Yamaha CS-01

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Yamaha CS-01

Post by Alex E » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:42 am

It's all analog with VCO's. It's a very cool little portable synth. Wonderful sounding PWM, by the way. In my opinion they're overpriced last time I checked, but I traded mine for my MS2k so I'm not complaining. :)
soundcloud.com/vectron

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:10 am

I had the CS-01 mk2. Nice synth, but very basic. Decent for simple 'sounding' leads and basses. Nothing too great, but decent for retro stuff. The PWM is it's best feature, but beyond that..... I'd rather have $200 in my pocket instead.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:52 pm

You aren't getting the MKII for $200 anymore.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:18 pm

Thanks guys, a big help as usual. There's quite a bit of disinfo out there about this synth, maybe due to confusion on the mk1 and 2.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:45 pm

I've never heard of MK 2... Had one for three years, lovely little synth.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:08 pm

dinotread wrote:I love my cs01. wish i hadn't sold the white one i had to smallsynth, but did i really need 2? i think it sounds good midrange. bass is really low audibly on mine, and the high stuff gets kinda dirty. maybe i just need to clean it.
anyway, the manual says its a vco. then again, so does the synth.
i still have it. i replaced the insides with a CS02-mkii, though. so now it is pretty much the ultimate synth.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:12 am

I think it's been fairly well established that the cs-01 uses digital clocking to create the waveforms (look at the schematic). That is definitely a DCO design. I don't see how anyone can call that a VCO.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:02 am

StepLogik wrote:I think it's been fairly well established that the cs-01 uses digital clocking to create the waveforms (look at the schematic). That is definitely a DCO design. I don't see how anyone can call that a VCO.
Don't tell them that. Then it will go from sounding "Warm, thick and analogue" to "Thin and a little harsh" overnight.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:08 pm

IF you can find it for under $200, it's a great deal. I can't think of another genuine analog with as much tweakability in that range. On the other hand, mk II's are going for $500-600 on eBay. A mk II just went for $180 on shopgoodwill.com and I missed out because I was in transit. I would have gotten it; what a steal!

here's what she's capable of with a c/v gate retrofit in the hands of a capable musician. (and one of my favorite DM songs, to boot!)

Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:30 pm

tekkentool wrote:
StepLogik wrote:I think it's been fairly well established that the cs-01 uses digital clocking to create the waveforms (look at the schematic). That is definitely a DCO design. I don't see how anyone can call that a VCO.
Don't tell them that. Then it will go from sounding "Warm, thick and analogue" to "Thin and a little harsh" overnight.
Yup. I'm just trying to bring eBay prices down :lol:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:00 pm

tekkentool wrote:
Thank God we can be more objective than that, and know that everything sounds the same.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:34 am

If they are going for more than CS-5s or CS-10s that it just silly... h**l for $599 you can get a CS-15 on ebay. It's much more limited and doesn't use the same voice chips as the rest of the CS series and doesn't sound nearly as good to me. I used to have a CS-01mkI, bought it for $50, sold it for $100.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:10 pm

Walter Ego wrote:IF you can find it for under $200, it's a great deal. I can't think of another genuine analog with as much tweakability in that range. On the other hand, mk II's are going for $500-600 on eBay. A mk II just went for $180 on shopgoodwill.com and I missed out because I was in transit. I would have gotten it; what a steal!

here's what she's capable of with a c/v gate retrofit in the hands of a capable musician. (and one of my favorite DM songs, to boot!)

There really is nothing in the whole CS01 Mk I/II thing apart from variable resonance which is very easy to retrofit to the original. Don't get me wrong, the CS01 is capable of making some great sounds but having owned one, and repaired another recently, I can assure everyone it's most definitely a DCO synth (quite unlike the CS-05 which is analog through and though) but not in the same way as the Juno-106 has a full moog style analog ramp core, the waveforms are generated by the micro directly and then passed on to the VCF/VCA (ie. it little bit more like the Korg DW8000 but in implemented in a much less expensive manner).

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:32 pm

HideawayStudio wrote: I can assure everyone it's most definitely a DCO synth (quite unlike the CS-05 which is analog through and though) but not in the same way as the Juno-106 has a full moog style analog ramp core, the waveforms are generated by the micro directly and then passed on to the VCF/VCA (ie. it little bit more like the Korg DW8000 but in implemented in a much less expensive manner).
I've wondered about that. That proprietary tone generator IC is fed with a digital clock (square wave) and pitch, modulation, etc are controlled by modulating the clock rate. I assume the key decoder portion of the IC then divides the clock rate to produce the desired pitch?

Past that, you can see the waveform comes directly out of the chip and into the VCF. So however it is being generated it is done internally in that proprietary IC. So you think that chip doesn't have a "ramp core" design and is based more on a lookup/wave table design? Either way, it is fairly interesting to see how yamaha implemented it so cheaply.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:34 pm

StepLogik wrote:Either way, it is fairly interesting to see how yamaha implemented it so cheaply.
Maybe they took their "resistor-ladder-on-chip-wavetable" design from Electones? OTOH - in E50/70 these tasks are performed by at least 5 chips - there is separate key scaner, voice assigner, increment lookup table for wave counter (tuning table), the counter itself and then this weird WaveROM. Well - they have to handle 12 voices and 136 keys - maybe it was possible to put a mono version on a single chip.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)