Akai MINIAK

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Gianni
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:55 pm

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by Gianni » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:40 pm

Joey wrote:i hope it was an april fools joke

I hope it's not, but I'm not totally convinced it isn't. This looks cute and cool enough for me to get one. If it is cheap enough, I'd buy it just because I feel the need for more black modern keyboards, stop it with the green/yellow/grey/pink case +blue/red/yellow lights!

Hair
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Edison, NJ
Contact:

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by Hair » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:21 pm

Gianni wrote:
Joey wrote:i hope it was an april fools joke

I hope it's not, but I'm not totally convinced it isn't. This looks cute and cool enough for me to get one. If it is cheap enough, I'd buy it just because I feel the need for more black modern keyboards, stop it with the green/yellow/grey/pink case +blue/red/yellow lights!
What about the R3? Those can be had for decent prices if you poke around - when all was said and done I got mine for $350 after rebate, coupon to GC and taxes

R3 seems to have a better interface than the Miniak, but all those wheels sure are tantalizing

User avatar
Gianni
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:55 pm

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by Gianni » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:39 pm

Hair wrote:
Gianni wrote:
Joey wrote:i hope it was an april fools joke

I hope it's not, but I'm not totally convinced it isn't. This looks cute and cool enough for me to get one. If it is cheap enough, I'd buy it just because I feel the need for more black modern keyboards, stop it with the green/yellow/grey/pink case +blue/red/yellow lights!
What about the R3? Those can be had for decent prices if you poke around - when all was said and done I got mine for $350 after rebate, coupon to GC and taxes

R3 seems to have a better interface than the Miniak, but all those wheels sure are tantalizing
I tried it, but at the time, the sound didn't appeal to what I needed. I felt more close to the Ion/Micron sound [sounded better to my ears...]

And in case this is real, Akai already made an entry for it on their site with features, specifications and the usual: http://www.akaipro.com/miniak

User avatar
tallowwaters
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4998
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:11 am
Gear: LC-MS/MS
Location: snake's belly in a wagon rut

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:15 am

meatballfulton wrote:
Akai stuff has a reputation for working :?
But how long has Numark owned Akai? My old Alesis gear if friggin nuke proof, but the SR18 feels much flimsier and even has audio bleed, which doesn't bother me, but I am sure it would disqualify it from a profession rig outright.


Now if only they would reissue those old ModFX boxes...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

shoontz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:33 am

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by shoontz » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:15 am

According to wikipedia Numark acquired Alesis in 2001 and Akai in 2004.

I wish Bret Victor would chime in about this. He designed the Micron and would probably have some interesting insight into this newest Akai incarnation of his work.

User avatar
polardark
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:03 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by polardark » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:56 am

Talk about exploiting a brand. At least it is programmable - even though you only have three knobs and a tiny alphanumeric LCD to squint at. Welcome to the eighties where minimalist pushbutton interfaces are all the rage. (oh no wait.. what year is it again?)

Looking at the demo video from Sonicstate.com and i'm pretty underwhelmed:
Basically, it's your perfect synthesizer for guys who may not be a complete player or ones that are but really want to add a lot of sonic presence with some virtual analog synthesis on whatever you're adding.
My guess is - if you're reading this here - this instrument will not interest you.


Anyone else stricken by the fact that programming this synth is very similar to programming a miniature yamaha toy keyboard from the eighties?
[...] you don't have a large interface so this makes it easy to actually get to some of the parameters you normally want to edit [...]
You'd think the emergence of "boutique" synthesizers would have hinted to the big companies that there is a market for more controls - not less.

I'm tired of companies trying to reinvent the microKorg and leaving out all the stuff that made the microKorg good. The price of the miniak is low, i'll admit but at a 500 euro price point you can certainly do better.

masstronaut
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:26 pm

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by masstronaut » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:32 am

The Micron is/was pretty good, not that much fun to program it's true but they did try with the shortcut things.

By the looks of this video Akai have basically added an extra knob, and an extra wheel.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:20 am

polardark wrote:
[...] you don't have a large interface so this makes it easy to actually get to some of the parameters you normally want to edit [...]
You'd think the emergence of "boutique" synthesizers would have hinted to the big companies that there is a market for more controls - not less.

I'm tired of companies trying to reinvent the microKorg and leaving out all the stuff that made the microKorg good. The price of the miniak is low, i'll admit but at a 500 euro price point you can certainly do better.
Dude, check out how many boutique synths are selling and then compare it to the probably hundreds of thousands of Microkorgs sold. The big market isn't for more controls, it's for low cost synths that teenagers think look cool. If you want lots of controls buy a Radias or a PolyEvolver or something.

User avatar
polardark
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:03 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by polardark » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:52 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Dude, check out how many boutique synths are selling and then compare it to the probably hundreds of thousands of Microkorgs sold. The big market isn't for more controls, it's for low cost synths that teenagers think look cool. If you want lots of controls buy a Radias or a PolyEvolver or something.
That's what Akai/Alesis seems to think anyway...

The microKorg is a special case. It was the first of the popular mini VAs and it also happened to be pretty usable with the front panel edit matrix. It even looked stylish with retro moog style knobs and wood sides. Before the microKorg none of the big companies would have made a synth like this. Akai will get nowhere by simply repackaging their flawed interpretation of another company's innovation.

User avatar
Computer Controlled
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:12 am
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by Computer Controlled » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:56 am

MicroKorg innovative? Hardly. The Micron is a far superior synth. Period. The Korg just happen to hit big with all the whiny girl pant wearing emo hipster crowd.

Anyway, the Miniak isn't anything close to the MK. It's simply just a Micron slightly altered. Korg themselves reinvented the MicroKorg with the MKxl.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

User avatar
tallowwaters
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4998
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:11 am
Gear: LC-MS/MS
Location: snake's belly in a wagon rut

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:50 pm

Does the micron have all the parallel filters and FX that this new one is boasting?

I have to say, the 2 mod wheels are pretty sweet. Hopefully they improved the vocoder (not just on paper either)
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

masstronaut
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:26 pm

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by masstronaut » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:46 pm

The voice architecture, effects, sequencer, arp etc. all seem identical. On the Micron those two wheels are/were sliders instead. Still seems like the vocoder is c**p for vocal stuff by the looks of that video up thread. You can use it internally as an effect for processing two sounds in a multi-setup and I've had some good results with that.
Last edited by masstronaut on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MPS
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:20 am
Real name: Rod
Band: Atomic Shadow
Location: wild wild west

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by MPS » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:46 pm

Should we at least wait and HEAR one before pronouncing judgement?
http://www.atomicshadow.com/

A wall of dusty old junk, synths, and effects. Broadcasting live, from yesterday's world of tomorrow.

masstronaut
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:26 pm

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by masstronaut » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:54 pm

Who's passing judgement? It seems very likely that this is going to be a repackaged Micron with some new presets. The specs are identical. So we have heard it.

Look at the Akai page - http://www.akaipro.com/miniak

Listen to lickle demo on SonicState - http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/04/ ... der-synth/

The Micron is a a pretty good synth anyway (judgement). Aren't most posts on this thread discussing the look and the fact that it's being relaunched as an Akai?

MitchK1989
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:46 am
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by MitchK1989 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Does the micron have all the parallel filters and FX that this new one is boasting?

I have to say, the 2 mod wheels are pretty sweet. Hopefully they improved the vocoder (not just on paper either)
Yes, the micron has two filters that can be used serially, in parallel, or a mix of the two, and also has all of those effects.

The MiniAK is literally just a micron in a new case, which I find to be less attractive looking but probably built better.

Post Reply