Lead Synth on A-Ha's Take on Me?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
elsongs

Re: Lead Synth on A-Ha's Take on Me?

Post by elsongs » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:48 am

How about the drum machine?

philip

Post by philip » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:00 pm

linndrum

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Bolstered by samples triggered with the AMS. Read the SOS article...

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:12 pm

philip wrote:The main lead is Juno 60 layerd with dx7, it's been discussed about 1000 times! The Pad sound is Prophet5!! The bassline is DX7! The bell sound is PPG!!Fairlight for FXs!!
Not so sure there's any Fairlight on the Alan Tarney produced version. It's all over Tony Mansfield's original 7' version though.
Are you sure the pad sound on the former version is Prophet 5? I thought it was the Juno-60.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

philip

Post by philip » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:02 pm

Micke wrote:
philip wrote:The main lead is Juno 60 layerd with dx7, it's been discussed about 1000 times! The Pad sound is Prophet5!! The bassline is DX7! The bell sound is PPG!!Fairlight for FXs!!
Not so sure there's any Fairlight on the Alan Tarney produced version. It's all over Tony original 7' version though.
Are you sure the pad sound on the former version is Prophet 5? I thought it was the Juno-60.

FXs left from Mansfield's multitrack, and it was fairlight. Prophet 5 on pads- that is 100%.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:15 pm

Okay philip.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Not really related to the lead synth discussion, but I read once that the trio get hooked on the Fairlight and did the sequencing on "take on me" themselves on that machine, when Tarney was away from the studio.. When he came back the song was 99% of what you hear on the final album release. It wouldn't surprise me if that is true with other songs too, doing it themselves that is.

The album is very creative with the patterns, drums and all. Could the drums on "take on me" come from the CMI? It certainly would be logical if they (probably Mags) built the track up with drum samples on Page-R, with the ease of that visual interface, instead of going through the trouble of syncing drum machines and building patterns on them. To me it kinda sounds that way too.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:10 pm

Maybe the interview/article that you read was referring to Tony Mansfield's original 7¨ version - which uses lots of Fairlight parts -rather than the Alan Tarney produced album version, considering that Tarney didn't have a Fairlight at his studio (also, I'm not sure he was trained to handle the Fairlight).

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:24 pm

D-Collector wrote:Could the drums on "take on me" come from the CMI?
The Sound on Sound article states drums were LinnDrum, not CMI.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:38 pm

Micke wrote:Maybe the interview/article that you read was referring to Tony Mansfield's original 7¨ version - which uses lots of Fairlight parts -rather than the Alan Tarney produced album version, considering that Tarney didn't have a Fairlight at his studio (also, I'm not sure he was trained to handle the Fairlight).
Possibly, but he produced their first 3 albums and there is Fairlight all over those.. He must have been familiar with it. At least A-ha were. I'm sure tracks like "Train of thought" were built firmly on the CMI.
nathanscribe wrote:The Sound on Sound article states drums were LinnDrum, not CMI.
Well, I can't argue with that.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:50 pm

It's a pretty good article, but doesn't clear up everything. Still, it beats smacking keys on a Portasound and wondering why it doesn't sound like Shep Pettibone. Not that I ever did that way back when. Ahem.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:05 pm

D-Collector wrote:
Micke wrote:Maybe the interview/article that you read was referring to Tony Mansfield's original 7¨ version - which uses lots of Fairlight parts -rather than the Alan Tarney produced album version, considering that Tarney didn't have a Fairlight at his studio (also, I'm not sure he was trained to handle the Fairlight).
Possibly, but he produced their first 3 albums and there is Fairlight all over those.. He must have been familiar with it. At least A-ha were. I'm sure tracks like "Train of thought" were built firmly on the CMI.
Yes but Tarney only produced two songs on A-Ha's debut album, most of the songs on that album were produced by Tony Mansfield, including "Train of thought" and
he was a big Fairlight user at the time. I'm not too familiar with their 2nd and 3rd album so I can't comment on those.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:10 pm

nathanscribe wrote:It's a pretty good article, but doesn't clear up everything. Still, it beats smacking keys on a Portasound and wondering why it doesn't sound like Shep Pettibone. Not that I ever did that way back when. Ahem.
Hehe! But there is something interesting in there:
“When they came to RG Jones, my equipment was already there,” adds Tarney. “This included a [Roland] Juno 60 that provided the song’s main theme and which I still use, as well as a UMI computer system that a friend of mine put together, and which Vince Clark also used. That’s what I used to drive the instruments, and there was a LinnDrum that Pål programmed. He was absolutely brilliant at doing that — I’ve never seen anyone as good as him at programming a Linn.”
He says he used the UMI computer to "drive" the instruments, then I assume of course he means sequencing. I know about that particular system from Bel Canto's first albums and from Vince Clarke, and that actually clears up a lot for me. Pattern sequencing on the UMI, synced with the LinnDrum. You can see how one could be fooled.. I always thought it was the CMI sequencing.. Damn. Must. Research. UMI. Computer. Now.

But the fact remains that there are a lot of nice Fairlight sounds all over those first 3 albums.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:14 pm

Micke wrote:Yes but Tarney only produced two songs on A-Ha's debut album, most of the songs on that album were produced by Tony Mansfield, including "Train of thought" and
he was a big Fairlight user at the time. I'm not too familiar with their 2nd and 3rd album so I can't comment on those.
Ok, that would explain it. I should have checked production credits. I remember researching a lot about this before but my mind has filled up with useless facts.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:43 pm

I think UMI was a sequencing package and interface system for the BBC Micro... (2:40 below)

I think they did MIDI and CV/Gate interfacing, but I know very little about it indeed.