Akai MINIAK

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Diametro

Re: Akai MINIAK

Post by Diametro » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:38 pm

I love the mini-sequencer on Micron/Miniak ... Quite unique imo ...
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:37 am

http://www.alesis.com/micronse

theres an update?
looks like the specs match the miniak perfectly... i haven't heard of this before... this is odd
w00t

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:25 am

JayEm wrote:http://www.alesis.com/micronse

theres an update?
looks like the specs match the miniak perfectly... i haven't heard of this before... this is odd
The only difference is the ends are blue. The Micron and the Miniak were the same to begin with.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:42 am

theres an update?
Odd indeed ... the right hand doesn't know what the left hand do ?

Oddness aside I went to my local GC ( god help me ) and played around with the Miniak .
It dose feel as it has a better build quality as far as the keyboard goes anyway .

still very strange .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:11 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:

theres an update?
The only difference is the ends are blue. The Micron and the Miniak were the same to begin with.
I just meant that I haven't heard of the SE before, so I think its new... and its odd they'd release another micron, paint it a different color, when their new parent company is releasing that exact product in a different shell...

mmm
w00t

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:50 pm

JayEm wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:

theres an update?
I just meant that I haven't heard of the SE before, so I think its new... and its odd they'd release another micron, paint it a different color, when their new parent company is releasing that exact product in a different shell...

mmm
I just got the email today, but have seen it on novamusik for at least 2 months by now... Nothing has really changed aside from the color. If they had done this with the Ion... now that would have looked great!

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:28 am

The release of the MicronSE brings to mind a variety of questions. The first being that what does Alesis/Akai/Numark have to gain by releasing two synthesizers with the same specs under different names? And more importantly, what does this say about the relationship between Alesis and Akai? Do they really intend to release two products that will compete with each other? Do they believe that they are going to obtain more profit from the market by doing so?

I don't get it... :|

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:43 am

Mr Knesh wrote:The release of the MicronSE brings to mind a variety of questions. The first being that what does Alesis/Akai/Numark have to gain by releasing two synthesizers with the same specs under different names? And more importantly, what does this say about the relationship between Alesis and Akai? Do they really intend to release two products that will compete with each other? Do they believe that they are going to obtain more profit from the market by doing so?

Numark thinks that by re-releasing the Micron as an Akai product they might get more of a cut into the DJ and hip hop market.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:30 am

JayEm wrote:I just meant that I haven't heard of the SE before, so I think its new... and its odd they'd release another micron, paint it a different color, when their new parent company is releasing that exact product in a different shell...
No that's basic marketing. They haven't released a new Micron at all, they've just poured blue plastic into the molds instead of red for one production run, called it a special edition and have gotten another few months of sales out of a product that was beginning to fade out, because people who were going to get a Microkorg XL because it's the newest thing now see this and might to decide to go with it instead. Best thing for Alesis is it didn't take any R&D dollars at all. They didn't even change the colour of the LEDs in the rest of the synth to match.
Mr Knesh wrote:The release of the MicronSE brings to mind a variety of questions. The first being that what does Alesis/Akai/Numark have to gain by releasing two synthesizers with the same specs under different names? And more importantly, what does this say about the relationship between Alesis and Akai? Do they really intend to release two products that will compete with each other? Do they believe that they are going to obtain more profit from the market by doing so?

This is really common in the car world, you have two brands which are aimed at different markets (Alesis is aimed at the home recording indie hipster white kids, Akai at the 'Maekz beatz' black kids and wannabe black kids, to offensively over-simplify ;) ) and release the same basic product with different trim levels and badging. That way you can double your production run size, increase economies of scale, share R&D etc. Over here the Toyota Lexen was a rebadged Holden Commodore, a Holden Nova was a Toyota Corolla, there were heaps of others. When I was in the states I noticed this a fair bit With the Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyager and some Chevys, Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles all being pretty much the same. Each company has a different demographic so they aren't really competing with one another, or if they are the manufacturer doesn't mind cause they get money either way.

Look at it this way, if someone goes into a shop and is picking between a Micron, Microkorg and Miniak, Numark has a 2/3 chance of getting the kid's money, as opposed to if there was just the Micron and Microkorg. I know people don't just flip a coin to decide what they buy, but you see what I'm getting at?

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:49 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Akai at the 'Maekz beatz' black kids and wannabe black kids, to offensively over-simplify ;) ) and release the same basic product with different trim levels and badging.
Now see, i wasn't gonna say it that way...

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:30 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: No that's basic marketing. They haven't released a new Micron at all, they've just poured blue plastic into the molds instead of red for one production run, called it a special edition
Like Moog has been doing for a few years now...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:23 am

Spent some time with one in the local GC. There was no cacophony of gospel B3 or emo kids doing their best imitation of Arnie from Gilbert Grape on a microkorg, so I could hear it unadulterated. I really like this synth. If I was on a budget and wanted a good VA, this is the one I'd go for. I didn't have a chance to really get in there and edit things, but I assume it's the same process pretty much as the Micron. The Miniak feels more like a real instrument than the plasticky Micron. It's a blast throwing out Bernie Worrell type basslines with the wheels.

ERIC31
Gear: .

Post by ERIC31 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:47 am

After watching this video review/demo, I really want this synth. I don't speak or understand a word of German but the synth speaks for itself! I think it sounds great and has very usable sounds even in the presets for what I like to do which is early 80's styled synthpop 6:49 to 6:58 on the video.(old DM, Yazoo and newer groups doing it old style like Elegant Machinery) This thing would be perfect for that!

http://www.oldmanarmy.com
http://www.electrogarden.com
Synth Wish List: Alesis Micron, Novation Xiosynth 49

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:13 am

That is kinda the strength of the Micron/Ion/MiniAK...