older first generation lineage VA synths ;)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: older first generation lineage VA synths ;)

Post by Zamise » Thu May 07, 2009 3:50 pm

More impressive if it were his mom's skirt...um, yeah ok maybe not.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu May 07, 2009 4:14 pm

Architecture wrote:I mean, not everyone here wants to make 70s lounge music or disco, some of us aspire to want to make something new and different.
That sounds like if analogs only works for that...

Lots of the most "futuristic" music is made with instruments from the past.

In my case, I respect a machine built with love, commitment, and something unique to it.

I don't think in the way: if this synth is analog, this synth kicks a*s, and it's better than any VA, just because any VA is trying to emulate analogs. But I also can't understand why Analog means Old for some folks. A sound is a sound.

Is recommendable to include in a synth setup a little bit of everything. Combining several instruments very different between them will always give amazing results, synergy.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

T-John

Post by T-John » Thu May 07, 2009 5:28 pm

Zamise wrote:More impressive if it were his mom's skirt...um, yeah ok maybe not.
So right, yet so wrong... :oops:
Gear: Roland JP-4, Siel DK600, Yamaha CS-80

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Thu May 07, 2009 11:42 pm

balma wrote:
Architecture wrote:I mean, not everyone here wants to make 70s lounge music or disco, some of us aspire to want to make something new and different.
That sounds like if analogs only works for that...

Lots of the most "futuristic" music is made with instruments from the past.

In my case, I respect a machine built with love, commitment, and something unique to it.

I don't think in the way: if this synth is analog, this synth kicks a*s, and it's better than any VA, just because any VA is trying to emulate analogs. But I also can't understand why Analog means Old for some folks. A sound is a sound.

Is recommendable to include in a synth setup a little bit of everything. Combining several instruments very different between them will always give amazing results, synergy.
Thats why I have a little bit of everything in my setup. 1 VA, 1 FM, 1 JD990, 1 LA synth, 1 modern Poly analog, 1 Poly Vintage analog, 1 Analog Modular, 1 Modern Analog Monosynth, 1 Vintage circuit based Analog (x0xb0x), too many samplers, and 1 vintage drum machine.

oh, and a Roland Chorus Echo. That thing will make anything sound like it came from the early 70, upwards to the early 80s. I have proof of that for those who are interested.

A Little track I made with a mixed setup.

This track here uses a Moog LP for the bass, 909 for drums, Akai AX-60 for the liquid sounding sequence, D550 for the strings, JD990 for the choir, JP8000 for super saw, Andromeda overdubbed for analog fxs. almost half and half.

and to a few of the posters who claimed that analog helped create new genres of music. Well it did, in the 80s and 90s, not soo much now. 1999 was 10 years ago, let alone 1990 which is nearly 20 years ago. Everyone is almost going entirely towards digital these days, analog seems to only be used by a minority of people these days, and the rich(er) producers. or people who bought them when they were going for pennies. any fresh blood these days is cutting their teeth on digital most likley (I did in 2000), and will either stick with digital (I will admit, its ALOT easier to multitrack in a DAW soley than having to worry about splitting up tracks and redubbing because you dont have enough inputs on your soundcard to fully record everything descretely), or they will spend thousands of dollars on hardware outboard to compliment their setup, or go completely hardware, and use a computer just for recording (which is pretty much what im doing these days).

Id like to hear some examples of NEW (aka something newer than 2003), of new genres of music. I know grime and dubstep are pretty much the new commers this decade, but not soo much of that is analog based at all (dizzie raschal used MTV music generator off of a PS1 for his first album).

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri May 08, 2009 12:54 am

T-John wrote:We could all also just kick back with a chill pill for a minute and then go make some music on our true vintage analogs/modern analogs/hybrid designs/digital synths/retro-VA's/cutting edge VA's andsofortandsoon...anyone? :)
I swear Romplers get the least love, not even on the list :evil:

Arch - will listen to your song when I get home later. I know it'll blow my socks off.

Anyhow, I'm just gona say this than I'm prob done with this thread: Its one thing to date a bunch of hot synthesizers, totally another to be with one or two over a long period of time and still love the c**p out of it.

Don't let your bread and butter get too jealous.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.

Post by Architecture » Fri May 08, 2009 1:02 am

that is the best statement I have yet heard to date Zamise. having now been on both sides, I rather have a few synths that I love, then a bunch of sexy attractive synths, too much damn maintenance!

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri May 08, 2009 1:44 am

But seriously where are these lounge disco machines? They better be covered in brown leather and tiny mirrors.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Architecture

Post by Architecture » Fri May 08, 2009 1:58 am

look under your seat, and there you shall find what you are looking for. What it is I have no clue.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri May 08, 2009 2:17 am

Architecture wrote: Id like to hear some examples of NEW (aka something newer than 2003), of new genres of music. I know grime and dubstep are pretty much the new commers this decade, but not soo much of that is analog based at all (dizzie raschal used MTV music generator off of a PS1 for his first album).
I can't think of many new genres of music post 2003 period. Help me out, what are these new synthy genres that are primarily digital? Neo-Lounge-Disco is a recent genre using analog, I've only just heard about it.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri May 08, 2009 2:42 am

Score.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Fri May 08, 2009 3:23 am

Architecture wrote:look under your seat, and there you shall find what you are looking for. What it is I have no clue.

eh....... burn?

god elton can't you suck

Architecture

Post by Architecture » Fri May 08, 2009 3:28 am

robot chicken reference to a parody of the oprah show. If you havent seen it, you wouldnt get it.

T-John

Post by T-John » Fri May 08, 2009 3:39 pm

otto wrote:
Architecture wrote: Id like to hear some examples of NEW (aka something newer than 2003), of new genres of music. I know grime and dubstep are pretty much the new commers this decade, but not soo much of that is analog based at all (dizzie raschal used MTV music generator off of a PS1 for his first album).
I can't think of many new genres of music post 2003 period. Help me out, what are these new synthy genres that are primarily digital? Neo-Lounge-Disco is a recent genre using analog, I've only just heard about it.

I wouldn't mind me some neo-lounge-disco myself. I mean, something that'll make you both want to do the hustle! and chill it to the max at the same time is bound to make for pretty interesting people-watching on the dance floor...
Gear: Roland JP-4, Siel DK600, Yamaha CS-80

aeon

Post by aeon » Fri May 08, 2009 4:20 pm

Zamise wrote:I swear Romplers get the least love, not even on the list :evil:
True that, and a pity too - depending on the machine in question, some great sounds are to be had.

cheers,
Ian

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri May 08, 2009 10:41 pm

aeon wrote:
Zamise wrote:I swear Romplers get the least love, not even on the list :evil:
True that, and a pity too - depending on the machine in question, some great sounds are to be had.

cheers,
Ian

MOST of the romplers sucks, fantom patches are weak (the "analog feeling" on the patch edit screen seems like a joke), Karma "pseudo oscillators" that are really simple wavs with the name oscillator on the screen... etc etc, I have in my list lots of romplers to hate.

but actually, I have kept like treasures, some romplers like the E-MU COMMAND STATION

You can create really amazing user patches with this rompler, wich is one of the greatest hardware sequencers BTW to play live.... it can use 12 waves in one patch and program 16 different tweaks for each one of the wavs, and the patch cords section is ill. Really, you can get great patches from it, and still experimenting during years with its engine.

Command station deserves respect! :evil:
Also have in my gear FM (sy 99) some old and modern VAs, two analogs AKAIs Ax 60 and AX 80, a rompler, groovemachines, rack samplers, phrase samplers, I love each one of them, and sometimes, spend weeks just using one, in order to get out of the box
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma