Prophet 5 - DOWNGRADE - Impossible????

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hobbs360
Gear: Roland SH 1000, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Yamaha YC-10, Mello-Sonic Organ, Hohner D6 Clavinet, Lowrey Organ, Allen Organ, Harvey Co baby grand

Prophet 5 - DOWNGRADE - Impossible????

Post by Hobbs360 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:46 pm

Ive read on this forum a few months back, that a downgrade from a rev 3 to a 2 or 1 it was impossible, is this a fact? there are 5 of the suckers on e bay right now, mocking me. there was a busted rev 2 on the other day but i bid too early and it turned into a pissing match...

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Prophet 5 - DOWNGRADE - Impossible????

Post by otto » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:47 pm

Well nothing is impossible but what you propose is ridiculous and would cost much more than just buying a rev 2 if that’s what you want. This isn’t some simple OS upgrade or anything similar. We’re talking about a major hardware difference between rev 2 and 3.

Why is this in "gear for sale"?
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:50 pm

otto wrote:Why is this in "gear for sale"?
Exactly, so there it goes....

Rangoon

Post by Rangoon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:43 am

Hobbs360 wrote:Ive read on this forum a few months back, that a downgrade from a rev 3 to a 2 or 1 it was impossible, is this a fact?
It's entirely impossible. Even the external panel is not compatible between the two versions, yet alone anything inside...

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:52 am

100% impossible. As mentioned, even the panel is different. The rear layout is different, you can't just remove CEM chips and drop in SSM chips either. The whole circuitry is different. They sound remarkably similar for how different they are...

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:26 am

hfinn wrote:As mentioned, even the panel is different. The rear layout is different, you can't just remove CEM chips and drop in SSM chips either. The whole circuitry is different. They sound remarkably similar for how different they are...
Agreed. I would describe it as entirely improbable, though.

However, were you to acquire a rev. 3, I doubt you would find a mod like that justifiable once you got familiar with it. Apples to apples.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:33 pm

God this is really taking things too far. Rev 2's are not that much better sonically than Rev 3's, if you like the prophet 5 the revision won;t make that much difference. This is where synth nerd bragging rights can do real harm when people want to put a knife to a rev 3 like it sounds like s**t or something.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:28 pm

Rev 3’s are less than garbage compared to rev 2s. You might as well compare a casiotone to a minimoog. I say buy a rev 3, take everything out of the wood case and either throw it away or give the parts to me (at no cost to you! And you’re recycling… A green synthesist really!). Then buy a rev 2 and take all the parts and panels out of the wood case and put them in the wood case of the rev3. Your conversion of a rev 3 to a rev2 is possible following those simple steps. Then if you want to keep your good name as a green synthesist you can send me the wood case of the rev 2. I will then put together this bastardized, less than garbage rev3 and put it back into use as a punishment for being c**p. Even though it deserves to die, I’ll let it live on and suffer with the knowledge that it is truly an inferior synth.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:51 pm

'smirk'
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:43 pm

I think otto pretty much nailed it. :D