Anyone regret getting Voyager Old School?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Operatron

Re: Anyone regret getting Voyager Old School?

Post by Operatron » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:39 pm

I'm saving for mine (CANT WAIT !).
:)

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:42 am

I think the OS has more classic status because it take away some of the more gimmicky features that are more susceptible to damage and wear over the years, (touch pad, I'm looking at you). Also, I know I will probably be unpopular for saying this, (I am anyway right?), but MIDI isn't all that necessary on a mono. Also, I don't personally know a single person who effectively uses regular Voyager's extras as a performance control. I think the thing the Voyager has over the OS is the back light. A Select Series Lunar in Mahogany would be tempting, but my money would go toward an OS even if they were the same price.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Voyager, PEK, A6, FIZ, Six-Trak, Juno, CZ, and other stuff

Post by pangmaster » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:51 am

No regrets here. As soon as it was announced I knew it was for me, and I bought one instead of the regular Voyager simply because sometimes I don't want all the digital c**p getting in my way. I have enough synths that have that stuff, so the OS is a refreshing change. It's probably the same reason I sold my Juno-106 but kept the 6. 8)

"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:03 am

I traded my Performer for one and don't regret it one bit. I don't miss the presets, touchpad or midi. I don't play live so having to patch from scratch isn't an issue. I think it's more fun to play than the Performer but that's subjective.

bsh

Post by bsh » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:09 am

Not an OS, but I regretted getting my Electric blue voyager even though I only paid 2100 for it, NIB (no joke, green tag sale). So I took it back, paid my 10% restocking fee and found a midimini. I am completely happy.

You can get a minimoog these days for not much more than a VOS. You don't get patch storage or midi either way. It's a no-brainer, seriously. If minimoogs were still 3-4 grand for semi-working examples like they were, maybe you entertain the idea, but even then, I would just get a MacBeth M3 or a minimidi if you can find one. or maybe a dotcom.

You don't want an "improved" minimoog. They made them just fine the first time, you don't want a stepford-wife perfect reincarnation.
MidiMini, MacBeth M5, Synthesizers.com 44 space, MV-8000, VP-9000, RE-201. Arp Solina, Rhodes Chroma Polaris, Prophet 600, ARP 2600, Prophet 5.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:14 am

bsh- all words of wisdom!

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:48 pm

Clavier wrote: Also, I don't personally know a single person who effectively uses regular Voyager's extras as a performance control. I think the thing the Voyager has over the OS is the back light. A Select Series Lunar in Mahogany would be tempting, but my money would go toward an OS even if they were the same price.
I love using the touchpad on the Voyager for expressive playing, I only wish they had implemented a hold function on it.
I have one of the early maple voyagers that came with blue lit wheels but no backlight.

I think the idea that the digital circuits in Voyager somehow make the analog sound of Voyager less analog sounding than the OS is a myth, that's just my opinion tho.
If I remember correctly from the Moog forum, several comparison tests were done between the two and there wasn't any discernible difference. Tom Brislin did a comparison of the two for keyboard magazine and that was his conclusion as well.

I love the OS and if I were buying a new Voyager today that is probably the one I would choose but then I start going through the presets I've made and I'm glad I can save them rather than copying the settings to sheets or taking pictures of the settings. Voyager does offer the option of setting the controls to default where you can create a sound from scratch.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:18 pm

If I buy a modern synth, it's going to be an OS.
I don't care that it doesn't sound like a Minimoog. I am merely attracted to having a solidly built nice sounding modern analog synth.
I have to echo everyone who has said "if you don't like yours... you can send it to me... [paraphrased])

Is it just me, or is it weird that most people can't help but make Minimoog comparisons whenever the OS comes up? Just because it's Old School doesn't mean they meant for it to be a Minimoog clone. My understanding was simply that the Old School aspect was the lack of presets, digital control, etc. ::shrugs::
Anyway. I covet.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: PEK, Voyager, JP-8080, Sirius, Radias, Lead 2, X-Station25, KS-Rack, Z1, MPC4000

Post by synthmax » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:29 pm

I reread the Sound on Sound reviews of the Old School and Perfomer editions. From what I read, it seems that the digital pieces do not intervene in the analog sound generation, unlike for example the Evolver. So that seems to leave the aspect of not relying on patches but on thorough understanding of sound generation. I think there's real value in that.

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:40 pm

seamonkey wrote: I think the idea that the digital circuits in Voyager somehow make the analog sound of Voyager less analog sounding than the OS is a myth, that's just my opinion tho.
I agree. I just prefer the layout of the OS.
Automatic Gainsay wrote:If I buy a modern synth, it's going to be an OS.
I don't care that it doesn't sound like a Minimoog. I am merely attracted to having a solidly built nice sounding modern analog synth.
I have to echo everyone who has said "if you don't like yours... you can send it to me... [paraphrased])

Is it just me, or is it weird that most people can't help but make Minimoog comparisons whenever the OS comes up? Just because it's Old School doesn't mean they meant for it to be a Minimoog clone. My understanding was simply that the Old School aspect was the lack of presets, digital control, etc. ::shrugs::
Anyway. I covet.
We are in agreement.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:18 pm

bsh wrote:You don't want an "improved" minimoog. They made them just fine the first time, you don't want a stepford-wife perfect reincarnation.
I didn't want a Mini myself, I wanted a nice monosynth with Moog filters. I quite often find myself making patches with:
Simultaneous 3 audible oscillators and LFO modulation
Oscillator sync
2 pole filtered sounds
Sweepable Waveform modulation
ADSR, not ADS-ADR enveloping
Feedback the output of just the 2nd filter to Audio In to tweak feedback cutoff with Spacing
Retriggering the envelope with the LFO

If I'd bought a Mini, I'd have none of this.
Last edited by Solderman on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:25 pm

There is a reason it's called minimoog voyager, and not minimoog model E of whatever, of is a totally new synth, it just shares aesthetic design with the minimoog.

Once I accepted that I was a lot happier with my voyager, which I now regret selling
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

panther

Post by panther » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:16 pm

if the only benefit to the Moog Old School is price, I don't understand why anyone would buy one.

I got my Voyager Performer for $1400, mint. They can be had for 1400-1600 used. School me on this please.

synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: PEK, Voyager, JP-8080, Sirius, Radias, Lead 2, X-Station25, KS-Rack, Z1, MPC4000

Post by synthmax » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:38 pm

Oh wow. If I may ask, where are non-rack Voyagers being traded for ~1500?

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Is it just me, or is it weird that most people can't help but make Minimoog comparisons whenever the OS comes up?
... posts a man who's never owned a Voyager Old School into a thread entitled "Anyone regret getting [a] Voyager Old School?" The start of the second sentence of the main Minimoog Voyager Old School product page on moogmusic.com: "The perfect solution for players looking for a road-worthy replacement for their venerable Minimoog Model D ... "

fwiw, i originally brought up the model d in this thread to counter the idea in the original post that the Voyager OS will stay a classic- because i don't think of the OS as classic yet while obviously the model d is.
synthmax wrote:Oh wow. If I may ask, where are non-rack Voyagers being traded for ~1500?
those are everywhere- you just have to look for the Performer edition that he's referring to... apparently backlighting is an extremely desirable feature!