Strangest thing you ever found inside a synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Re: Strangest thing you ever found inside a synth

Post by wiss » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:11 pm

a joint, 10 dollar bill, many screws, loose change, headphone jack, buisness card for a synth repair man.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

elphcoil

Post by elphcoil » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:24 pm

found a cigarette lighter in a polysix. the rest of this thread has me thinking the polysix is quite the pack rat.
MV-8000, juno-106, vp-330, mks-7, mks-30, mc-202, pro-one, cs-5, dx-7, 770, k2000rs, pulse+, k-station rack, evolver, chroma polaris, filterbank2, drumfire, revolution, mobius, 565T, srv-3030d, rnc-1773, 1591a, vc1-q, 266xl, kaosspad2, and alienator.

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Post by guitarsandsynths » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:13 pm

killedaway wrote:
Mr Knesh wrote:
Speaking of factory boxes. I was opening a behringer keyboard at amp box at guitar center one day. I cut the tape, flipped the box over to set the amp on the counter and a home-made razor blade shiv fell out on to the counter top. It was a progressive razor blade that had some foam tape wrapped around the handle. I thought that either Behringer is really cutting back on boxing supplies, or there is some hairy s**t going down in the behringer packing plants! :lol:
when i used to work at Toys R Us, i was opening a box of action figures, which had "inner packs" (more, smaller boxes) inside. in between the bigger, outer box and the inner packs was a box cutter and a Chinese factory worker's photo ID card. i kept it for fun, but i have no idea where it is. i forgot all about that until i read your post just now!

poor guy, hope he didn't get in trouble for losing his ID.
He won't need his id. He was sent in a different box! :lol:
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:13 pm

xpander wrote:
matia wrote:When I opened it up there was a little baggie of cocaine taped between two styrofoam peanuts ...
and thus began the habit!

incidentally, i'm also in sf right now atop 101 california.
well since the polysix was my first analog synth i guess thus began my habit for vintage synths :)

-matia

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:49 pm

i scored a free l100 series hammond from a friend. she tells me "it came from some crazy cult out in the country. they thought doomsday was coming a few years back, so they stored giant bins of beans...cuz, beans are the only food that will survive the apocalypse......anyway, no doomsday happened, so the cult kinda failed...here is the organ".
i get it loaded in the back of a friends volvo wagon to lug home for recapping, and when we haul it out...beans everywhere! it looks like they were storing them in the hammond too!
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Post by GameChanger » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:20 am

Old topic I know, but I bought a DW8000 off ebay a few weeks ago for $120, and it finally came it. Along w/ few keys being dead it was in rough shape, foam somehow got in side the keyboard, so I opened it up, and Bamm. About 8 Big A$$ roaches came out. I live in a one bedroom apt, so this was not fun. Put the synth in the hallway of my floor now, haha. Real gross though. I think I killed most of um, but Im not sure. Watch out yall w/ what you buy.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:40 am

EWW
bonne chance

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:25 am

GameChanger wrote:Old topic I know, but I bought a DW8000 off ebay a few weeks ago for $120, and it finally came it. Along w/ few keys being dead it was in rough shape, foam somehow got in side the keyboard, so I opened it up, and Bamm. About 8 Big A$$ roaches came out. I live in a one bedroom apt, so this was not fun. Put the synth in the hallway of my floor now, haha. Real gross though. I think I killed most of um, but Im not sure. Watch out yall w/ what you buy.
Am I the only one who thought you meant the kind of roaches that are already dead ? :mrgreen:

GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Post by GameChanger » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:11 pm

moremagic wrote:
GameChanger wrote:Old topic I know, but I bought a DW8000 off ebay a few weeks ago for $120, and it finally came it. Along w/ few keys being dead it was in rough shape, foam somehow got in side the keyboard, so I opened it up, and Bamm. About 8 Big A$$ roaches came out. I live in a one bedroom apt, so this was not fun. Put the synth in the hallway of my floor now, haha. Real gross though. I think I killed most of um, but Im not sure. Watch out yall w/ what you buy.
Am I the only one who thought you meant the kind of roaches that are already dead ? :mrgreen:
haha I wish that would have been the case

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

I once found this petite blacked hair girl who spoke Japanese with enormous blue eyes and big tits all curled up inside a DX1.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:19 pm

A flyswatter's metal handle was under the lower manual of my Hammond.

justin_havu
Gear: Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, PSS-270 / Korg Trinity ProX, 01/W ProX, Karma / Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD / Roland RD-1000 / Behringer Deepmind-12

Post by justin_havu » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:40 pm

I found a pencil inside my AX60 when cleaning the key contacts.
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:38 am

240v shooting straight up my arm while modding my Polysix, not totally unexpected but quite a shock.

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Well, it is not really strange, but with the help of a friend, the MG-1 was opened up. It was remarkably clean inside (which to me indicated a long period of storage), but there was the black foam. It was as bad as advertised. Luckily, it had not decayed to the point where it was gumming up the switches and sliders. It was kinda just falling into large chunks, and lots of the stuff was stuck to the metal underside of the panel. The best way i can describe it is if someone at Moog took the PCB and pushed into the top of a greasy, thick, chocolate cake. We did some scraping, re-assembled, and then ran some diagnostics on it. Works like a charm, and I feel a lot better knowing that the mg1 is not in any immediate peril. :D
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Europanaut

Post by Europanaut » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:28 am

I know that I'm resurrecting an ancient thread, but.....yep, this is gum in my MemoryMoog.