Synth Basslines on Madonnas Into the Groove?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
chinchee

Synth Basslines on Madonnas Into the Groove?

Post by chinchee » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:54 pm

Hello,

What equipment was used to create the crazy :shock: basslines on the Madonna songs "Into the Groove" and "Who's that Girl" I mean these are truly intricate and amazing feats of synthbass. Surely it is some type of sequencing. How did they sequence bass like that and sync it to a drum machine?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Synth Basslines on Madonnas Into the Groove?

Post by Z » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:11 pm

If I had to bet money on it, I would say a MiniMoog was used. There are many ways to sequence a bass line either with hardware or software.

If you think those bass lines are intense, you should check out David Frank's bass lines with his group The System and on Phil Collin's "Sussudio."

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:53 am

Well this sounds particularly close and would seem to confirm what Z has stated:

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:00 am

If I recall it was most likely the MKS 80 super jupiter. There are a couple of web sites/articles that confirm this if you dig about the net. I have a Jupiter 8 and can tell you that some of the sounds are pretty close but don't have that digitalish harshness that the MKS 80 has.

-matia

jp8

Post by jp8 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:50 pm

I'd have to agree with matia. The MKS-80 is most likely the synth used for that bassline. Syncing it to a drum machine would have been no problem, as MIDI was available in 1984, although it would have had to be run through an external sequencer in order to get the consistently sharp hits you hear in the bassline.

Also, I believe there is a secondary bassline in the song which fills in voids left by the primary, thus making the overall bassline sound especially punchy and quick. This was a pretty common trick in the 80's, and was most effectively used by bands like Dead Or Alive and Front 242. I've used the technique myself to turn a standard arpeggio into a more complicated and fuller-sounding track.
www.multimodemusic.com
"If the blast don't get you, then the fallout will".

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:38 pm

oh those Linn congas, AWESOME :)
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

mavertron

Post by mavertron » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:01 am

Into the groove has to be a minimoog.
I shouldnt be here. I should be writing music.

ERIC31
Gear: .

Post by ERIC31 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:49 am

I've tried to play it and it's fun but of course I dont' have it quite down properly to say the least! :lol:

I've got the Virgin Tour live video and her bassist/keyboardist Bill Lanphier plays it live. Not sure what synth he's playing though. It looks like a Korg but I can't really see what model.
http://www.oldmanarmy.com
http://www.electrogarden.com
Synth Wish List: Alesis Micron, Novation Xiosynth 49

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:08 am

jp8 wrote:I'd have to agree with matia. The MKS-80 is most likely the synth used for that bassline. Syncing it to a drum machine would have been no problem, as MIDI was available in 1984, although it would have had to be run through an external sequencer in order to get the consistently sharp hits you hear in the bassline.

Also, I believe there is a secondary bassline in the song which fills in voids left by the primary, thus making the overall bassline sound especially punchy and quick. This was a pretty common trick in the 80's, and was most effectively used by bands like Dead Or Alive and Front 242. I've used the technique myself to turn a standard arpeggio into a more complicated and fuller-sounding track.

I think there maybe something in jp8's theory. Yes - I agree there is a good chance this is Minimoog BUT I also think there is a very good chance this is Jupiter or MKS-80 Super Jupiter - the sound is very similar to the stock preset I-76 on the MKS-80. That said - that preset could have been a Minimoog emulation! :D

I also agree with jp8 that there are either two bass sounds used in this track or that the EQ is altered between phrases. If you listen carefully one seems to be more prominent than the other.

It's been quite a while since Iistened to some early Madonna tracks - I'd forgotten just how well crafted they were - beautifully punchy and very tight - superb! I've always liked the track Who's That Girl - IMHO Madonna's best early tracks always had a touch of latin about them - that said - Ray of Light was absolutely superb - in part - as we all know - thanks to William Orbit...

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:15 am

hageir wrote:oh those Linn congas, AWESOME :)

Absolutely - I'd love an old Linn drum. Like so much decent vintage gear - the native sound always sounds better than a sample of it! - hence me finding the space for my EII! :D

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:23 pm

It was a Moog Source for bass on the tours
htttp://www.myspace.com/jazzdoctor73
htttp://www.jd73.co.uk

LP/Voyager/Source/Moogerfoogers/NordStage/Logan SM2/Solina/Memorymoogplus/MicroKorg/B3+122RV/ClavD6/Rhodes Suitcase73x2/EmuE4K/YamahaEx5/Dx100

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:43 am

Found the instrumental track of it, so it's easier to hear it. Sounds FM in the trebly ranges. There's obviously another bass in the low end holding it together.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:07 am

Phil Collins' "Sussudio" as mentioned earlier sounds like the SH-101 rubber style to me, correct me if I'm wrong.

In the video, the chords are played on a Prophet-5...

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:43 pm

Sussudio does sound sh101 like, but it's not because of the portamento. Sounds like the res is cranked a s**t-ton so you can still hear the original pitch. I sat here and tried to recreate it. Something else is tracking with it.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:46 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Sussudio does sound sh101 like, but it's not because of the portamento. Sounds like the res is cranked a s**t-ton so you can still hear the original pitch. I sat here and tried to recreate it. Something else is tracking with it.
It's obviously triggered by a drum machine (bass drum?) or by a sequencer synth layering the bass line...

Does anyone know?