What 80s songs can the DX7 Tubular Bells be heard on?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Re: What 80s songs can the DX7 Tubular Bells be heard on?

Post by iProg » Tue May 19, 2009 7:07 am

synchilla85 wrote:I have heard the DX-7 tube bells on "Perfect Lover" (1983) by Kansas, "Only Lonely" (1985) by Bon Jovi, "Livin' On a Prayer" (1986) also by Bon Jovi, "Top Gun Anthem" (1986) by Harold Faltermeyer and Steve Stevens, and "You Better Be Good to Me" (1984) by Tina Turner.
The anthem to "Top Gun" is made with Harold's NED Synclavier afaik, correct me if I'm wrong..

Strangenono
Gear: Alesis Fusion 6hd
Roland Jx10
Yamaha SY77
Band: Technoir

Post by Strangenono » Tue May 19, 2009 11:12 am

You can also hear it on The Jets " when you' re young and in love "

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue May 19, 2009 8:01 pm

philip

Post by philip » Thu May 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Micke wrote:
john909kid wrote:It's also on the title track "Hyperborea" by Tangerine Dream. Here it coming in at 1.12 on this clip, and playing the sonorous lead line.

That track always send's shivers down my spine...

OT anyone know whats producing the vocal/choir effects on the track opening?
I believe that's the PPG Wave 2 or 2.2 but am not sure.
That is PPG not DX7,Im sure

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Mon May 25, 2009 3:42 am

Egyptian Lover - Freak 'A' Holic

Lots of Tubular Bell and Jupiter 8 stabs....

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Wed May 27, 2009 2:22 pm

Overgear wrote:Dali's Car - Cornwall Stone
Major bonus points for mentioning Dali's Car. Even more major bonus points for mentioning my favourite track by them.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Fri May 29, 2009 1:18 am

aXL wrote: Major bonus points for mentioning Dali's Car. Even more major bonus points for mentioning my favourite track by them.
Well, thank you, aXL! It's mine, as well. It never gets old. It reminds me of late night rainy drives through the city and getting dumped. :)

The fretless bass on some of the other tracks...just crazy :shock: ! I found myself trying to emulate his playing the other day.

ted1986
Gear: DX7, DX7IIFD, CASIO VL-1

Post by ted1986 » Sat May 30, 2009 5:06 am

Atlantic Starr - Silver Shadow (1985)
Comes in at the 2:00 mark.
One of my favorite 80s R&B/disco tracks, great production.

Dividedbyzero

Post by Dividedbyzero » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:47 pm

Don't know if its been mentioned yet....

Whilst listening to a-ha's first album 'Hunting High and Low' I noticed the DX7 bells all over the track 'Love is Reason'.

I have never heard this album before (even though it did come out in 1985) and its chock-a-block with DX7 and Fairlight. Nice.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50

Post by iProg » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:17 am

Dividedbyzero wrote:Don't know if its been mentioned yet....

Whilst listening to a-ha's first album 'Hunting High and Low' I noticed the DX7 bells all over the track 'Love is Reason'.

I have never heard this album before (even though it did come out in 1985) and its chock-a-block with DX7 and Fairlight. Nice.
You're sure it's the PPG?

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:22 pm

iProg wrote:
Dividedbyzero wrote:Don't know if its been mentioned yet....

You're sure it's the PPG?
No, he's right. Those are DX7 bells if I ever heard them. Though it bears mentioning that Magne was a huge PPG Wave fan and producer Tony Mansfield force-fed most of the album through the Fairlight. Cross-referenced "Love is Reason" with two examples of the DX7 and the PPG Wave (Howard Jones' "What is Love" and TD's "Hyperborea" respectively), and the "Love is Reason" bells are DX7, beyond doubt.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:01 pm

I'd like to know something, which could play a part in a future purchase. Do any of you know if there's a sample of the DX bells in the Motif XS? I've searched for it several times and not found it. In a synth/workstation that big, it's got to be there. Can any of you confirm this?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:06 pm

iProg wrote:
synchilla85 wrote:I have heard the DX-7 tube bells on "Perfect Lover" (1983) by Kansas, "Only Lonely" (1985) by Bon Jovi, "Livin' On a Prayer" (1986) also by Bon Jovi, "Top Gun Anthem" (1986) by Harold Faltermeyer and Steve Stevens, and "You Better Be Good to Me" (1984) by Tina Turner.
The anthem to "Top Gun" is made with Harold's NED Synclavier afaik, correct me if I'm wrong..

In fact, the FM synths used by Faltermeyer on the Top Gun score score included a TX816 and DX-7 (sequencing was done with a Yamaha QX-1). There's no Synclavier on there, he didn't aquire it until after that soundtrack had been recorded.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by iProg » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:20 pm

Micke wrote:
iProg wrote:

In fact, the FM synths used by Faltermeyer on the Top Gun score score included a TX816 and DX-7 (sequencing was done with a Yamaha QX-1). There's no Synclavier on there, he didn't aquire it until after that soundtrack had been recorded.
Ok thanks for that :) Gotta listen to the soundtrack again! What other synths were used by Harold?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:02 pm

Hey iProg, try to see if you can figure out what analog synths and drum machines Harold used on the instrumental score :D

In case you didn't know, Arthur Barrow arranged and played the synths on the vocal tracks composed by Giorgio Moroder,
the most famous undoubtedly being "Take My Breath Away".
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979