Why the alesis micron gets no respect ??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Why the alesis micron gets no respect ??

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:58 pm

Plenty of discussion about Microns breaking #-o

It had plenty of respect when first released but then newer toys come along and older ones get forgotten. Now that it's been repackaged as the MiniAK we'll see what kind of respect it gets.

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:16 pm

You don’t see a lot of discussion about older VAs in general but you did when they were newer. I mean the micron probably gets no more or less respect than an MS2000/microkorg, AN1X, JP-8000, etc. I had a micron and liked the sound, wasn’t crazy about the quality of the effects and hated the interface. It could have been a lot better looking if they would have chose a more subtle accent color like white or even black. The red made it look like a toy but that’s an insignificant complaint. While I liked the micron/ion sound engine and am even one of the rare people that preferred it to the microkorg, I think the virus line blows either of those out of the water and I really don’t think one needs more than one or 2 VAs because they all seem capable of covering a lot of the same territory. Of course in 20 years people will prove me wrong by stockpiling them like they do analogs today.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:41 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Plenty of discussion about Microns breaking #-o

It had plenty of respect when first released but then newer toys come along and older ones get forgotten. Now that it's been repackaged as the MiniAK we'll see what kind of respect it gets.

ooh, that looks interesting, the Micron Xl, er I mean that Akai... Any ideas on prices? UK price is TBA.
Stephen(2)

aeon

Post by aeon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:34 am

If Alesis made a 16-voice version of the Ion in a desktop-format module with knobs*, they might get me to pounce. The Ion keys was just a little short on poly and I didn't dig the screen angle. The Micron never appealed at all.

* It wouldn't even have to have the full set from the Ion - less would be fine if they did a Waldorf Q-Rack-style adaptation in exchange for 16-note poly.

cheers,
Ian

ERIC31
Gear: .

Post by ERIC31 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:13 am

Here's the lowdown on the Akai miniAK straight from the source.

http://www.akaipro.com/miniak#

Quick little video demo for it.
http://www.oldmanarmy.com
http://www.electrogarden.com
Synth Wish List: Alesis Micron, Novation Xiosynth 49

LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Yamaha SK-20
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2
Eko K2 + FM4 + Rotomachine
Band: Mountains Unfold

Post by LucB » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:31 pm

I do wonder why you felt the Micron wasn't getting respect, it's praised by many as an affordable, easy to use VA and in my opinions it is. But then again for the price i'm still unsure why you would choose a Micron over something like an X-Station or a Microkorg XL.

blitzdj86
Gear: Modified DR-110, ES-1 Mk2, KP3, Various Pedals, MG82CX mixer.

Post by blitzdj86 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:46 pm

I think the microkorg XL looks wonderful,
and has a more practical interface..

The X-station is the most knobby, by far..

Neither is multitimbral though, neither has a sequencer, and neither does as good an emulation of analogue sound.

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:26 pm

I think the worst part about the micron, is simply the interface. There is a whole h**l of a lot of synth in there, and they chose to go with a minimalist approach. When i see this, i think the company is hinting strongly "just use the hundreds of presets!".

Here is what i want to see instead of the Miniak: Image

Yea it was a quick late night photoshop job, but I would totally sacrifice the 3 octave keyboard if it meant a large LCD and rows of knobs in a matrix editor.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:45 pm

I think it does get respected as it should, most people agree on the power of Ion/Micron.

stephen wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:Plenty of discussion about Microns breaking #-o

ooh, that looks interesting, the Micron Xl, er I mean that Akai... Any ideas on prices? UK price is TBA.
According to some Akai people, around $500.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:23 pm

Some useful info there....

But does this mean the micron will cease production?

I almost bought a micron once, but was put off by the interface. I went for a microkorg instead (but I no longer own it). I do like small synths, but right now my desk is full of an1x - not so compact!
Stephen(2)

ERIC31
Gear: .

Post by ERIC31 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:02 pm

Neonlights84 wrote:I think the worst part about the micron, is simply the interface. There is a whole h**l of a lot of synth in there, and they chose to go with a minimalist approach. When i see this, i think the company is hinting strongly "just use the hundreds of presets!".

Here is what i want to see instead of the Miniak: Image

Yea it was a quick late night photoshop job, but I would totally sacrifice the 3 octave keyboard if it meant a large LCD and rows of knobs in a matrix editor.
That looks cool. Add the keyboard at the bottom, change the side panels to black and it's good to go! You should send that to Alesis!!
http://www.oldmanarmy.com
http://www.electrogarden.com
Synth Wish List: Alesis Micron, Novation Xiosynth 49

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:16 am

h**l it was my first synth and I had no idea what the I was doing. I ended up selling due to my, at the time, inability to make a decent patch. Despite this I would never say the micron is a bad piece of equipment, its just a bad choice for a beginner with no knowledge of synthesis. For the record I find synths like the microkorg, kawai k1/k4, and Yamaha TG33 easy to program despite their minimal control panel. Its easy enough to access the parameters on the Micron, its just hard to see how they all correlate.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

factual35
Gear: Korg EA-1,Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Alesis Micron, DSI Evolver Desktop
Band: Mike Rochip

Post by factual35 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:26 am

I've had a Micron for about 4 months now, and it's suited my needs. The sound is good, not great, but good. It was, however a step up from the sound of my EA-1, but not as good as the sound of the original Korg Legacy collection. Given that, it has been very useful, and I've recorded quite a bit with it.

I see the sequencer is getting a lot of flak on here, but I think it's pretty damn cool. I use the "setups"[sequences mapped to different parts of the keyboard] and trigger the sequences with my EA-1. So far its worked pretty good, but it can be tedious at times.

Programming sounds takes time, but is possible if you understand subtractive synthesis. h**l, even if you don't the manual explains everything. I would, however love to have as many knobs on it as the Ion. I'd love the h**l out of something that had all the knobs of the Ion with the sequencer and set up features of the Micron.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:03 am

Wouldn't it be nice if Akai repackaged the Micron in a knobby 49 key version. I can see Microns becoming sought after classics 10-15 years from now. Especially if soft synths become even more predominant.

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:48 am

nuketifromorbit wrote:h**l it was my first synth and I had no idea what the I was doing. I ended up selling due to my, at the time, inability to make a decent patch. Despite this I would never say the micron is a bad piece of equipment, its just a bad choice for a beginner with no knowledge of synthesis. For the record I find synths like the microkorg, kawai k1/k4, and Yamaha TG33 easy to program despite their minimal control panel. Its easy enough to access the parameters on the Micron, its just hard to see how they all correlate.

Wow. Same story here. I had NO idea what i was doing. Now that Im a synth wizard :wink: id like to see what i could do with it. Thanks to eric31 for liking my idea!
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.