Anyone regret getting Voyager Old School?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: PEK, Voyager, JP-8080, Sirius, Radias, Lead 2, X-Station25, KS-Rack, Z1, MPC4000

Anyone regret getting Voyager Old School?

Post by synthmax » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:32 am

From what I read it's an instrument with zero compromises and is bound to stay a classic because of its pureness. For it's 2400 (new) price tag it honestly sounds like a pretty darn good deal. Anyone here have an Old School? Any regrets?

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Re: Anyone regret getting Voyager Old School?

Post by Joey » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:51 am

anyone who does, feel free to ship it to me, i will gladly take your regrets off your hands
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:02 am

synthmax wrote:From what I read it's an instrument with zero compromises and is bound to stay a classic because of its pureness. For it's 2400 (new) price tag it honestly sounds like a pretty darn good deal. Anyone here have an Old School? Any regrets?
it would seem like it would be a classic on paper and by its slick interface but it does not capture the model d sound at all- and it's the sound that made the model d an enduring classic. fwiw, the OS sounds just like the regular voyager.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:35 am

xpander wrote: fwiw, the OS sounds just like the regular voyager.
You say that like it's a bad thing. :wink:

I'm with Joey on this one. If anyone is in possession of one that they find disappointing I will be glad to remove that particular burden from their hands.

hogberto

Post by hogberto » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:52 pm

i've had one for about 6 months now.

i've never owned or played a Model D and i really couldn't give a flying f**k whether the OS sounds like one.

what i'm interested in is whether the OS sounds good.

and yes. yes it does. :)

and it's also an inspiring *instrument* to play. nice keyboard, nice knobs, nice chassis.

and total absence of preset temptation. :mrgreen:
Analogue Systems RS8500 | Andromeda A6 | Moog Voyager Old School | Korg Radias KB | MEK | DSI Tetr4 | Tom Oberheim SEM | Waldorf Blofeld module | Virus C | A Sol Leipzig-S | XV-5080 | V-Synth XT | Mopho KB

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:25 pm

xpander wrote:fwiw, the OS sounds just like the regular voyager.
The OS is going to be better for live performance for obvious reasons, but also for reasons that eventually present themselves. For instance, on my Voyager RME, if I tweak the cutoff while playing notes higher than C4, I can hear zipper noise. OS won't have this problem. The digitally controlled Voyagers also require you to turn the VCO fine-tune knobs quickly away and slowly back, for your fine adjustments.

Hopefully this won't turn into another "The Voyager will never sound like the Model D or the Prodigy" bullshit. They are still quality built, sound good and are quite versatile. All I know is I shake my whole goddam house when I play it.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:52 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:
xpander wrote: fwiw, the OS sounds just like the regular voyager.
You say that like it's a bad thing. :wink:
now if i said it sounds no better than a regular voyager, then that would be saying it as a bad thing!

i guess it boils down to how you define classic. i don't think any modern analog synth is half as classic as a microkorg, nord lead or virus, however, in certain respects any analog synthesizer bearing the moog name will be classic, especially one that looks like this:

Solderman wrote:The OS is going to be better for live performance for obvious reasons
that's the first time i've ever heard someone say that.

synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: PEK, Voyager, JP-8080, Sirius, Radias, Lead 2, X-Station25, KS-Rack, Z1, MPC4000

Post by synthmax » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:08 pm

Just to clarify, I meant regretting getting an Old School vs the regular Voyager. XY pad seems neat, but not all that necessary. MIDI can be retroffited with an external box if so necessary. Patch recall would be nice, but Moog sells templates for the common sounds, so it's not like reinventing the wheel. However, for studio use, no zippering what-so-ever, pure liquid analog-ness seems just sounds so yummy, even at the expense of speed.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by xpander » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:27 pm

well, it's easy enough to dial up a sound although for live use i'd hate to have to do this more than once.

if you like the sound of the voyager, you will definitely dig the old school. my advice would be to snatch one up used (i probably bought the first used one to hit the market- single digit serial number) noisebug has a beautiful one for $2k and i saw one recently on ebay with the CV expander thrown it (mine had the same, too).

here's noisebug's OS for sale:
Last edited by xpander on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:32 pm

Lets not forget the tiny difference 2400 for a Os vs over 3000 for a Voyager just to have patch storage :(

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:00 pm

and the touch pad, and a screen, and midi, and (depending on your opinion of the electric blue and select series) a better look
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

MPrint
Gear: Prophet 08, Moog LP Stage 2, Vestax Controller-one, Microkorg, Akai xr-20, Korg Electribe ESX-1, Macbook, Brain and fingers.
Band: Venkman/Melophonic

Post by MPrint » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:12 pm

Not having patch storage is a turn-off, but I guess that's what makes it an "old school." I don't think I would pay that much for one that didn't unless it was a real model D. I like changing most of the presets to my liking so I can run through them on the fly without tweaking knobs for 20 sec. first while playing. I mean, who uses factory presets anyway?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:06 pm

Alphacode wrote:Lets not forget the tiny difference 2400 for a Os vs over 3000 for a Voyager just to have patch storage :(
You can get a used Voyager with patch storage for $2000.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:10 pm

I regret not buying one yet.....but all gear purchases are on hold until the LinnDrum II
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by synthmax » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:13 pm

There are few OS's for sale preowned, so it makes the price comparison tough.

Now that there's been time for people to have experienced the OS version. Is there true tangible value in having a Voyager not affected by any digital components in the knobs and controls etc? Or are we talking such minute differences in sound that it doesn't matter for all practical purposes?