Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz (New Album)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
insky

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz (New Album)

Post by insky » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:52 am

It's been forever since I've been on here but I just wanted to see if anybody has gotten a chance to hear the Yeah Yeah Yeahs new album yet. It came out for digital download just about a week ago, and will be available on CD on April 30th. Unlike their previous albums that were mostly guitar with a synth here or there this one is mostly synths with a guitar here or there. I read somewhere that explained it was "an Arp", and then with an interview with the BBC they explained that it had only four sounds and that the strings were broken, which is what they bought it for because they were supposed to be really lush. From that description I'm thinking it's a Solina String Synthesizer or the Explorer 1. Anybody know what it is?

It's a really good album. It definitely sounds like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs but with synths. Anybody else take a listen to it yet?
Stuff I own:
X Station
ESQ-1
JX-8P
Poly 800
MaxiKorg 800DV
Elka Rhapsody 610

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz (New Album)

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:25 pm

I have to say I heard their first album and immediately went and dug out my old Bush Tetras records. I didn't bother with their second, but I will give this a listen to see what they've come up with. I hope it's interesting to me, as I think they have great promise. I read an interview (not the BBC one) with them somewhere recently that I read and they talked about recording in Texas somewhere - wish I could find it again!

As far as the Bush Tetras go, if you haven't heard them, I'd suggest picking up "Boom In The Night," which is a compilation of their singles, Eps, and the like. The production and age of the album don't allow it to pack the same sonic punch as newer recordings, but at the time ... WOW! It really stood my head on end. Up there with British noise funk like Gang of Four and the Au Pairs, they blazed a trail that has influenced many who don't bother to namecheck them, which I find sad.

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:27 pm

Ah, Ut was cooler than the Tetras...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

secularatom
Gear: Moog Prodigy, Moog Voyager Old School, Roland Juno 60, Microkorg, Korg Rhythm 55B, Mattel Synsonic Drum Machine, various Eurorack Modules
Band: Eternal Turtle

Post by secularatom » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:04 pm

im downloading it riiiiight now...legally of course. :-"
It's turtles-turtles-turtles all the way down!

Invention
Gear: Roland RS-50

Post by Invention » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:33 am

New CD lost what made the yeah yeah yeah's the YYY's.

Spunk.

It has none of that. Very boring.

They replaced they're originality with synthesizers...I hate this.

This is not the band i once loved.

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:46 am

I like what I've heard so far.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S