older first generation lineage VA synths ;)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: older first generation lineage VA synths ;)

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat May 09, 2009 1:18 am

Architecture wrote: and to a few of the posters who claimed that analog helped create new genres of music. Well it did, in the 80s and 90s, not soo much now. 1999 was 10 years ago, let alone 1990 which is nearly 20 years ago. Everyone is almost going entirely towards digital these days, analog seems to only be used by a minority of people these days, and the rich(er) producers. or people who bought them when they were going for pennies. any fresh blood these days is cutting their teeth on digital most likley (I did in 2000), and will either stick with digital (I will admit, its ALOT easier to multitrack in a DAW soley than having to worry about splitting up tracks and redubbing because you dont have enough inputs on your soundcard to fully record everything descretely), or they will spend thousands of dollars on hardware outboard to compliment their setup, or go completely hardware, and use a computer just for recording (which is pretty much what im doing these days).
So if I wanted to use VAs to make disco-lounge, would it still be authentic disco-lounge, or would it just become virtual disco lounge?
Do you even post on vse bro?

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Sat May 09, 2009 4:44 am

it would be Nu Disco-Lounge :P its what they do with any old genre these days, put the word Nu in front of it.

Then again, Nu Electro was soo 1997, now they just call it electro again, because its target audience (teens to twenty somethings) dont remember what electro sounded like in the 80's, well, most of us know what it sounded like here being into vintage synths and what not. I better not make such a huge sweeping judgement call on that now should I?

japan

Post by japan » Sat May 09, 2009 8:33 am

Well, I've not read all the topic, and the discussion ( I'm sorry for that ), but I understand Arquitecture's point. Analog synths have some 'issues', for example, sometimes they sound 'dated', or it's hard to put its sound in a mix, because it doesn't fit everytime. Analog synths are amazing, but VA's are good too, because these synths offer a 'fake' analog sound, and it's a good thing sometimes. The Korg MS2000 tries to replicate the MS-series's sound, but it offers waveforms from digital synths from the brand too, so, it wasn't designed for the extremist purist of the analog stuff, it was designed for people who enjoy to work with sounds, whatever the source or kind, analog or digital.

I sold my MS2000 to buy a good firewire soundcard for my Mac, and I just want to buy another MS2000 soon, although I want to buy an Andromeda too...The MS2000 is a charming synth, and it doesn't mean that I don't like the 'real' analog synths. It doesn't sound precisely analog, but, because of that, it can offer an extra tool for the musician. It worked for me.
"the simple life is no longer there..."

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sat May 09, 2009 9:38 am

I still wonder how many ppl can hear the difference between a properly programmed VA and a properly programmed RA in a dense mix..
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sat May 09, 2009 9:59 am

japan wrote:sometimes they sound 'dated'
No, they don't.

I don't think I'll ever understand the people who say things sound "dated". At most, you could accuse a vintage machine of being incapable of producing an overcompressed supersaw drenched in on-board metallic reverb.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat May 09, 2009 10:06 am

Dense mix was never the issue. Same thing applies to soft synths verse analogs.
It's when you construct the entire song using either toolset that you get noticable differences.

And that prospect is what lies on either side of the purist camp.

In cooking there's an ingredient that takes the place of every food/taste/flavor when you need to avoid allergies.
But what happens when every ingredient is a substitute?

A whole lot of digital sounds make for a digital sounding record.
I'm not saying that's a bad thing either.

Dated, I think always means...familiar.
Like popular presets...
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com