Lead Synth on A-Ha's Take on Me?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
desmond

Re: Lead Synth on A-Ha's Take on Me?

Post by desmond » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:27 am

Could be done on a Fairlight - certainly the bass is very rigidly sequenced and sounds like mono sample playback and quite typically "Fairlighty"...

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:49 am

ItsMeOnly wrote:
maestro300 wrote::51 seconds into that rip- that sound is just mesmerizing! That is the synth(s) I would like to know the source of!
Wave and P5 layered (sorry for taking away the magic)...
I politely beg to differ. I'm almost certain that's a DX7 bell/piano-type patch with LFO assigned to pitch. The bass line is the DX7's Bass 1 preset.
GC

ItsMeOnly

Post by ItsMeOnly » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:49 pm

gcoudert wrote:I politely beg to differ. I'm almost certain that's a DX7 bell/piano-type patch with LFO assigned to pitch. The bass line is the DX7's Bass 1 preset.
It's been a while and I have only a vague recollection what was the thing discussed, but I believe it's the chorus bell/pad thingy. When they were in concert (I believe that was Opole, maybe Sopot) for the first time Magne showed me - in deed a Wave and Prophet lagging behind.

1way2life

Post by 1way2life » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:45 pm

I know this is an old thread...
But I'd thought I post a Juno 60 sound close to the original, as they did use it in some way on the record...

From LEFT to RIGHT on the 60:

LFO: 6.9
LFO Delay: 0
DCO LFO: 0
PWM: 4.9
PW Switch: LFO
PULSE: On
SAW: On
SUB: On
SUB LVL: 3
Noise: 0
HPF: 0
VCF FREQ: 5.5
RES: 1.6
ENV Switch: Normal (non-inverted)
VCF ENV: 6.4
VCF LFO: 0
VCF KYB: 0
VCA Switch: Env
VCA LVL: 5
ENV A: 0
ENV D: 3.2
ENV S: 0
ENV R: 4
CHORUS: II

This was probably layered with the PPG Bell sound, or Fairlight, but the 60 was the foundational sound.
Add your fav reverb :-)