Korg/Univox 700 - Any Opinions

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
lhm1138

Korg/Univox 700 - Any Opinions

Post by lhm1138 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:34 pm

Looks like something Automatic Gainsay may have used.

I'm picking one up today for a good price. The demos sound pretty good to my ears, very Devo. Sounds good for a one oscillator synth that looks more like a fun machine than the stuff that usually fetches high prices. Any parts that are hard to acquire should it get sick?

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Korg/Univox 700 - Any Opinions

Post by nadafarms » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:43 pm

it rocks. but no cv/gate but they are really solid tanks I wouldn't worry about breaking down too much
for sale/trade: EML-101

lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks nada. I found a page with a CV/Gate mod you can do:

http://www.cykong.com/Synths/Korg%20700 ... ateMod.htm

The unit looks rough, but is supposed to be %100 functional. Couple of keys will probably need replacement. $150. I guess if I don't like it, I can clean it up and flip it to someone.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:49 pm

if you modded it with cv/gate I would buy it from you!

$150 is a good deal don't pass it up.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:57 pm

I did the mods on my 700S for CV/Gate, Filter Input, and lastly, Resonance controls to the front. The latter kinda messed up something, so I wouldn't recommend it. I just did it becuase the Minikorgs can only change resonance normally from a trimpot inside. The first two mods come highly recommended, if you can do them yourself or find a tech who will. You'll love that HP/LP series filter.

A while back a VSE member asked if I would re-create all of the patch-sheets from the manual.
Here is that demo set. http://67.18.24.4/~murmurbe/music/demos ... llenge.rar
Pay particular attention to the ones in the "700" folder, because you need the second oscillator to do all the 700S patches.

Also, the parts are mostly discrete, with a few 741 op-amps. Thing is, the oscillator and filter are encased in epoxy, originally to prevent design theft. So those would be really difficult to repair. I've seen a schematic of the filter though, and it's all discrete parts.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:54 pm

love my 700, it's been with me a LOOOOOOOONG time, with zero problems.

lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:14 am

Jesus. f**k. Christ.

This might be the best sounding analog I've ever owned. $150!

Really dusty, needs a good cleaning, especially the key contacts. All keys work, but one is raised and the other is broken off halfway. Some of the sliders are a bit bent too, but they work fine, not even scratchy which is surprising. And I can't figure out what "Repeat" does, note repeat? LFO? The vibrato is subtle but nice. The expand seems to change the range of the filter or something, bright seems to be a HPF mode, not sure. God, this thing sounds so beautiful, love the lead sounds... is this why people go on about synths with discrete components? Could use a calibration, or maybe it just requires quite a bit of time to warm up.

Some pics:

aeon

Post by aeon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:52 am

lhm1138 wrote:God, this thing sounds so beautiful, love the lead sounds... is this why people go on about synths with discrete components?
That's part of it - but to be sure, the design is ultimately more important.

But yeah, the Korg 700 and 800DV have beautiful, raw analog sound - underrated it seems to me.

cheers,
Ian

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:02 am

yeah and if you think it sounds good wait til you try the minikorg 700s which has the ring mod/FM and second oscillator. Much better...

the Korg 770 is supposed to sound the same and be same but it isn't! The 770 sounds better I think, it has a little more range in the filter and I dunno just a little different than the minikorgs and maxikorg. I would actually prefer the 770 over the maxi.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:14 am

lhm1138 wrote:I can't figure out what "Repeat" does, note repeat? LFO? The vibrato is subtle but nice. The expand seems to change the range of the filter or something, bright seems to be a HPF mode, not sure.
Repeat retriggers the envelope when you hold a key. Typical "machine-gun" triggering.
Expand actually sends Envelope to Filter. You don't get to adjust envelope depth, however.
Bright is resonance. You only get to switch between low and higher resonance with the switch. There are internal trimpots to change the absolute resonance value between them.
You might have noticed the Traveller controls do not sweep the entire audio spectrum. One of my few complaints. ADS/ADR envelope shared for amp and filter is also kinda disappointing, but at least it's a punchy one.

It really does have a sweet gooey sound to it, like sonic caramel. If you do the Filter Input mod, you'll see how sensitive the VCF really is. It's great for warm overdriven type stuff.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:16 am

You're right, I see that now. This little guy's underrated. If it had PWM and noise gen it'd probably go for alot more. Is that what the chorus 1 and 2 settings are, some sort of fixed pulse width?

Repeat works now, there must've been some dust gunking up the SPDT switch that worked it's way loose. So, 100% functional. I love the filter on this thing, beautiful! I can only imagine how awesome the 700S is now. Was this really Korg's first synth? That would explain all the weird parameter names.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:25 pm

Yeah, Chorus 1 and II are fixed speed PWM. I'm pretty sure it was Keio Electronic Lab's first synth, which used Korg(Keio Organ) as their product name until the mid 80's, when they renamed their corporation to the same. I've heard it was the first mass-produced synthesizer in Japan. All the weird names and use of switches probably relate to them previously being an organ manufacturer, and trying to attract customers who were already familiar with them. That's why release is called "Sustain" for example, so as not to confuse organ players at the time. That and the controls being on the front, of course.
--Solderman no more.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:52 pm

An 800DV is mos def near the top of my most wanted list. Probably everyone elses too.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

alpha5000dk
Gear: Clavia|NordRack2X
Korg|TritonLe
MFB|FilterBox
Waldorf| Rocket
National|SX-3800a

Post by alpha5000dk » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:29 pm

I hate myself for selling my 700s. Hope to find another one some day.

It really have a raw and wonderfull sound :twisted:

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Solderman wrote: I've heard it was the first mass-produced synthesizer in Japan.
Afaik, that disctinction goes to Roland's SH-1000 which pre-dated the MiniKorg 700 by a few weeks or so.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979