Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Post by Electroluver » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:27 am

Looks terrific. Those plastic sides are weak and they should have gone wood from the start.

BoxPhenom

Post by BoxPhenom » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 am

Christopher Winkels wrote:One other thought about wood....

It's not as though the wooden end cheeks were a purely Yank hallmark of the '70s and early '80s. Plenty of vintage American gear didn't have exposed wood sides: several Moogs (Micro, Poly, Sonic Six and Multi to name four), the Prophet VS and 2000, all Emulators, some ARP 2600 variants, Oberheim SEM-based gear, etc, etc.

Conversely the Japanese were not averse to doing wood sides, albeit often (though not exclusively) using particle board with melamine and HPL overlays in lieu of "real" wood: Yamaha''s CS-60, CS-40M, CS-20M, CS-70M, Roland's SH-1000, Korg's Polysix and MonoPoly.... I could go on.

I don't see the presence of wood as characteristic of one nation over another.
you're right it's not exclusive, but I think you also make the point by your examples that it is usually the case.

I think I used that example, accurately or not, because wood sides are usually associated with smaller shop productions vs plastic for bigger factory production.

The point I'm trying to make is that even a normal lower-end synth has a story to tell and a perceived upgrade to some might not be to others.
In this case replacing broken plastic ends with nice wood sides is certainly not a crime and of course people can do what they want with their own property but It wouldn't qualify to be in a museum with the caption "authentic late 1970's musical synthesizer keyboard", if it did have the busted plastic sides, it would. Of course you don't have to care about that at all, but I do.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:15 am

I'm trying, but I just can't get to the point where I feel like making sure that the plastic sides are preserved.
I might have felt differently in the past, but I guess I'm to a point where resale value is unimportant to me. There were modifications I could have done to analog synths I've owned, but I was always afraid of damaging the value. I'm opposed to modernizing analog synths in any way, too.
However, my particular CS-15 is going to be in my possession until it is stolen or until I die. While I can always appreciate the Japanese's kooky design aesthetic, I tend to believe that synths like the MS-20 and CS-15 were not part of it. The SH-1000... now there was a design aesthetic. Creative, colorful, varied, interesting... and containing real and quite nice wood. If I'm going to embrace the Japanese design aesthetic, I'm going to embrace the SH-1000... or the Jupiter 4... or the CS-50. Synths like the MSs and the non-M mono CSs were not designed with beauty or aesthetic in mind, they were pure commercial design... inexpensive metal, inexpensive plastic, total lack of design in knobs, and made completely of off-the-shelf components. All of the design went into the functionality, and none of the design (beyond shape) went into aesthetic.
Plastic on an analog synth is invariably s**t. It is a money choice and not a design choice because synths were used and played (even Minimoogs, etc.) when these synths were made... and any synth that was to be played was likely to be played live, and subject to various events. Plastic is NOT what you make a synth out of if this is the case. (or, it wasn't back then... now plastic abounds, and these plastic-clad synths are going to look like s**t if they are even still around in 20 years)
So, I think Korg and Yamaha took the inexpensive route in their physical design... and because of that, I feel no compelling urge to protect their non-aesthetic wholly-commercial choice.
If I would have held on to my PS-3100, you'd better BELIEVE I would have replaced that abhorrent fake wood s**t they encased that great synth in.
Anyway.
I hope this doesn't endanger my purist rep. :wink:

P.S. Micromoog had wood sides, it's just that the wood had metal around the edges.
The Japanese made plenty of pretty synths before they went into aeronautics mode. :wink:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:27 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Plastic on an analog synth is invariably s**t.
TR-606, 707, TB-303, SH-101, aJuno, JX-8P, CS-01, bass station...
Automatic Gainsay wrote:P.S. Micromoog had wood sides, it's just that the wood had metal around the edges.
AND a plastic housing! multimoog, polymoog...

it's not as nice as metal but it's not ALL s**t.

oryjen

Post by oryjen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:10 am

Well, I don't find the first one so pretty... Like on the MS series, wood ends is a really difficult esthetic problem.
I've put wood ends on others of my synths (Multitrack, Poly800II...), but never found the way for those particular ones.
Perhaphs the second one is better, with more clear and thick wood...
perhaps would it be really better with very thick ones, like on the CSxxM series...
Korg MS20-MS50-SQ10-X911-SuperDelta-800DV-MP4-Lambda ES50-severely modded Poly800-PE1000-M500SP-Trident MkII-KPR77-DSS1-P61//EkoSynth P15//YAMAHA CS30-CP30-DX9-01V//RSF Blackbox x2//Viscount CL1-R64//SCI Multitrack-P600//Roland GR500-SH1000

oryjen

Post by oryjen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:28 am

My Multitrak's new ends:

A friend's Multitrack other ends I made:

My Poly800 II's new look:
Korg MS20-MS50-SQ10-X911-SuperDelta-800DV-MP4-Lambda ES50-severely modded Poly800-PE1000-M500SP-Trident MkII-KPR77-DSS1-P61//EkoSynth P15//YAMAHA CS30-CP30-DX9-01V//RSF Blackbox x2//Viscount CL1-R64//SCI Multitrack-P600//Roland GR500-SH1000

oryjen

Post by oryjen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:30 am

Uuuuh... That Imageshak new version is a real s**t!