Lead Synth on A-Ha's Take on Me?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Lead Synth on A-Ha's Take on Me?

Post by D-Collector » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:48 pm

I know they used it here:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:49 pm

philip wrote:FXs left from Mansfield's multitrack, and it was fairlight. Prophet 5 on pads- that is 100%.
There's no evidence of this. Tarney doesn't mention the P5 once in the SOS article, and the Tarney version is clearly a new take. It's a different drum track and none of the Mansfield Fairlight effects survive- the reverse orchestra hit, the percussion and weird ambient thing in the middle section. Take a listen to the demo, 1984 7" and 12", and the instrumental of the Tarney version, you'll hear it.

philip

Post by philip » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:34 pm

madtheory wrote:
philip wrote:FXs left from Mansfield's multitrack, and it was fairlight. Prophet 5 on pads- that is 100%.
There's no evidence of this. Tarney doesn't mention the P5 once in the SOS article, and the Tarney version is clearly a new take. It's a different drum track and none of the Mansfield Fairlight effects survive- the reverse orchestra hit, the percussion and weird ambient thing in the middle section. Take a listen to the demo, 1984 7" and 12", and the instrumental of the Tarney version, you'll hear it.
I don't care about what was mentioned in SOS article, this info's right from the first hands. It was P5 on pads.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:39 am

What evidence do you have? I'm only going by the evidence available- the demo, the two versions, and their various mixes on the deluxe version if the album- not JUST the SOS article. If you've got other evidence I haven't seen it in thus thread. Did I miss something?

Dommedagsprofet

Post by Dommedagsprofet » Tue May 19, 2015 11:43 pm

madtheory wrote:What evidence do you have?
I believe he by
philip wrote:[...] this info's right from the first hands. It was P5 on pads.
refers to
aXL wrote:I've asked Magne about this myself once [...] and the answer was indeed a mix of Prophet, DX7 and PPG Wave,[...] However, I'd imagine he was referring to the layers; a Prophet pad, a DX7 bassline and PPG lead. [...]
aXL's post is on the first page of this thread and is from 2009.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed May 20, 2015 12:28 am

Magne Furuholmen is one of the most respected and well-known artists in Norway, it's not unheard of that people have asked him about that lead sound and got a perfectly fine answer that isn't printed in SOS. He isn't a public recluse either, he's appeared as judge on music-related reality shows recently even. The Voice I believe it was.
He is also a pretty successful painter, and had many exhibitions, so plenty of opportunities to meet the A-Ha fans outside of touring.

It's certainly something I'd ask him about if I got the chance. :geek:

Micke gets 90% of his inside info from asking the artists directly via email too, I assume.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:48 pm

they used a lot of DX7, Juno 60, PPG, synclavier synth, Fairlight, Emulator, Wasp, Prophet 5, with lots of layering.

i have a full gear list but couldn't find it in my quick search.

they've also got a new album coming out soon and will be touring too, check it out!:

http://a-ha.com/news/articles/cast-in-s ... -and-tour/

totally looking forward to hearing it - their previous album kicked a*s!
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

dayglo98
Gear: Casio VZ-1
Korg DW-6000
Akai AX73
Yamaha DX7
Yamaha V50
Casio MT-100
Farfisa TK62

Post by dayglo98 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:59 pm

Thread necro but I think the Korg DW-6000 can maka a fairly accurate recreation

OSCILLATOR A

Post by OSCILLATOR A » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:55 pm

The "lead synth" is just a Juno-60. Typical for the sound is the onboard analog chorus and sub osc.

Check out this Live performance where Magne plays a Juno-106, that sounds very close to the Juno-60.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:38 pm

Here are the keyboards isolated from "Take on Me". Doesn't really solve the mystery but still interesting to hear.

Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:23 pm

That doesn't sound like the original at all. The guy made that himself from a MIDI file. Edit: Just listened to his other "multitracks" and none of them are authentic.

maestro300

Post by maestro300 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:59 pm

Here is the real isolated synth track from Take On Me. This will clear things up!! Silence at beginning is where the LinnDrum intro would be. Check out his other isolated tracks from this song.

Last edited by maestro300 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:27 pm

maestro300 wrote:Here is the real isolated synth track from Take On Me. This will clear things up!!
Cool. What are you using? Zynaptiq?

desmond

Post by desmond » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:31 pm

madtheory wrote:
maestro300 wrote:Here is the real isolated synth track from Take On Me. This will clear things up!!
Cool. What are you using? Zynaptiq?
No, most of these stems from classic tracks put online are ripped from video games such as Rock Star (there are loads of them) etc, where the original tracks were separated into stems for the games for people to sing/play along to. So there will often be a drums, keys, guitar, bass and vox stem for any given track.

Totally illegal to put online, but fun to explore! ;)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:36 pm

O ya. Just discovered that via Google after checking his Youtube channel. The depths of the interwebs, meh!

BTW just reading that you've OCR'd the Patchworks articles. Nice work! Very cool :) I programmed the Eno DX-7 stuff into a DX-7 a while back, then transferred them to FM7. They didn't come out exactly the same as on the DX-7, but it was fun.
Last edited by madtheory on Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.