The Blofeld's sample upgrade

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hinotori
Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

Re: The Blofeld's sample upgrade

Post by hinotori » Tue May 12, 2009 5:04 am

so that would make 48 simultaneous samples within one multipatch ? Is there anyway to "sequence" the oscillator selection ? so for example, inside the seq/arpeg you could make a simple percussion pattern stepping between different samples as oscillators within a single patch ?
sorry for the many specific questions, im just keen to clear up some of these things before i purchase a blofeld :)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue May 12, 2009 5:15 am

Stop making me want to buy a Blokey.

blitzdj86
Gear: Modified DR-110, ES-1 Mk2, KP3, Various Pedals, MG82CX mixer.

Post by blitzdj86 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:14 am

hinotori wrote:so that would make 48 simultaneous samples within one multipatch ? Is there anyway to "sequence" the oscillator selection ? so for example, inside the seq/arpeg you could make a simple percussion pattern stepping between different samples as oscillators within a single patch ?
sorry for the many specific questions, im just keen to clear up some of these things before i purchase a blofeld :)
Not really, no.. Using either some tricky arp and/or LFO action you might be able to get a very basic rhythm going,

It's a pity there is not direct note-per-step editing in the arpeggiator.. it would be so damn easy to implement, and would give each part in the blofeld a 16 step sequencer.

You could technically do it by playing a chord of the drum parts you want, then setting up the first/last/etc notes of the drum beat.. but it would be a headscrew.

hinotori
Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

Post by hinotori » Tue May 12, 2009 8:40 am

many thanks blitzdj86 your information has made me decide 100% on the blofeld. maybe you should contact waldorf for a commision as ive not found this information clearly explained anywhere else on the internet。its a shame that the sample upgrade is currently unavailable in Japan so ill have to wait for an international order.... thanks again. those options have made the blofeld incredible even if the arp isnt as advanced as it could be. fingers crossed on an update for that. :)

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue May 12, 2009 11:03 am

Its pretty advanced for an arpeggiator but a little frustrating as it is so close to being a sequencer but is not quite there.
Its been alot of fun up to now this new sample upgrade thingy.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Tue May 12, 2009 6:37 pm

blitzdj86 wrote:
th0mas wrote:
hinotori wrote:does anyone know if you are able to keymap several samples in a single patch ? kind of like a sampler...
You can get the same effect but since samples are just oscillator replacements you will need to make a seperate patch for every sample you want to play, then make a multipatch, load each single patch, and configure the low/high key to separate the keybed for each sample you want. tadaaaa

Actually you dont,
<snipped schooling me>
WOW! I had no clue that was supported.. that's what I get for commenting only on what I thought I knew based on the waldorf forum talk and not what I have done myself. Sorry for the misinformation, I should have mentioned in my post it was just what I thought based on the mailing list posts!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue May 12, 2009 11:49 pm

I'm curious about this too. On the PPG Wave, samples would be loaded like a pieces of a wavetable, so you'd have to sweep the wavetable to play the entire sample. Like the old saxophone preset.

blitzdj86

Post by blitzdj86 » Wed May 13, 2009 1:23 am

th0mas wrote:
WOW! I had no clue that was supported.. that's what I get for commenting only on what I thought I knew based on the waldorf forum talk and not what I have done myself. Sorry for the misinformation, I should have mentioned in my post it was just what I thought based on the mailing list posts!
S'all good man - it's not exactly "supported" yet

the program you use to load custom samples into the blofeld - spectre, is still in very early beta... its kind of a headscrew to use.. I'm having troubles with it at the moment.

But yeah, its definitely able to do these things... I really can't believe how cool this is.. it's exactly the kind of quirky feature that I was hoping would somehow pop up in the blofeld! :)

Also for anyone hoping for improvements to the blofeld, besides minor fixes and such - Apparently the space where they store the OS.. is full...
I dont see why they couldnt use a few KB of the sample flash memory. . but yeah.. I asked them about the possibility of a proper sequencer and they said there's no more room to put new stuff in, and they'd have to rewrite the entire OS...!

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed May 13, 2009 2:38 am

blitzdj86 wrote: Also for anyone hoping for improvements to the blofeld, besides minor fixes and such - Apparently the space where they store the OS.. is full...
I dont see why they couldnt use a few KB of the sample flash memory. . but yeah.. I asked them about the possibility of a proper sequencer and they said there's no more room to put new stuff in, and they'd have to rewrite the entire OS...!
D'oh! I think if they fix the bugs though, the Blofeld is a ridiculously amazing synthesizer as it is.. and I don't even have the sample upgrade yet!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed May 13, 2009 12:02 pm

Don't need a sequencer when we can MIDI it with a dozen VST sequencers anyways.

blitzdj86

Post by blitzdj86 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:47 pm

some of us despise using computers!

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed May 13, 2009 7:34 pm

That is quite weird. The OS size has gone up and down quite a lot. I guess it's got something to do with DSP RAM but if the Flash RAM is available for oscillators it must be running pretty fast.

I wonder how many bytes Nietzsche's moustache uses?

DocT

Post by DocT » Fri May 15, 2009 9:13 pm

A little Blofeld track:

http://www.trippler.net/files/blo/blokeysc.mp3

All sounds including drums from a Blo with sample upgrade.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri May 15, 2009 9:18 pm

DocT, you made all my presets :)

blitzdj86

Post by blitzdj86 » Sat May 16, 2009 5:39 am

Yeah I dont believe the OS size thing.. a 16 step sequence would require minimal space.. the flash memory would be plenty fast enough.

OH BTW I was wrong with the FMing two multisampled drumkits together - it doesnt seem to do anything.

By the way... this thing is a GLITCH MONSTER!!!