

Anyways, on that note, I'm actually thinking of selling the very nice doepfer rig I just picked up... I love it, but... sigh.. I'm a vintage slut. So anyone's actually interested in a sweet modular, gimme a shout.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:34 pm

nadafarms wrote:

you ditchin the XS? are you inshane in the membrane?
no way! The XS is a keeper para siempre.
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:55 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Shanesaw wrote:The Doepfer site says 24dB low pass. I'd love to build up a 4 voice with various filter combinations.
That's certainly feasible-if you can find a system 100 keyboard!-but even then, it would only be 4 x 1 osc. How else could you do this? maybe with some weird midi overflow configuration, or maybe with some clever software via usb. Some patch in PD/MAX maybe?
all u need is ANY midi controller keyboard and a POLYDAC midi/cv converter, it got 4 voice polyphonic mode. rotating scheme as most polyphonics. its a design by modulus electronics that has been arround for years, in many different forms, incarnations. oakley sold it as well. mybe still is.

its usually DIY only, but i think elby desings sells, partial kits, maybe even finished units..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:58 pm

I think it looks cool, but I always wish with these semi-modulars that they'd include just one 'crazy' module, like a sophisticated ring mod or frequency shifter, that could help introduce the sounds that you can't make with a normal monosynth. As it is, it's fairly limited (though am fully aware that lots of people like that).

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:11 pm

Putting a frequency shifter in their would double the price. Those modules are not cheap. It would be cool to have though.