Akai MINIAK

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:42 pm

4 comb filters? Never knew the micron had cool s**t on board.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:04 am

shoontz wrote:I don't know what you're talking about Stab Frenzy. The specs are identical to the Micron's.
Right you are, I thought I'd read 16 voice polyphony but I was wrong.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:51 pm

masstronaut wrote: The specs are identical. So we have heard it.
No offense, but I disagree completely..

DisasterArea
Gear: MIDI Patch Bay

Post by DisasterArea » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:38 am

[quote="tallowwaters"]4 comb filters? Never knew the micron had cool s**t on board.[/quote]

It's a capable machine, and although it's often dismissed as a tiny version of the ion, it really isn't. For instance, you can't create a setup in the ion involving 32 different timbres.

Akai missed quite an opportunity with this, though. With a little reworking of technology they have on hand, they would have been able to put the micron engine into a board with interface like the MPK49, (instead of the same interface with MPK "flair") with say the button-slider-knob section switchable for editing sounds or sequences. Sound-wise, provide a few extra effects busses. Seems like it would have been a natural progression, and would be more in the hands on realm of a monomachine. Don't get me wrong, I think the micron is a great tool, but a lot that it has to offer seems to me to just beg for that sort of revamping.

On the other hand, they're probably right: there is no market for such a monstrosity so best to leave it alone and stagnate...
Six-Trak; Micron; Wavestation EX; ASR-10; Emax; XL-7; Radias

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:47 am

nevermind. they couldn't even be bothered t put usb-midi on it.

blitzdj86
Gear: Modified DR-110, ES-1 Mk2, KP3, Various Pedals, MG82CX mixer.

Post by blitzdj86 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:44 am

progress has officially ended,

thanks for all your hard work people, humanity has reached the peak of technology!
It turns out the ultimate synth is a repackaged virtual analogue with only a few knobs and buttons.

How wrong you all were! :lol:
... at least according to nukailesis

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:45 pm

IMHO:

I would trade the keyboard for more knobs....

The price does not sound good to me, seems that they are trying to sell "combos": with MIC INCLUDED!!!!!

The COOLEST feature of this synth is the NPRN.

Instead the 127 of most of the synths, the NPRN for the miniak is around 2000!!!!!!! The aliasing effect when turning a knob is almost invisible.

So, that's my biggest complaint: this thing is ill when tweaking sounds, and they included too few controllers to get the best of it, and getting a controller to tweak it at 2000 NPRN via MIDI will be expensive
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:09 am

Hope the build quality is more Akai than Numark, since the latter's quality control is astonishingly bad in my experience. A dude I know is on to his 3rd set of Numark decks and the crossfade pot is already scratchier than most of the controls on my 30 year old mixer! Doesn't help that one CD player won't play CD-Rs whilst the other has no problems.

Oh and don't get me started on my M1 520s - had to return those f**k twice.

Other than that I don't care for it either way. Certainly is easier on the eyes this time round, although I'd take an Ion (or microKORG) over either.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri May 01, 2009 12:04 am

iProg wrote:
Do you still disagree completely, on what grounds? Still looks the same to me. But whatever, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just what it seems to be. And obviously people have heard it.
balma wrote:So, that's my biggest complaint: this thing is ill when tweaking sounds, and they included too few controllers to get the best of it, and getting a controller to tweak it at 2000 NPRN via MIDI will be expensive
Yeah there aren't many controllers that will handle that, especially the bipolar parameters, are there? Maybe an ION as a control surface ;)

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon May 04, 2009 8:15 pm

EUPHONIX controllers. Ethernet data transmission: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:28 pm

balma wrote:The COOLEST feature of this synth is the NPRN.

Instead the 127 of most of the synths, the NPRN for the miniak is around 2000!!!!!!! The aliasing effect when turning a knob is almost invisible.

So, that's my biggest complaint: this thing is ill when tweaking sounds, and they included too few controllers to get the best of it, and getting a controller to tweak it at 2000 NPRN via MIDI will be expensive
Well, most sequencers won't be able to record that data resolution, because they are designed for the midi spec of 0-127.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue May 05, 2009 1:05 am

iProg wrote:
Have a look at the back of the Miniak, the ports/jacks and power switch are the same as the Micron. These components are on the same board as the DSPs, DACs and OS, so I think it would be fairly safe to say Akai are using the same board layout and components as Alesis. I imagine they'll alter the OS so it says Miniak on startup and put in different presets but apart from that it's a Micron.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:38 am

Now that's interesting...

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue May 05, 2009 7:16 am

Not a great surprise though, no point doing a new PCB layout for pretty much the same thing. You've seen the SR-18 and XR-20 haven't you?

For the vast majority of users (ie not us nerds) they won't notice the similarities and the difference in appearance, UI and presets will be enough to set them apart. When I say UI I mean the mod wheels instead of mod sliders. ;)

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Tue May 05, 2009 8:40 am

Ashe37 wrote:
balma wrote:The COOLEST feature of this synth is the NPRN.

Well, most sequencers won't be able to record that data resolution, because they are designed for the midi spec of 0-127.
It is MIDI, there's no problem recording it. Although it's true a lot of tweaks could generate quite a bit of MIDI data.

It's not a bandwidth measurement though, it's the amount of gradations in the controller positions.