Which Synth Had The Worst User Interface Ever?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Re: Which Synth Had The Worst User Interface Ever?

Post by Synthaholic » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:57 pm

I don't have experience with a lot of the mentioned synths, but of the ones I've owned:

TX802, it's not THAT bad. The keypad is a lifesaver, and the tone select buttons act as submenu selectors. I can punch values in pretty quickly, as opposed to...

the D-550. Now I've owned both a D-50 and now a D-550, and the differences are night and day when it comes to the programming interface. The D-50 provided a keypad and the joystick to speed data entry; the 550 lacks both of these. It's like a TX802 without the keypad, only inc/dec buttons, and lots of in-and-out menu diving. I wish I still had a PG-1000.

The Motif XS's integrated sampler was apparently an afterthought. Horrible interface there. Which is a shame because the rest of the synth is a delight.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Esus

Post by Esus » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:54 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Syn303 wrote:A woman synth has the worst user interface ever. Difficult to understand, has deep programming, you forever need to refer to the manual, and if you push the wrong buttons your in trouble.
yeah, but at least if you get to stick your d**k inside her, you won't get a shocked c**k...
Unless she's got an STD. :(

It's always something...

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:40 pm

Neonlights84 wrote:The DX7 has the single worst user interface ever.

I think Yamaha intended for the CX5M to be the user interface for the DX7. Among the available carts when the CX5M was introduced was a graphic editor for the DX7 that actually looked pretty decent. But Yamaha bungled the marketing and support for the CX5M, so I doubt that more than a handful of DX7 owners ever saw it.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

bradkë
Gear: Einatmen, ausatmen. Im Rhythmus bleiben. Was soll ich tun?

Post by bradkë » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:07 pm

DX7 II
Roland Juno-106, TR-707, SDE-1000 | SCI Prophet-5 (3.3) | Oberheim OB-8 | Yamaha DX7IID with E! | Alesis Ion, MMT-8, DataDisk
Kawai K4r | MOTU 828mk3, 8pre, MIDI Timepiece AV | M-Audio Axiom 61, BX8a | TC Electronic M300

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:36 pm

Nah, the D-50 is worse without a PG-1000. More parameters and therefore more menus. The DX7 isn't THAT bad - there's almost a button for every parameter, barring envelopes. There isn't even any real menu diving involved in all honesty.

Understanding FM itself is a completely different kettle of fish though. ;)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:20 pm

StepLogik wrote:
jupiter8 wrote:I see you have'nt tried the Yamaha TX16W.
I have'nt tried anything even remotely as frustrating, counterintuitive and simply ARRRGGHHHHH ever.
Those synths you're suggesting are childs play compared to the TX16W.
Absolutely. Worst interface by a country mile. It was, for all intents and purposes, impossible to actually do anything.

I hated that sampler with a passion. #-o
S'funny, with the Typhoon OS, it's one of the best samplers ever. Like it automatically detects the pitch of a sample and maps it for you. Not even Kontakt can do that. Loads of modulation options too, the best one being different positive and negative pitch bend for each zone, if you want.

but with the Yamaha OS, it's worse than an Ensoniq Mirage. It used to crash, and do things you hadn't asked it to do.

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:13 pm

Esus wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Syn303 wrote:A woman synth has the worst user interface ever. Difficult to understand, has deep programming, you forever need to refer to the manual, and if you push the wrong buttons your in trouble.
yeah, but at least if you get to stick your d**k inside her, you won't get a shocked c**k...
Unless she's got an STD. :(

It's always something...
wtf.

i never got a manual.

i pushed some way wrong buttons this morning.

dammit.
the little green buttons make the little

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:57 am

JSRockit wrote:Roland MC-303 for me...
+1
soundcloud.com/vectron

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:59 am

Casio HT-700 is pretty bad.. despite all the buttons, you still have to use an alpha dial to both select parameters AND set their value. pretty frustrating experience.

notchsider
Gear: Monomachine
Eurorack Modular
Studio Elect. SE1
Nordmodular
MS20,MS50,PS3100
MIDIBOX SID
MPC500
SP505
JD990,MKS50
DX200,FS1r
Band: notchsider

Post by notchsider » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:37 am

Yamaha FS1r - user interface for the mad programmer!!
it's easy only to create performance patches but in the patch department is like running blind in the traffic...
It's not so easy even with the sw editor, but it sounds GREAT!

I find TX81z quite easy to create patches...

Even D-110 is not so difficult to program but the UI is quite bad.
Synthvibrations

PC VSS30 Monomachine Eurorack Nordmodular SID Acidlab MK SE1 FS1r TX81z uWAVE SK5 ASR-x MPC2000XL MPC500 ATC1 JD990 DX200 MS20+50 System100 MC202 Jupiter4 Prophet5 Evolver Gameboy

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:22 am

Worst for me was the Roland MKS-70. Hated that interface with a passion. So much button pressing just to get to simple screens. Trying to switch back and forth between parts and parameters was horrible. This thing NEEDS the/an editor of some sort.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

mute

Post by mute » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:43 am

i think the proetus command station based stuff, mp7, xl7, etc. are a super pain in the rear. i dont know what they were thinking with the fx section...

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:50 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
Nah, the D-50 is worse without a PG-1000. More parameters and therefore more menus. The DX7 isn't THAT bad - there's almost a button for every parameter, barring envelopes. There isn't even any real menu diving involved in all honesty.

Understanding FM itself is a completely different kettle of fish though. ;)

I think I have to agree here... I have both a DX7 II and a D-50.. now on the D-50 the upsides are a slightly more logical button layout 'under the screen' but the joystick for quick adjustments is far more bothersome than the data slider on the DX7 II. And FM vs 'LA'.... both different but at least on the DX7 you do get lots of buttons... it's just 'FM' itself that takes the thinking rather than the interface which is just similar to many digital synths that are 'easy enough' to progam because they don't use FM. So that would be a 'what is the hardest form of synthesis to program' thing rather than actual synth interface (i think).

I program the D-50 from an editor mostly, with the DX-7 I do enjoy doing it from the synth itself so there must be something going for it. With the D-50 it's better to take a 'wide overview' with all the partials and then things like effects and all it's many many options... the best editor is the midiquest one in my opinion.

salwa

Post by salwa » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:35 am

+1 for D-110. Also the manual was written by trained monkeys.
TX 802 must have easy UI, because even I can understand it. Pretty simple when it comes to the multitimbral stuff. Making your own sounds... well, I supose it's easy too, unless, of course, you can't understand FM (like me). And it has big display.
I'd say that Poly 800 have bad UI. Of course, everything is written on the surface, but using those little, clunky buttons makes you think that this dreadful Alpha Dial isn't so bad thing.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:20 pm

The Roland VK-8 - there are many parameters that can be tinkered with, but they are only accessible via various button combinations. No manual? Forget about it!
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian