Why the alesis micron gets no respect ??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
KBD_TRACKER

Why the alesis micron gets no respect ??

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:45 pm

it is really a unique and still novel machine, due to its huge packed power, size, design, user interface, and price.
yet, rarely is it discussed.
as if it lacks of knobs was some sort of nasty plague.... gee, even the radias gets more respect !!!!

Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z

Re: Why the alesis micron gets no respect ??

Post by Ry-Fi » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:43 pm

I disagree, I think the Micron gets a ton of respect. h**l, I love my Ion and yet I'm surprised by how much love the Micron gets. I personally wouldn't enjoy the limited interface, but there are a lot of people out there that make do with what they have and triumph in the face of such challenges, so a huge kudos to them!

Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:09 pm

I used to own a Micron and have now had an Ion for a couple years. I think the Micron does a nice job of combining so many features into one small package, but instead of a great synth, they aimed for an all-in-one sound machine. I never liked the "sequencer" and far prefer the simpler layering of 4 sounds on the Ion. The knobs on the Ion are also nice to have. I do miss that stereo delay with separate delay times for left and right channels, and I liked the feel of the sliders. I prefer having wheels for modulation, but if the Ion had four of those Micron sliders in its envelope section I would be so pleased.

Anyway, despite having the same engine and a few more features (delay) than the Ion, the Micron just seems a little more "toyish" because of its sequencer and lack of true multitimbrality.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:16 pm

KBD_TRACKER wrote:it is really a unique and still novel machine, due to its huge packed power, size, design, user interface, and price.
yet, rarely is it discussed.
as if it lacks of knobs was some sort of nasty plague.... gee, even the radias gets more respect !!!!
No respect? Rarely discussed?
There are 557 mentions of it on VSE using the search function.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/searc ... mit=Search

Also, if you like it, who cares what anyone else thinks about it?
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

bradkë
Gear: Einatmen, ausatmen. Im Rhythmus bleiben. Was soll ich tun?

Post by bradkë » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:37 pm

Yeah, I thought the Ion/Micron were generally highly praised. My Ion is still one of my favs I've yet owned.

I just pulled my stuff out of storage last week and first thing I did was update the Ion to v1.0.6. Lol, been in storage for a while. Forgot how good some of the preset pads were.
Roland Juno-106, TR-707, SDE-1000 | SCI Prophet-5 (3.3) | Oberheim OB-8 | Yamaha DX7IID with E! | Alesis Ion, MMT-8, DataDisk
Kawai K4r | MOTU 828mk3, 8pre, MIDI Timepiece AV | M-Audio Axiom 61, BX8a | TC Electronic M300

blitzdj86
Gear: Modified DR-110, ES-1 Mk2, KP3, Various Pedals, MG82CX mixer.

Post by blitzdj86 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:00 pm

as if it lacks of knobs was some sort of nasty plague....
that's because it is! :lol:

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:16 pm

I think the ION was overlooked and so the 'mini version' was placed in the same boat. I also think it was over-shadowed by the Korg MicroKorg. And before we get off into the tangent of specs and who likes what better, I think it's safe to say the MicroKorg is more popular than the Micron no matter how you slice it.

And thus it's left as another option after...
I would even say the Bloefeld is moving into the space it used to occupy even for a few dollars more.

Plus, I thought it looked corny...
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:22 pm

two words = end cheeks

the public is unfailingly fickle, and the mKorg has "sexier" faux-veneer end cheeks and 'Moog knobs'.
So there's your answer, and it really is as simple as that.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:40 pm

I noticed its rarely discussed among antartic penguins.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:45 pm

Murderhausen wrote:Anyway, despite having the same engine and a few more features (delay) than the Ion, the Micron just seems a little more "toyish" because of its sequencer and lack of true multitimbrality.
But the sequencer is pretty good - it's a key transposable step-type sequencer that supports non step recording. As with everything Micron you are painting through the letterbox but other than that what's not to like? And it is multitimbral, in fact I think you can actually have eight parts, possibly more, including a full drum map, split over MIDI channels and key zones more or less as you like. Is there a difficulty doing layers on the same channel or something, I can't remember.

What I do like about the ION / Micron architecture is the way they use a small DSP chip for each voice. There's just something appealing about that, it's almost reassuring in a weird way to think that each voice has a dedicated processor.

BoxPhenom

Post by BoxPhenom » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:45 am

if this was really a vintage synth forum I guess It wouldn't be mentioned at all ;)

unless you gig with it or don't use a computer i don't understand why you'd want a knobless VA.

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:31 am

Zamise wrote:I noticed its rarely discussed among antartic penguins.
though it does have a cult following.

the red makes them feel warmer.
the little green buttons make the little

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:32 pm

BoxPhenom wrote:if this was really a vintage synth forum I guess It wouldn't be mentioned at all ;)

unless you gig with it or don't use a computer i don't understand why you'd want a knobless VA.
1. It's the best sounding VA you could afford
2. You're not interested in programming sounds, just playing them
3. What does not using a computer have to do with not wanting knobs?
4. You want something small to play with in your bedroom, not a big thing covered with knobs
etc.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:00 pm

I've had both a Micron and an Ion. The problem with the Ion was at least mine had issues with the outputs and being really, really noisy. The programming interface was awesome though. As for the Micron...well, you have plenty of real time control too but you've got to set it up. What would be great is if you could afford to program with an Ion and send it over to the Micron for live performance.

As for the sound engine...well, if you after analog emulation I think it's pretty much as good as it gets. I think it nails DCO synths to the wall and is pretty close to the VCO analogs I've owned (though still lacking a certain oomph that I cannot explain empiracally).

It's the physical design of the synth that I think enforces its redheaded stepchild status. It looks like a stick of gum to me. At least the Akai version of the Micron will have real wheels. It took me awhile to get use to horizontal sliders. I know it's suppose to look futuristic but had Alesis gone the more "vintage" route I think it would've sold more. Anyways, I love that synth engine and will probably always (knock on wood) have either a Micron or Ion in the lineup. I wish someone would put that engine in a real first class knobby box that isn't so problematic (or flat) and I think it would do gangbusters. Or if somehow Akai reduced the Micron/Ion engine into a Blofeld style box for cheap.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

blitzdj86
Gear: Modified DR-110, ES-1 Mk2, KP3, Various Pedals, MG82CX mixer.

Post by blitzdj86 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Or if somehow Akai reduced the Micron/Ion engine into a Blofeld style box for cheap.
now. . that is a serious idea!

I was actually at one point considering buying a micron and mutilating it. . removing the circuitry from the keyboard shell and fitting it into a box. . I never did get to look inside one though and see how much space circuit boards took up.