Promising glance at the "Oddulator"

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
stikygum

Re: Promising glance at the "Oddulator"

Post by stikygum » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:09 am

It looks like a solid box. Seems like he uses nice knobs too.

$550 US is a good deal I think. I'd buy it over a Mopho for sure.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:41 pm

Synthmatic wrote:It looks interesting but depending on the price, the DSI Mopho might be a better deal. Is it polyphonic? If not, can they be chained together for polyphony?
I would say you can't compare the two at all. Analog vs. Digital etc. The oddulator sounds so crusty and strange. The mopho is kind of your standard analog.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

mute

Post by mute » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:42 pm

stikygum wrote:It looks like a solid box. Seems like he uses nice knobs too.

JSRockit wrote:
Synthmatic wrote:It looks interesting but depending on the price, the DSI Mopho might be a better deal. Is it polyphonic? If not, can they be chained together for polyphony?
I would say you can't compare the two at all. Analog vs. Digital etc. The oddulator sounds so crusty and strange. The mopho is kind of your standard analog.
I'm in agreement with these two. I don't see the comparisons to the Mopho (and even less the Blofeld) at all really outside of the fact that they're compact synthesizers. I'm pretty much sold on this box when it comes out unless there are some problems that come up.

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:07 pm

Again, yes, it seems tough to try to compare this with other stuff...

The way he's doing multifunction knobs are a refreshing idea to save space on functions...

I really like the way the envelopes are being handled by the two knobs...thats some quick shape changing right there...

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:09 pm

stikygum wrote:It looks like a solid box. Seems like he uses nice knobs too.

Keep in mind 550 is the price I'd be willing to pay for it. The actually price is probably going to be about 600usd (450 euros).
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:14 pm

You guys are comparing the prices of a true boutique synth to a synth that is sold in chain stores. DSI is cool, but LL can't compete on price alone. The just aren't going to be doing the volume that DSI will be doing.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:33 pm

JSRockit wrote:You guys are comparing the prices of a true boutique synth to a synth that is sold in chain stores. DSI is cool, but LL can't compete on price alone. The just aren't going to be doing the volume that DSI will be doing.
I honestly don't think a price of 600 usd is unreasonable. In fact I expected it to cost even more.

*edit you have a very good point.

wilsontherocker

Post by wilsontherocker » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:57 pm

Wow! I love the fact that the sequencer is so tied in with the synthesis. The latter part of the video is exactly the kind of jamming I love to do with my desktop evolver. I wonder if this will have midi clock in for syncing. Having those two running along side each other seems like would be a lot of fun.

Also, it's interesting how the aliasing gives a vocal quality to the oscillator. Who needs analog when you've got people like this guy doing really interesting things with digital? :)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:11 pm

Looks like a great synth.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:35 pm

wilsontherocker wrote:Wow! I love the fact that the sequencer is so tied in with the synthesis. The latter part of the video is exactly the kind of jamming I love to do with my desktop evolver. I wonder if this will have midi clock in for syncing. Having those two running along side each other seems like would be a lot of fun.

Also, it's interesting how the aliasing gives a vocal quality to the oscillator. Who needs analog when you've got people like this guy doing really interesting things with digital? :)
Afreakingmen. I see no point in having something with vco's and vcf's if I'm feeding it into a behringer amp through cheap digital effects. I was thinking about saving up for an evolver desktop, but I might opt for this due to its simplicity. Wow this is the first time I've ever actually been hyped up for an unreleased synth.
Last edited by nuketifromorbit on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:56 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:
wilsontherocker wrote:Wow! I love the fact that the sequencer is so tied in with the synthesis. The latter part of the video is exactly the kind of jamming I love to do with my desktop evolver. I wonder if this will have midi clock in for syncing. Having those two running along side each other seems like would be a lot of fun.

Afreakingmen. I see now point in having something with vco's and vcf's if I'm feeding it into a behringer amp through cheap digital effects. I was thinking about saving up for an evolver desktop, but I might opt for this due to its simplicity. Wow this is the first time I've ever actually been hyped up for an unreleased synth.
If the sequencer is anything like the one in the rozzbox, it is quite powerful, but much more complicated, and harder to figure out than the one on the Evolver. I think that the rozzbox controller will help things, but the ui on the sequencer there isn't helped by the lack of dedicated controllers. It gets rather confusing to operate it.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Any word on this? Release date?

mute

Post by mute » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:48 am

28.7.2009 Da ich mich ab sofort anderen Aufgabenfeldern widmen muß, wird der Oddulator leider nicht mehr veröffentlicht. Ich entschuldige mich hiermit bei allen Interessenten.

Form now on, I'll have to put all my energy on a different task field, resulting in that the Oddulator won't be released. I'm sorry for all potential customers.
damnit,..i was so looking forward to the oddulator..