Boss DR-202: any thoughts on it (especially the synth/bass)?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Boss DR-202: any thoughts on it (especially the synth/bass)?

Post by killedaway » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:13 am

hope this topic is okay in General, as i'm most concerned with the few bass and synth sounds included in the DR-202, though i'm open to hearing anyone's thoughts about it (hopefully from people who have owned it). further still, the filter sections on the 202 also seems to lend it a synth-y vibe, vs. a dead-ahead drum machine. i tried my best to seek out some demos, but all i could scrounge up were some miserable YouTube videos -- miserable due to user error, and not the instrument itself. a lot of badly recorded "wump wump bish bish kap" garbage from people who apparently don't know how to use the bloody thing. save for one video of a fellow running his alongside an Acidlab Bassline (which was decent, but didn't really demo the DR-202 at all) and another with some guy doing some decent record-scratching, i'm almost convinced that this thing attracts only the mentally bereft. say it ain't so!

i just read an old review on it from Sound On Sound, and while it may be a bit dated, it sounds like it's capable of some decent stuff: lots of filters to choose from (i previously thought it only had one!), numerous Roland machine samples, lots of sequencer memory, "motion sequencing", decent pattern length (up to 8 measures), some okay effects, and more. other than the amateurish RCA outputs, i couldn't find a lot to dislike. heck, it even uses batteries. i sort of regret not picking this up locally for $50 a few weeks back when i had the chance. of course at the time, i wasn't aware of what it could actually do.

i'm always interested in drum machines, and what caught my eye about this one is that it also has a decent handful of bass sounds, including some 303 samples, that can be filtered along with (or separate from) the drum section. has anyone here had much experience with the DR-202? how are the samples? how easy is it to build new patterns? do you use it much? if not, what do you dislike the most about it? little budget items like this tend to captivate me for some weird reason. i guess that's why -- in spite of the fact that i have much more robust and expensive gear -- i spend so much time doodling around on my EA-1. i like coaxing cool patterns out of the "little guys" and compiling them into more detailed compositions. the DR-202 seems like a worthy candidate. i've got it's sibling, the SP202, but i lack the wretched 5V memory card to get my samples on board.

i'd love to hear a demo of the DR-202 in action, with some of the 303 sounds running, or any bass sounds, really. can anyone make my tiny dreams come true? [-o<
Last edited by killedaway on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Re: Boss DR-202: any thoughts on it (especially the synth/bass)?

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:48 pm

If you only paid $50 for it, you'd probably be better off keeping it. My advice is that if you don't have anything that overlaps the majority of the sounds it provides(liking them helps) then I wouldn't even think of getting rid of it. Don't forget, you could make it a dedicated beat box to be sent through a chain of FX and whatever other drummachine(s) you have will provide your clean hits.

....edit- include the synth bass sounds in my dedicated to FX comment.

It was only $50 right, surely you can find a use for it that will save something of more importance.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:37 am

Suburban Bather wrote:If you only paid $50 for it, you'd probably be better off keeping it. My advice is that if you don't have anything that overlaps the majority of the sounds it provides(liking them helps) then I wouldn't even think of getting rid of it. Don't forget, you could make it a dedicated beat box to be sent through a chain of FX and whatever other drummachine(s) you have will provide your clean hits.

....edit- include the synth bass sounds in my dedicated to FX comment.

It was only $50 right, surely you can find a use for it that will save something of more importance.
darn it, my typing sucks. i left out the word "not", as in, "i sort of regret NOT picking this up locally for $50". sorry for the mix-up. but yeah, i wish i'd bought it. i'm such a cheap-o sometimes. gonna edit my first post now...

FX23

Post by FX23 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:57 pm

i had one (got it cheap) it sucks big time.
worse than a mc303

weaker filters than a mc303

no power to the sounds at all, youll lose it all in the mix.. not really what you want from a drum machine!

the only thing it has going for it is the fact it runs on batteries and is probbaly good for circuit bending or a present for a kid!

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:42 pm

It would make a good battery powered companion to the Microkorg, especially with the external sequence track.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:51 am

supermel74 wrote:It would make a good battery powered companion to the Microkorg, especially with the external sequence track.
that's what i was thinking. it just seems like a handy little box that doesn't get much attention. sure the sounds aren't likely to be of the highest fidelity, but a lot of "wimpy" lo-fi devices out there still make their mark. maybe it's just that the DR-202 doesn't really have anything of "its own" to offer, being composed of just Roland samples and nothing else?