Strangest thing you ever found inside a synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Strangest thing you ever found inside a synth

Post by Bitexion » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 am

Check if there's any taste left in it.

sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Post by sentientprogram » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:50 am

"Strangest thing you ever found inside a synth"

My shaft. I mean, the first time I was replacing sliders on an Oddy and dripped my silver solder on a fresh wicked hole I thought to myself "it's strange to have my primitive technique at the helm of this hot rod." I was in college.

Europanaut

Post by Europanaut » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:09 pm

Bitexion wrote:Check if there's any taste left in it.

MintyMoog.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:14 pm

GameChanger wrote:Old topic I know, but I bought a DW8000 off ebay a few weeks ago for $120, and it finally came it. Along w/ few keys being dead it was in rough shape, foam somehow got in side the keyboard, so I opened it up, and Bamm. About 8 Big A$$ roaches came out. I live in a one bedroom apt, so this was not fun. Put the synth in the hallway of my floor now, haha. Real gross though. I think I killed most of um, but Im not sure. Watch out yall w/ what you buy.
The best way of getting rid of these beasts is pouring baking soda and sugar onto a saucer -- cockroaches love sugar but the baking soda will give them a serious flatulence. Unfortunately (for them), cockroaches can´t fart.

Will give you a smelly place for a while and nightly popcorn sounds but it helps (never tried it myself, though).

Back on topic: Strangest thing I found inside a Yamaha YC-45D organ was an admission ticket to a 1977 Electone organ competition somewhere in Germany.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:07 am

Earlier this year I bought a Korg DW6000 from ebay - it was in terrible condition (the seller probably found it on a tip). This ball of fluff was inside it:

There was also an earing, and two US 1cent coins, plus an empty bag of Hershey's chocolate.

I ended up winning my dispute through ebay and got my money back (minus the return postage of $120). Here's a picture of how badly damaged it was:

More info and more pics on my blog:

http://www.ranzs.com/?p=30

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:17 pm

ranzee wrote:Earlier this year I bought a Korg DW6000 from ebay - it was in terrible condition (the seller probably found it on a tip).
Never, ever buy something with only one picture of the unit -- especially a highly cropped picture that shows only a small section of the unit. That's a recipe for disaster, as your blog post aptly points out. :D

sammy123
Gear: Sk50D, MS2kr, DarkStar, Shruthi (3), Anushri, Meeblip, Ambika, 12U Eurorack, PreenFM, Poly61, DSS-1, DW-8k, Kawai K-3, ESQ-1, Maybe a Polaris soon...

Post by sammy123 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:11 am

You guys are really making me NOT want to open my DW8000. Some guy was storing it in his garage for at least a few years. Nothing has come crawling out yet...

In my SK50D I found some dead spiders and lots of webs. I think there were some leaves in there as well.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:37 pm

My DW-8000 was as clean as the Queen's arsehole :smug:

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:46 pm

Aaron2 wrote:
ranzee wrote:Earlier this year I bought a Korg DW6000 from ebay - it was in terrible condition (the seller probably found it on a tip).
Never, ever buy something with only one picture of the unit -- especially a highly cropped picture that shows only a small section of the unit. That's a recipe for disaster, as your blog post aptly points out. :D
I was stupid - lesson learnt, lucky for me it didn't cost me too much.

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:27 pm

Bought an SY99. Tried to check out the drive, but the disk didn't want to go in.

Flashlight and a pair of tweezers later, out pops a 10-year old MasterCard.

The PO laughed and said he wondered what had happened to it, and that his kid must have stuffed it in there.

Obviously he didn't use the drive very often...

skunk3
Gear: ESX, MPC 2500, EPS16+, TX16w, TX81z, Micro Q, Microbrute, Bass Station 2, MS-20 Mini, Nord Lead 2, Machinedrum, D-50, QS7.1, loads of effects...
Band: Purplewave

Post by skunk3 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:35 pm

I've found lots of weed crumbles... plenty of dust, crumbs, hair, etc. Normal stuff. The "weirdest" thing that I've ever found was a penny from the Bahamas. It had a starfish on it, I think? :)