Page 1 of 2

Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:10 pm
by Christopher Winkels
So I received some new wood end panels from Synthwood this week and installed them this morning. Here are some shots of my (admittedly only five modest minutes of) labour.

The old end cheeks. Hard, fairly robust, but brittle plastic.

Image

The new cheeks. Pacific Walnut (shipped complete with new bolts and screws).

Image
Image

I must say the new cheeks riase the aesthetic appeal of the synth. More on the CS-15 in a follow-up post, but for now, here are some more shots of the synth's interior: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjmwinkels/

Enjoy!

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:07 pm
by nathanscribe
Mmm, not bad. The left cheek on my CS-15 has a small crack in it that allows the panel to wobble slightly when I pick it up. I considered getting some replacements from customsynth.co.uk, but never got round to it. Maybe it's time.

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:48 pm
by space6oy
Image
:D

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:04 am
by Christopher Winkels
Nice one. What is that? Cherry? Maple with a stain?

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:15 am
by Joey
looks really good chris, glad you are enjoying it

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:24 am
by Automatic Gainsay
I have got to call those people. They're even in my neighborhood!

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:25 am
by Christopher Winkels
Cheers, Joey.

I have a very big, very long post to put up later this week regarding the CS-15. I've become quite taken with it and have a few observations to post. Plus I like to ramble. :oops:

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:05 am
by space6oy
Christopher Winkels wrote:Nice one. What is that? Cherry? Maple with a stain?
it's mahogany.
Automatic Gainsay wrote:I have got to call those people. They're even in my neighborhood!
don't ask him to make you something he hasn't already. hate to be public about it, but i did, he was very nice at first but later something happened to the guy and he became very rude and annoying. three months later only sent me one of the two sets i'd ordered.

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:36 am
by Virgule
:)

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:40 am
by iProg
Man, I have to do this for my CS-15!! :D

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:10 pm
by premieklovn
iProg wrote:Man, I have to do this for my CS-15!! :D

ditto. New cheeks and new knobs! Pimpin'

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:27 pm
by BoxPhenom
I think it's great that people have the option to customize their synths but personally I prefer to keep my synths in their original state as much as possible.
I think part of what interests me in vintage synths is the fact that they tell a story about sound design, industrial design and manufacturing from another era. Apart from sounding great of course.
i wouldn't want my mass-produced, low-end market Cs-5 to have "american synth-style" wood cheeks because it would denature.
I'm just stating MY opinion and certainly respect other's point of view. In this case especially since they might be replacing damaged ones and it's just a matter of keeping the original ones to bring it back to stock.

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:19 pm
by Automatic Gainsay
BoxPhenom wrote:I think it's great that people have the option to customize their synths but personally I prefer to keep my synths in their original state as much as possible.
I think part of what interests me in vintage synths is the fact that they tell a story about sound design, industrial design and manufacturing from another era. Apart from sounding great of course.
i wouldn't want my mass-produced, low-end market Cs-5 to have "american synth-style" wood cheeks because it would denature.
I'm just stating MY opinion and certainly respect other's point of view. In this case especially since they might be replacing damaged ones and it's just a matter of keeping the original ones to bring it back to stock.
As a vilified purist, I understand your point.

That being said, I think the Japanese were wrong in their 1970s plastic-and-metal approach. We're just making better decisions. :wink:

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:58 am
by Christopher Winkels
BoxPhenom wrote:I think it's great that people have the option to customize their synths but personally I prefer to keep my synths in their original state as much as possible.
I think part of what interests me in vintage synths is the fact that they tell a story about sound design, industrial design and manufacturing from another era. Apart from sounding great of course.
i wouldn't want my mass-produced, low-end market Cs-5 to have "american synth-style" wood cheeks because it would denature.
I'm just stating MY opinion and certainly respect other's point of view. In this case especially since they might be replacing damaged ones and it's just a matter of keeping the original ones to bring it back to stock.
Opinion noted. It's a valid one, and if the end cheeks were in A+ shape I might be inclined to keep them (or not... depending on how the wind blows). These ones had definitely seem better days though.

Funny you mention industrial design. I've been working on a very long missive about the CS-15. I should probably post it and address the topic.

Re: Yamaha CS-15 new end cheeks....oooh, sexy.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:08 am
by Christopher Winkels
One other thought about wood....

It's not as though the wooden end cheeks were a purely Yank hallmark of the '70s and early '80s. Plenty of vintage American gear didn't have exposed wood sides: several Moogs (Micro, Poly, Sonic Six and Multi to name four), the Prophet VS and 2000, all Emulators, some ARP 2600 variants, Oberheim SEM-based gear, etc, etc.

Conversely the Japanese were not averse to doing wood sides, albeit often (though not exclusively) using particle board with melamine and HPL overlays in lieu of "real" wood: Yamaha''s CS-60, CS-40M, CS-20M, CS-70M, Roland's SH-1000, Korg's Polysix and MonoPoly.... I could go on.

I don't see the presence of wood as characteristic of one nation over another.