Just scored a DX-11

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Just scored a DX-11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:41 pm

For £40! It's in great condition apart from one sticky key (the lowest C#) and sounds fantastic. This is my first FM Synth and im enjoying it already. Of course, it's gona take me a while to grasp FM Programming but iv already made a few ineresting Bass sounds. I reallylike the sound of it, the Bass sounds in particular are awsome, this little thing has a supprisingly big bottom end.

Im loving this little DX.
What are everyone's thoughts on this Synth?
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Just scored a DX-11

Post by Yoozer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:03 pm

There's a crapton of 4-op DX sounds for the DX21/100/TX81z and these should work on the 11. Try William H.'s excellent tutorial: http://insidesynthesis.blogspot.com/200 ... art-1.html

Also, the DX11 can layer; FM on its own can sound great with a dash of reverb, but it's an eye-opener to layer 2 FM synths (simulated unison) and that's something most people won't do.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Post by polar69 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:25 pm

Wow Analogue Crazy, you'll have to change your name now !! :lol:

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:30 pm

polar69 wrote:Wow Analogue Crazy, you'll have to change your name now !! :lol:
Lol that was exatcly what I thought after I'd read who started the thread. Personally I'm not much for DX-9/11/100 but for £40 it's probably a very good lesson in FM synthesis.

I'm really thinking about giving the DX-7 another chance. This time I'm going for a DX7IID + Yamaha SPX-90 multieffect rack.

mung
Gear: Nord Electro, Yamaha DX 7, Alesis Ion, Crumar Orchestrator, Roland Juno-G, Korg R3, Casiotone 7000, Edirol PCR-M80, Boss RE20, Boss RT20, Boss GT-8

Post by mung » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:34 pm

I've had a DX7 for about two months now and I haven't even touched it yet.

Maybe when I get moved I'll have the time...

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:40 pm

I just wish there were a better, intuitive programming interface for the DX synths. I think the best programming option for FM is software but when I had the DX7 it was notably grittier sounding than FM8.
Last edited by otto on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:00 pm

I've got the rack version of this, the TX81Z. 4-op they may be, but they have 8 waveforms to choose from as operators, rather than just sine waves. For this reason I wouldn't immediately lump it in with the other 4-op FM Yamahas.

As for programming, I wonder if it's easier on the 11. I never found FM very intuitive, and ended up tweaking presets or grabbing sounds from books (there were a couple - Amsco published a tome of TX sounds in the 80s, and my local library has a couple of copies of "acoustic sounds for synthesists" or similar, which covers FM, PD and analogue). Most of the sounds I created and liked were happy accidents.

Having said that, they're decent synths and worth the peanuts they currently fetch. Should complement your CZ nicely.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:34 pm

Congrats on the DX-11! I used a TX-81z for a long time. They sound great.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:13 pm

otto wrote:I just wish there were a better, intuitive programming interface for the DX synths.
Plus the software editor

Ian S

Post by Ian S » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:39 pm

Good find AC, & I thought my first one was a bargain at £60!

To add to what others have said, the 11 is also multi-timbral, and has a bunch of alternative tunings available, like Just Intonation, & even quarter & eighth tones. If yours didn't come with a manual (neither of mine did) you can download one from the Yamaha site (you can get manuals for every synth they've ever produced).
Casio PX-320, Odyssey Mk.1, Multiman-S, Andromeda A6, DW-8000, JD-800, Yamaha DX11, AN1x, & SK30, E&MM/Maplin Spectrum, Akai S3000XL, E-Mu Proformance 1, Esi-32, & Classic Keys, Alesis D4, Rickenbacker 4001.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:11 am

supermel74 wrote:
otto wrote:I just wish there were a better, intuitive programming interface for the DX synths.
Plus the software editor
Why not just go the FM8 route if you're going to be stuck in the realm of software anyway?
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:49 pm

A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:24 am

nathanscribe wrote:As for programming, I wonder if it's easier on the 11.
I sold my DX11 for a TX81Z to free up some space. The DX is a lot easier to program, all those patch buttons take you direct to a param page, whereas on the TX it's back and forth with the menu diving, really slows things down. Data slider on the DX too, massively important. I think you could build up to quite a speed on the TX but it'll never be as fast as the DX.

I seem to remember my bass sounds in the DX sounded better than the TX too, bit more noise but beefier. Could be imagining it but hard to say without having them side by side again. Almost makes me want to buy another DX11. Another thing I loved about the DX is that it's compact yet extremely solid.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:28 am

iProg wrote: This time I'm going for a DX7IID + Yamaha SPX-90 multieffect rack.
Good choice... the DX7 definitely benifits from those on-tap effects to make it a 'fair fight' with all the synths that followed (it easily holds it own and more).

Layering DX sounds is simple on the IID of course (built in!) and the pan/solo/mono modes + portamento gives great playability.

As for the werid and wonderful textures it can create - it stands alone (ok, along with other 6+ op synths that followed i.e sy77 ;) ) - I created a sound the other day (I admit accidentaly) that sounded 85% like the start of Rio (that is the recorded piano strings thing that Nick did), it's obv not exact but it brings it to mind.. kinda crescendos up with almost the same tone... and that's just messing around with FM (and put through some reverb/delay).

congrats on the DX11 btw - yeah you're gonna have to look at a name change soon :0

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:00 am

Pro5 wrote:
iProg wrote: This time I'm going for a DX7IID + Yamaha SPX-90 multieffect rack.
Good choice... the DX7 definitely benifits from those on-tap effects to make it a 'fair fight' with all the synths that followed (it easily holds it own and more).

Layering DX sounds is simple on the IID of course (built in!) and the pan/solo/mono modes + portamento gives great playability.

As for the werid and wonderful textures it can create - it stands alone (ok, along with other 6+ op synths that followed i.e sy77 ;) ) - I created a sound the other day (I admit accidentaly) that sounded 85% like the start of Rio (that is the recorded piano strings thing that Nick did), it's obv not exact but it brings it to mind.. kinda crescendos up with almost the same tone... and that's just messing around with FM (and put through some reverb/delay).
Yeah, I'm going to do this when I've got some more dough and space in the studio...right now I'm very fond of the software FM synths that are included in Logic 8. Nice pianos and basses, I've already used them both in my current recording.

Being such a big Scritti Politti fan, I have to give FM another try!

The story about the intro to the song "Rio" is great. Check it out on the classic albums DVD.

Colin Thurston recorded Nick when he was dropping metal rods on the strings of an open grand piano and then reversed the tape. The result is the sweep you hear before the arpeggiator kicks in...(JP-4 or JP-8, not sure)