Synth Basslines on Madonnas Into the Groove?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Synth Basslines on Madonnas Into the Groove?

Post by Z » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:55 pm

David Frank used Oberheim and Moog synths back then. I'd put money on an Oberheim synth for "Sussudio". Though, it could be 2 synths. He was known to do that a lot.

john909kid
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by john909kid » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:57 pm

From Dave Frank himself...
"The sussudio bass sound was 2 tracks of minimoog sequenced on a oberheim dsx sequencer. Not midi.. .control voltage/gate. First we recorded a sound with lots of bottom without any resonance on the filter.the other track was lots of resonance+ super fast decay on the filter envelope. I arranged the wholesong,except the horns and guitar in a little room in townhouse studio while Phil was working on other songs for the album. The horn line of course was derived from the bass line. David Frank"

I found that post on this forum
Dave Frank Sussudio bass

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:33 am

john909kid wrote:From Dave Frank himself...
"The sussudio bass sound was 2 tracks of minimoog sequenced on a oberheim dsx sequencer. Not midi.. .control voltage/gate. First we recorded a sound with lots of bottom without any resonance on the filter.the other track was lots of resonance+ super fast decay on the filter envelope. I arranged the wholesong,except the horns and guitar in a little room in townhouse studio while Phil was working on other songs for the album. The horn line of course was derived from the bass line. David Frank"

I found that post on this forum
Dave Frank Sussudio bass
Thanks! :)

Harlem Nights

Post by Harlem Nights » Fri May 01, 2009 9:13 pm

hageir wrote:oh those Linn congas, AWESOME :)
I don't think these are Linn congas in the verses, I would bet on the TR-727 really... The kick and snare / clap sound most like Oberheim DMX to me