Dust Covers

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Dust Covers

Post by EmptySet » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:34 am

I'm wondering what people's experiences are with various synth dust covers. Are there any particularly notable brands? Materials? Notoriously bad ones? I have a variety of shapes and sizes that I'd like to eventually cover and I haven't a clue where to start. (Google is all over the map on this) Also, I'd like to do this without requiring a second mortgage.

nuromantix

Re: Dust Covers

Post by nuromantix » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:56 am

Are you mental??
No offense but I use old bedsheets for big keyboards, pillow cases for drum machines and a towel over the mixer, total cost: nothing

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:24 am

Well, no, I don't think I'm mental, but maybe you should ask my wife though :lol:

I've spent a fair amount of money (for me at least) on my equipment and since a lot of it is older, I've also spent a considerable amount of time repairing and servicing my gear to get it not only in good working condition, but often in good looking condition too (new wood, etc…). I just want to protect my goodies and that includes the potential from liquid spills, dust, fading, and so on. (I also have kids) I don't think bed sheets are going to hack it, unfortunately.

And btw, I'm not planning to cover everything. Just some of the ones I value a little more.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:31 pm

In the case of new instruments, I adapt whatever wrapping they came in (usually a thin-foam like sheet) and for everything else, I use bubblewrap (small bubbles), which I buy in large rolls at £5 per roll. For deeper instruments (front-to-back), I tape two sheets together.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:47 pm

If you want something more substantial than a bed sheet or towel, I recommend LeCover. You order direct from him, since they're not carried in stores. I bought one for a Drumtraks several years ago--solid work:

http://www.lecover.com/Cover_Co./Studio/main4a.html
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Tons of things work. Ironing board covers are good. Vinyl tablecloths. Sheets. I don't like towels because they leave lint...at least, mine do, and they're dust magnets.

If you want something specialized you could always give the dimensions to someone on Etsy to make you one, for a reasonable price: http://www.etsy.com/alchemy

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:18 pm

I forgot to mention in my recommendation for LeCover that his covers aren't those soft, stretchy kind made from a thin fabric. They're fairly thick and substantive with fitted corners, and measurements match those of a long list of instruments. You won't have to worry about slippage or trying to stretch the heck out of the material like you do with those generic covers you find in stores.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

guillermotin

Post by guillermotin » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:01 pm

You might be looking for this:

- It's a thick transparent plastic film (not those ones used for food wrappings, ok?)
- Can fit any synth you want, you just have to cut it to the right size
- Waterproof
- Protects from dust
- Scratch-resistant
- Ridiculously CHEAP
- Looks great on gear.

Sorry that I can't tell you specifically where to buy it, but I believe it's very easy to find in your countries as well. The last picture can give you an idea of the thickness of the film, so you can look for it. I made all the covers myself, using just a pair of scissors and some transparent tape to hold the sides in the right shape of each synth. Took me less than an hour.

I hope this might serve you as a good alternative.

Cheers.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:15 am

EmptySet wrote:...I just want to protect my goodies and that includes the potential from liquid spills...
Folks, why bring drinks within 8-10 feet of da gear? When a beer is required, keep it in another area and drink when little breaks are needed. The only way to be safe.

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by EmptySet » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:50 am

garranimal wrote:Folks, why bring drinks within 8-10 feet of da gear? When a beer is required, keep it in another area and drink when little breaks are needed. The only way to be safe.
Understood, and not a bad suggestion. (I learned this the hard way once when I ruined my first P6 courtesy of the Heineken bottlers). However, it is not always possible in practice. (just one example, bar bands) For me, kids are the main concern with the potential for liquid events. Being enticing toys doesn't help matters much either. :)

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by EmptySet » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 am

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Just the sorts of ideas I was looking for.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:31 pm

I use garbage bags.

Why?

1. They keep dust off.
2. They're cheap.
3. When they do get a little dusty, I pull them off, put new ones on, and use the "old" ones for their originally intended purpose.

It's not the most aesthetically pleasing system, but it works.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:57 pm

For form fitting covers, I've had good luck on ebay. I've gotten good "Yamaha" covers for about maybe $12 plus shipping... One of these actually fits my oddly shaped CS-30 perfectly!

Depending on your space, it can make sense to have form fitting covers. I think the sheet suggestion is pretty silly-these add their own element of dust/lint, and will also trap more of it too..
Do you even post on vse bro?

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:45 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:I use garbage bags.
The white kitchen bags appear to be full of static charges. Heavy outdoor black bags might be the same way. Always wonder what static charges are doing to things.

BTW I've used the thick transparent plastic before and those photos show a much cleaner job than I did at the time. Used doublestick tape to fit the corners, but turned to goo after about a year or two. Threw them out. Then invested in the nylon stretchy covers, and enacted my no-drink policy.

Kids are one thing. But tipsy mates chugging beer products around the gear can be worse. So you want the thick clear plastic in those instances.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Fri May 01, 2009 12:40 am

It's never been an issue for me. I've used green, clear and black garbage bags for almost 20 years without incident.

I can't see a small static charge to the chassis being any great issue either. Wearing wool socks on a dry winter's day before touching a synth's front panel (which I've done) would generate far more static discharge than a stationary bag.