What to do with a dead Nord Modular engine?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Re: What to do with a dead Nord Modular engine?

Post by th0mas » Fri May 01, 2009 7:50 pm

Pighood wrote:Thanks for the input, felliz...I pitched it in the dumpster.
wait, really? dude.. it prolly would have fetched at least some $ on ebay. People would get it as back up encoders, screen, power supply, etc.

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Fri May 01, 2009 9:58 pm

th0mas wrote:
wait, really? dude.. it prolly would have fetched at least some $ on ebay. People would get it as back up encoders, screen, power supply, etc.
I would have bought it off of you. I've got a micro modular and a G1 rack. Could have used it for parts, or possibly cannibalized/robbed the micro to get yours working.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Sat May 02, 2009 7:42 pm

Pighood wrote:Would you like me to wear anything special whilst doing so? =P~

Preferably something see through!
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

futureworlder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: modular | monome | x0xb0x | ableton

Post by futureworlder » Sat May 02, 2009 9:44 pm

seriously? :?

Even after multiple requests for it and offers and suggestions other than just trashing it?

One of the things that always drew me to electronic music, it's creators, patrons and fans, and its overall appreciation was a sense of evolution; a testimony of the higher functions in the brain, along with things like reason, compassion and empathy. Guys like Bob Moog, Serge Tcherprenin, Don Buchla and Dave Smith come to mind, but especially Dr Moog, who aside from being a visionary audio and electroacoustical pioneer, was also very much connected to the human element and its place (our place) in the universe. If you haven't already, I suggest you watch the Moog Movie, especially the end bits where Dr. Moog is just hanging out in the garden, all organic, and discussing his family's take on sustainability. Moog was a real human being that seemed to get it, to understand it and I really admire that in a guy who pushed the envelope and enabled us all to be here today, doing what we love, directly or indirectly as a result of his understanding of the universe and how it works. His ability to explain the man-machine connection, and justify the mainboard in a Voyager as a legitimate musical instrument that has an undeniable connection to the musician is fascinating.

Given the current state of the environmental nightmare we are facing, one that will inevitably be inherited by our children as we struggle to find the words to explain to them "why", I find it unbelievable that people who would consider themselves "evolved" as musicians go, and let's face it, to grasp concepts of electronic music creation, theory and practical application does generally require someone who's smarter than the average bear, let alone the aspects of musicality, tonality, pitch, etc., I find it unbelievable and downright irresponsible, to even consider tossing out an entire electronic device; cellphones, watches, remote controls, VCRs, CRT monitors, printers, faxes, microwaves, discmans, etc. (not to mention all the chargers, cables and accessories for all this s**t) are all one thing, but COME ON, an entire synth??? Aren't we just a little bit better than that? Honestly?

It never ceases to amaze me, especially at this juncture in time, this day and age, given all we now know about pollutants like BPA, the toxicity of plastics, not to mention the nightmarish juggernaut of mass-produced plastic waste nearly twice the size of Texas now known as "The Gyre" floating in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. If you watch this stuff and it doesn't affect you, well then you must be either a cyborg or so completely self-absorbed in your own little world that I would think it safe to say you're missing out on the human experience and perhaps you need to wake the f**k up:

http://www.vbs.tv/video.php?id=1485308505

I personally have been reducing my studio the past few years from over 2 dozen synths down to a rig that will easily fit in the trunk of a small car, selling off almost everything with a plastic casing and surprise surprise, it's all stuff manufactured by the big three. Besides, I much rather prefer the look and feel of steel, aluminum and wood- the stuff tends to be better built and in my experience that tends to mean it's going to last longer. I've also found that the boutique stuff aside from better craftsmanship is not only solid, but sounds better as well.

This is not meant as a personal attack, against Pighood or anyone else, rather it's a blanket statement that we, being the next wave of electronic pioneers and auteurs need to take a stand and begin to change the way these devices are designed, manufactured, and inevitably disposed of. For example, anyone with a reworking station or a desoldering gun, for that matter could've stripped that Nord for its components and built something new, at the very least, best case would be either two non-functioning units could've been combined to make one good unit, or Maschinegeist or Rhino could have used it to repair other synths. The point is, most of those components, including the plastic is toxic, has a ridiculous half-life and is ending up in position where it is systematically destroying the basis of our food chain. Synths are comprised of electronic circuitry consisting of components that are made up of anything from lead to mercury, acids, asbestos, and that's not even counting the ABS plastics and resins used to house and package all this stuff in. It's all toxic and it's here to stay, so we need to come up with better ways to deal with it and that includes recycling used/ dead components, circuit bending obsolete toys and gear, and using our "smarter than thou" brains to extend the lives of things that were designed with concepts such as "planned obsolescence" in mind.

So please, for our own sakes, as well as our children's, I implore you, stop throwing away synthesizers and computers. There are lots of synth repair people here on VSE and all kinds of local "green" initiatives and drives for getting rid of stuff you can't use anymore, just Google it. who knows, by getting involved you might even get lucky like this guy:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2008/08 ... kitty.html

/rant
"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers"- Pablo Picasso
http://www.myspace.com/briantraister

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Sat May 02, 2009 11:46 pm

(agonized "Mr. Bill" voice);

OOOOoooooohhhhhhHHHHH NNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOO!
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sun May 03, 2009 12:50 am

Well that was a damn stupid thing to do. You could've given it to someone who would've invested more time in trying to fix it. Seems sorta selfish and stupid to me.

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Sun May 03, 2009 4:50 am

...or they could look for one on ebay that does work, yes?

Hop off your high horse. It's gone.

As far as landfill, you can cast the first stone at me when you no longer produce trash.
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun May 03, 2009 5:07 am

And thread gets locked in 3...2...
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun May 03, 2009 5:12 am

Pighood wrote:...or they could look for one on ebay that does work, yes?
The case could be reused to house one of many projects that need rack cases. I've got compressors, mic pres etc that I had to buy a new rack case for and then drill out, buy and add audio and power connectors etc. An old dead G2 engine would have saved me time and money, not to mention being more sustainable.
Pighood wrote:Hop off your high horse. It's gone.

As far as landfill, you can cast the first stone at me when you no longer produce trash.
I can honestly say I've never thrown a synth in landfill. You did a dumb thing, people are calling you dumb. That's the way the world works. :thumbleft:

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Sun May 03, 2009 5:25 am

Since you're a moderator, you should then just lock the thread rather than piling on.

All the rest of you...get over it.
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Sun May 03, 2009 5:31 am

Pighood wrote:Then lock the f**k thread "moderator"
Do as the "retard" says please.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Sun May 03, 2009 5:33 am

:lol: