Anyone regret getting Voyager Old School?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
MrFrodo

Re: Anyone regret getting Voyager Old School?

Post by MrFrodo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:14 am

The nearest equivalent I can find for now is this one, except that the second tier doesn't have joints in the middle. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=710037
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: PEK, Voyager, JP-8080, Sirius, Radias, Lead 2, X-Station25, KS-Rack, Z1, MPC4000

Post by synthmax » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:35 pm

So I just purchased a Signature Voyager. I pretty much chickened out from the Old School, especially since I can't find any deals on it. I think at some point I may make a switch though.

This was the auction. Shipping turned out to be 140, so all in ~2000.

realtrance

Post by realtrance » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm

Aside from the fact that the OS was probably designed and released in specific response to an expressed interest in having something that more closely and purely reflected the entirely analogue heritage of Moog, the biggest advantage, over everything, I can see in the OS over the Voyager is simply that it skips a few features that over a long period of time, are more likely to be delicate, or to break down in a way that is expensive to repair.

The OS is an instrument you can take on the road with no more worry than other instruments in its price range; the Voyager is not, both because of its cost, and the delicacy of a few things like its touchpad and backlight system.

It's more ephemeral, but the seduction of patch memory is a real issue for many; learning how to dial up your own sounds, and getting used to twirling knobs instead of pushing buttons, is required on the OS, whereas it's not on the Voyager. Where do you end up after a few years of using each? What hardwires into your brain as a result of this use?

The OS reflects the goals of instrument mastery that existed before all the electronic "assistance" came along with the advent of digital. It's a hammer made of wood and iron, with no electric bits, so to speak. There's discipline in that, discipline a specific audience wanted. That's all, really.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:44 pm

realtrance wrote:learning how to dial up your own sounds, and getting used to twirling knobs instead of pushing buttons, is required on the OS, whereas it's not on the Voyager. Where do you end up after a few years of using each?
Personally, I use the patch recall as a template/starting -point, and continue to tweak from there. That's why I bought the version with a single program bank. I only use about 20 or so patches.
realtrance wrote:The OS reflects the goals of instrument mastery that existed before all the electronic "assistance" came along with the advent of digital.
Mastery or not, you still may dial up a sound you'll never find again, so you may get one opportunity to record with it. The vintage models were more relevant in this regard due to their instabilities, but the complexity of synthesis, especially for one as versatile as the Voyager, makes this generally true for most.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:42 pm

bsh wrote:Sorry, Mojo is offensive too. Fortunately I've been set straight on this now so I can explain: synths have no "mojo", because they are tools. Does Austin Power's p***s pump have mojo? No, it does not. Not even afterwards.
Here's a helpful diagram.

"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:58 pm

c**p. Is that what the Signature models are going for these days? Guess I'll have to wait to sell mine until the market pickes up again.

synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: PEK, Voyager, JP-8080, Sirius, Radias, Lead 2, X-Station25, KS-Rack, Z1, MPC4000

Post by synthmax » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:20 pm

The sale was in the low quartile of eBay prices. I am guessing that's because of the really high shipping and because title had "minimoog" but no "moog". As % of the price, there seems to be a lot of variability in this instruments, with RME's between 1200-1700 and Voyagers between 2000-2700.

I actually wanted one of the new models, but a signature version seemed like too cool to pass up.

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Yoozer wrote:
bsh wrote:Sorry, Mojo is offensive too. Fortunately I've been set straight on this now so I can explain: synths have no "mojo", because they are tools. Does Austin Power's p***s pump have mojo? No, it does not. Not even afterwards.
Here's a helpful diagram.

[Diagram]
Brilliant =D>

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:29 pm

b3groover wrote:c**p. Is that what the Signature models are going for these days? Guess I'll have to wait to sell mine until the market picks up again.
I bought a signature Voyager with the extras (goose lamp, gig bag, certificate) for $2400 CDN last year, #110.

It wasn't expanded like the one above but the OS was updated.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:34 pm

I'm tempted to buy a Voyager RME, but at £1600, it's a little bit steep for a 1-note synth!
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by synthmax » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:42 pm

I've seen more than one RME go for ~1200 USD. I personally think that's a killer deal.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:45 pm

synthmax wrote:I've seen more than one RME go for ~1200 USD. I personally think that's a killer deal.
not so in the UK, prices are still high, nearly the same price as RRP.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

MPrint
Gear: Prophet 08, Moog LP Stage 2, Vestax Controller-one, Microkorg, Akai xr-20, Korg Electribe ESX-1, Macbook, Brain and fingers.
Band: Venkman/Melophonic

Post by MPrint » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:06 pm

wiss wrote:I regret not buying one yet.....but all gear purchases are on hold until the LinnDrum II
Still waiting to exhale......................

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:31 am

Syn303 wrote:I'm tempted to buy a Voyager RME, but at £1600, it's a little bit steep for a 1-note synth!
Hey Syn303, I would say keep an eye out for them used...I scored mine by trading and MEK for one [!!!], and I haven't looked back...it is steep for a 1 note synth, but it is also a pretty phenomenal note...I think you have a mono machine, righ? I am sure it'd be awesome to sequence from that...I've been sequencing it with a Machinedrum, and having pretty good success, but I know there are more elegant solutions...right now my core set up is MD + x0xb0x + Voyager RME...the x0x and the RME compliment each other really well

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:16 am

Every time I see this thread, I'm reminded, like most of my other gear, how much the Voyager(RME, not OS) disappoints as much as it pleases. I've come to the conclusion that by itself, it all too easily sounds boring when you can't do all that fancy fingerwork, like me. Not enough oscillator drift and too clean. It does sound really good paired with other synths, though. Lately, it's gotten most use for constructing sounds for samples. Controlling non-resonant 2 pole Highpass and resonant 4 pole Lowpass cutoff simultaneously with Midi velocity turned out to be interesting too. Makes me appreciate owners of Xpanders and Andromedas.
At the end of the day, I think the only mistake I made was buying it to replace an SCI Pro~One.

And I learned a new trick with it recently: Intermodulation between oscillators, due to the beating, makes the amplitude move up and down slowly and rather gracefully. I ran it through an Electrix Filter Factory, using its envelope follower, with moderate resonance on Highpass, and it made for a great swelling lead-type sound.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.