snobbish question / best PW

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Re: snobbish question / best PW

Post by hfinn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:02 am

Joey wrote:
hfinn wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:Of course Joey didn't get this one. :wink:

The CS-15 has an astoundingly cool PW and PWM combination. It is one of the few synths ever which allows two oscs to have different PW and PWM settings.
The CS-80 allows this too. It's a great feature
i did get that. it just didnt sound cool.
You don't think the CS-80's PWM sounds good, or that having a dedicated LFO for each PWM on an oscillator sounded good?

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:05 am

hfinn wrote:
Joey wrote:
You don't think the CS-80's PWM sounds good, or that having a dedicated LFO for each PWM on an oscillator sounded good?

the cs15's version of it, i didnt like the cs15 too much

i havent played a cs80 yet
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:13 am

Joey wrote:
hfinn wrote:
Joey wrote:

the cs15's version of it, i didnt like the cs15 too much

i havent played a cs80 yet
It can be a nice effect if used subtly. Have both osc with a slightly different pulse width and slightly different modulation speeds... It can sound quite nice. Only a certain kind of sound will benefit greatly from it. It's nice to have that sort of flexibility.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:29 am

Rangoon wrote:Voyetra 8. Why ? ...because of keyboard scaling of pulse width modulation amount. The ssm2044 filters certainly don't hurt either...
I wish all synths had that feature, so you can have slower LFO or less modulation in lower registers.

I love making PWM leads with my SH-2.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:03 am

hfinn wrote: It can be a nice effect if used subtly. Have both osc with a slightly different pulse width and slightly different modulation speeds... It can sound quite nice. Only a certain kind of sound will benefit greatly from it. It's nice to have that sort of flexibility.
yeah i mean its cool, i just have no use for that sort of sound in my music, nor the cs really
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:06 am

The PWM on the Juno-106 is super-cool when driven by the LFO, not manually. Tasteful!

Prophet '08 ain't too bad either.

But my favorite is the PWM on the Polysix. Such a great string sound with just one VCO!

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:03 am

Z wrote:
Rangoon wrote:Voyetra 8. Why ? ...because of keyboard scaling of pulse width modulation amount. The ssm2044 filters certainly don't hurt either...
I wish all synths had that feature, so you can have slower LFO or less modulation in lower registers.
I know, that's such a great feaure. One doesn't need the "sea-sick" PWM in the lower register. The P'08 can do that (scale both LFO speed and depth as one ascends they keyboard). Makes for some tasty string sounds.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:09 am

Rangoon wrote:Voyetra 8. Why ? ...because of keyboard scaling of pulse width modulation amount.
Definitely a very useful feature. Have used it a lot.

My favourite PWM sounds... Arp AXXE!!! :D

- CM

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:53 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:
Z wrote:
I know, that's such a great feaure. One doesn't need the "sea-sick" PWM in the lower register. The P'08 can do that (scale both LFO speed and depth as one ascends they keyboard). Makes for some tasty string sounds.
I actually did that for my copy of the "Thieves Like Us" sound! :o funny you mention it...

Modulation routings with pwning pwm.

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:16 pm

I love the PWM on the Korg MS10. I actually like it so much that I rarely use the other waves. It's very bass-friendly.

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:08 pm

If I pick from what I have, its the CS-50 & JP-8.

From stuff Id use to have...the Teisco 60f. Kind of old Rolandsounding...
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Stafftunes
Gear: Jupiter 6, JX-3P, Nord Rack 2, Blofeld, TX81z,JV2080, RY30, A4000, SK30 + Misc stuff
Band: Stafftunes

Post by Stafftunes » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:24 pm

Jupiter 6 does some pretty nice PWM sounds, often use it on mine. When the SK30 was one of my only synths I nearly always had the PWM on the go on it's mono synth to fatten things up, I still like that sound.

I noticed you mentioned the Blo at the start....

I've not really messed much with the PWM on my Blofeld yet as I'm too busy delving into it's sheer whackyness and depth of the mod matrix, it's making me feel like the day I first ever got a synth again... :mrgreen: Anyway, I quite like the idea of getting some wavetable movement on the go - perhaps even the PWM ones and layering them over the other osc's doing actual PWM... don't know what it sounds like but...

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:53 pm

What's the OMD 'Enola Gay' solo synth? Little Korg something...

That's some nice sounding PW.
Too futurist to live.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:08 am

premieklovn wrote:I love the PWM on the Korg MS10. I actually like it so much that I rarely use the other waves. It's very bass-friendly.
Korg in 1977: "We don't need to put pulse width modulation on the MS-20, it has two oscillators! Pulse width modulation is only for faking a dual oscillator sound with a single oscillator. No one would ever want that on a dual oscillator synthesizer."

:::shakes fist at Korg backwards through time:::
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:47 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
premieklovn wrote:I love the PWM on the Korg MS10. I actually like it so much that I rarely use the other waves. It's very bass-friendly.
Korg in 1977: "We don't need to put pulse width modulation on the MS-20, it has two oscillators! Pulse width modulation is only for faking a dual oscillator sound with a single oscillator. No one would ever want that on a dual oscillator synthesizer."

:::shakes fist at Korg backwards through time:::
:mrgreen:

Well, Yamaha was doing it right with the CS15. Too bad it doesn't sound as raw and dirty as the MS's. Imagine the Korg MS10, CS15 and MS20 having a really hardcore gangbang -----> Korgamaha CMS-17.

*3 OSC
*3 VCF (HP/LP/BP, all resonant and selfoscillating)
*Semi-modular
*PWM on all 3 OSC with 3 different dedicated PWM-LFOs
* Same pitchbend as on CS15

etc.