What 80s songs can the DX7 Tubular Bells be heard on?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
MrFrodo

Re: What 80s songs can the DX7 Tubular Bells be heard on?

Post by MrFrodo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Dost my eyes deceive me? None of you mentioned "Kyrie" by Mr. Mister? That Tube Bell sound is featured during the bridge.
I also think it was used in the score from WarGames in 1983.

(Slightly off topic.) It's kind of frustrating. There are samples/simulations of that bell sound in my QS6, but I don't know where to look for it in the Korg 05rw module. Am I missing something? Would I need to have a sample made up and send it to the module? (Or, I could just get another synth, a DX7 MkII or TX 81Z.)
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:23 pm

MrFrodo wrote: I also think it was used in the score from WarGames in 1983.
Nope, that's a Synclavier.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:34 pm

MrFrodo wrote:Dost my eyes deceive me? None of you mentioned "Kyrie" by Mr. Mister? That Tube Bell sound is featured during the bridge.
That's because some of us have been trying erase that song from our memories for the last 23 years. Thanks for the reminder. :-&

I'll admit to liking "Broken Wings", though.

I'm friends with a person who's acquaintances with the guy who wrote the lyrics for that heinous song you mentioned. He said the song has no meaning whatsoever, but the words sounded good, so there you go.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:24 pm

Cocteau Twins used that sound on (I think) Orange Appled.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:02 am

braincandy wrote:
MrFrodo wrote:Dost my eyes deceive me? None of you mentioned "Kyrie" by Mr. Mister? That Tube Bell sound is featured during the bridge.
That's because some of us have been trying erase that song from our memories for the last 23 years. Thanks for the reminder. :-&

I'll admit to liking "Broken Wings", though.

I'm friends with a person who's acquaintances with the guy who wrote the lyrics for that heinous song you mentioned. He said the song has no meaning whatsoever, but the words sounded good, so there you go.
Aw, sorry to bring out the "demon," Braincandy. I had to find some way to enter the thread.

I do enjoy using that sound. It's one of the few sounds I turn on the Alesis to use.

Dividedbyzero

Post by Dividedbyzero » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:34 pm

It's on Ethnicolor by Jean Michel Jarre from his Zoolook LP too.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:51 pm

Don't know if there's any DX in it, but the thread made me think of this track (excellent '80s synth act, though their hair-do's/outfits are probably best ignored):
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:21 pm

Dividedbyzero wrote:It's on Ethnicolor by Jean Michel Jarre from his Zoolook LP too.
Argh #-o Being a Jarre-fan I should have remembered that. Actually I think the bell sound on that track, was the only time he ever used the DX7.
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron/MS-20 Mini

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:35 am

madtheory wrote:Wow, a real trainspotter's thread...

Band Aid- Do they know it's Christmas, right at the beginning, giving punctuation. This song is a good example of very well arranged electronic music!

XTC- The Meeting Place ( in the choruses)

Spot on - Band Aid's track was almost a DX7 advert - I'm a huge fan of FM but it has to be used with care. For me the 6OP FM bells sound best when played really low as on a lot of the early Enya tracks.

Another trick which sounds really cool is to sample a low DX7 bell and then reverse it - you can hear a good example of this on Stephen Duffy's track "In This Twighlight" - His 1985 album "The Ups and Downs" was maybe not that well known but there were some clever samples on it and it's covered in DX-7. The sound of a spinning coin played really slowly at the beginning of "Icing on the Cake" is clever too.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:53 am

(Slightly off topic.) It's kind of frustrating. There are samples/simulations of that bell sound in my QS6, but I don't know where to look for it in the Korg 05rw module. Am I missing something? Would I need to have a sample made up and send it to the module? (Or, I could just get another synth, a DX7 MkII or TX 81Z.)
A word of warning the TX81Z is a 4OP FM and DX7 6OP - you will never get those marvelous deep bell sounds out of a 4OP (nice basses though!) - I highly recommend TG77 - IMHO the finest example of FM ever made with the possible exception of FS-1R.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:04 pm

There is DX-7 all over Harold Faltermeyer's film scores (funny considering they always say he was hugely into analog in the reviews!) - inluding Axel-F, Shoot-out - and yes.... The Top Gun Anthem co-written with Giorgio Moroder uses that delightful moody Enya style low DX-7 Bell..... IMHO this is where Yamaha FM really excels!
Last edited by HideawayStudio on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:00 pm

HideawayStudio wrote:

A word of warning the TX81Z is a 4OP FM and DX7 6OP - you will never get those marvelous deep bell sounds out of a 4OP (nice basses though!) - I highly recommend TG77 - IMHO the finest example of FM ever made with the possible exception of FS-1R.
Thanks Hideaway. What about the TG-33? I haven't plugged one in yet, but I hear it's excellent for that type of period tone.

P. S. (Off topic.) Does your screenname have anything to do with Tom Scholz?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:06 pm

MrFrodo wrote:What about the TG-33?
Look it up. More of a ROM based sample synth with minimal FM capabilities.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:33 pm

The DX-7 tubular bells, or variations thereof, can also be heard on Charles Bernstein's synth-score to NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1984). I really like this score and highly recommend it to those of you who are into spooky instrumental electronic music.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:18 am

Micke wrote:The DX-7 tubular bells, or variations thereof, can also be heard on Charles Bernstein's synth-score to NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1984). I really like this score and highly recommend it to those of you who are into spooky instrumental electronic music.
Agreed! It really is a creepy sounding score but there is a lot of very moody and interesting synth work.