Lead Synth on A-Ha's Take on Me?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
maestro300

Re: Lead Synth on A-Ha's Take on Me?

Post by maestro300 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:37 pm

madtheory wrote:
maestro300 wrote:Here is the real isolated synth track from Take On Me. This will clear things up!!
Cool. What are you using? Zynaptiq?
I didn't rip this one-- this guy has a YouTube channel and has hundreds of songs that I think he actually isolates himself. He separated all of the tracks from Take On Me:

Vocals Only
Drums Only
Synth Only
Instrumental (no vocals)
FX Only - the synth solo is on this track starting at 1:58 Most of the rest of that track is silent.
Guitar Only
Bass Only

Let me know if you cannot find his YouTube channel from that link. His current name on YouTube is "Jo Phel" They keep removing his channel due to copyright of the songs. Though he keeps opening it under new names.
Last edited by maestro300 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maestro300

Post by maestro300 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:39 pm

:51 seconds into that rip- that sound is just mesmerizing! That is the synth(s) I would like to know the source of!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:02 pm

maestro300 wrote: I think he actually isolates himself.
Nah, that's still not possible to do this well. As desmond mentioned, these are stems from Rock Band on the Playstation. Specially mixed from the original master tapes.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:04 pm

Claiming he can magically extract single instruments from a song and isolating them is like believing someone can extract just the flour from a freshly baked bread. It's no doable.

Rock Band/Guitar Hero on the hand have all the tracks separated on the DVD, so it's just a matter of finding out how to rip them into MP3 files.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:14 pm

Bitexion wrote:It's no doable.
I wouldn't go that far. There's this range of products from Zynaptiq. I remember reading that for the Beatles Rock Band material, Giles Martin and the engineers used Izotope RX to isolate stuff. They had to, given that most of the Beatles material was 2 track or 4 track so almost nothing was isolated. I wish I could remember where I read it though! Not sure if I made it up ;)

So magic is kind of possible, and the technology can only improve :)

maestro300

Post by maestro300 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:21 pm

Some may be from Rock Band but this guy has hundreds and hundreds of songs. Most of them are popular but would never make Rock Band and the like. Especially since he can isolate tracks as "Extras" which is mainly silence but has a few instruments that did not fall within the general instrument tracks. As the Take On Me-- his FX only track just has the keyboard solo isolated at around the 2 minute mark.

I've tried to ask him how he does it-- but never responds. Check it out if you haven't! He puts somewhere around 3 - 15 songs on per week!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSM9Ys ... _VQ/videos

maestro300

Post by maestro300 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:26 pm

Another example of this in these two isolations. Now see if you can time and play both at the same time :D

We Built This City : Synth only track

Bass isolation : We built this city

desmond

Post by desmond » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:51 pm

maestro300 wrote:Some may be from Rock Band but this guy has hundreds and hundreds of songs. Most of them are popular but would never make Rock Band and the like.
No, the proper "multitracks" all come from the game stuff (or occasionally officially released by the artist for remixing in some cases).
I remember when these started hitting the net, and I've had a few, including the a-ha one, for a fair few years now.
maestro300 wrote:He puts somewhere around 3 - 15 songs on per week!
Other than the official stems, there's probably a bunch of stuff that comes from artist remixes, or unofficial sources, some which are "un-mixed" in the usual ways, and these are poorer quality than official multitracks, including acapella vocal tracks and so on. And some are fakes.

Edit: I had a quick look at the link you put there, and there is nothing there I haven't already seen on the net before, and yes, most of it comes from the game stuff and other similar sources.

desmond

Post by desmond » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:53 pm

maestro300 wrote::51 seconds into that rip- that sound is just mesmerizing! That is the synth(s) I would like to know the source of!
Have a read of the SOS article explaining the production history of Take On Me, and that's the gear they used...
Like a ot of classic tracks, usually the gear or even the patch used is not that special, but it's usually arranged and mixed with a good degree of skill, which is why the parts work so effectively.

desmond

Post by desmond » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:54 pm

madtheory wrote:BTW just reading that you've OCR'd the Patchworks articles. Nice work! Very cool :) I programmed the Eno DX-7 stuff into a DX-7 a while back, then transferred them to FM7. They didn't come out exactly the same as on the DX-7, but it was fun.
8-)

Was always fun getting a new free patch or two with a magazine - that was back when synth patches had some significant value, unlike today...

maestro300

Post by maestro300 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:08 pm

desmond wrote:
maestro300 wrote:Some may be from Rock Band but this guy has hundreds and hundreds of songs. Most of them are popular but would never make Rock Band and the like.
No, the proper "multitracks" all come from the game stuff (or occasionally officially released by the artist for remixing in some cases).
I remember when these started hitting the net, and I've had a few, including the a-ha one, for a fair few years now.
maestro300 wrote:He puts somewhere around 3 - 15 songs on per week!
Other than the official stems, there's probably a bunch of stuff that comes from artist remixes, or unofficial sources, some which are "un-mixed" in the usual ways, and these are poorer quality than official multitracks, including acapella vocal tracks and so on. And some are fakes.

Edit: I had a quick look at the link you put there, and there is nothing there I haven't already seen on the net before, and yes, most of it comes from the game stuff and other similar sources.
Thanks for the insight - you may be correct. I still wonder how he can source all of these. I assume this is why he hasn't shared what "software" he uses to isolate tracks. You'll find dozens of comments on various tracks asking him what software he uses 8-) He just has a good secret source close to somebody in the music industry. Thanks for the comment!

desmond

Post by desmond » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:50 pm

maestro300 wrote:I assume this is why he hasn't shared what "software" he uses to isolate tracks.
Most likely, yes.
maestro300 wrote:He just has a good secret source close to somebody in the music industry.
Or, *much* more likely, he just downloaded them from the same places I did, when they first started getting leaked to the net some years ago. It wasn't particularly "secret", they were widely leaked and available, and people into music production were of course quite keen to check them purely out of interest as us nerds are interested in stuff like this.

And I know at least one person who was involved in the production of a lot of those console music-themed games that confirmed this was where these multitrack leaks were coming from (and who was pretty p*ssed off about the leaks).

I don't know if much new stuff has appeared other than what was leaked then, which again supports my theory. If he can do what nobody else can, and magically extract mixes back into stems (which we all know is impossible to do with any degree of quality, but is kinda-sorta-partially possible in some cases with varying (but poor) results), then it's a simple matter for him to "prove" it by taking a request for *any* given modern track, particularly an obscure one, which people can supply him with a good quality AIFF of - and which he won't of course do, because, well, that's not what's happening.

I *am* surprised his youtube account hasn't been taken down, though...

maestro300

Post by maestro300 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:33 pm

@Desmond

Well spoken! Appreciate the explanation - makes total sense to me now!

ItsMeOnly

Post by ItsMeOnly » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:06 pm

maestro300 wrote::51 seconds into that rip- that sound is just mesmerizing! That is the synth(s) I would like to know the source of!
Wave and P5 layered (sorry for taking away the magic)...

VCO8

Post by VCO8 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:48 am

Does anyone know what drum machine was used here? Sounds nothing like the Linns/DMX's/808's which were popular around the time this was made. Maybe a Fairlight? (Yeah, I know it's kinda unrelated :? )