older first generation lineage VA synths ;)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hair

Re: "Vintage" VA synths

Post by Hair » Fri May 01, 2009 4:33 am

plikestechno wrote:As far as vintage VAs that have reached classic status...approx. ten years old, lots of people loving them and buying them being the prerequisite you'd have to say...

Novation Basstation and K-Station
NITPICK! Basstation is a DCO synth, Supernova is VA though.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri May 01, 2009 4:36 am

Architecture wrote: I guess what I have been trying to say was that VA's that arent exactly good at producing analog emulations seem to do things differently enough from analog that they can be used as a strong point if you get creative with it.
:roll:

You really just had this epiphany? Of course VA's cover different ground from analogs, that's really what makes them great. Do you really think people would pay nearly $3k for a Virus TI2 when they could just go buy a nice analog synth (or 2) for that price? Get over hype. Decade old VA's are hardly "vintage" anything. Is it somehow not cool if you can't call it vintage? There's nothing wrong with liking VA. VA's are f**k great, and they do what they do.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri May 01, 2009 4:38 am

Architecture wrote: They have a certian character to them that distinguishes themselves from a normal analog synth.
... #-o
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Fri May 01, 2009 5:18 am

I have known about this for a long time, its funny how people on gearslutz are now all going ga ga over them. Thats what I find funny.

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.

Post by Architecture » Fri May 01, 2009 5:25 am

Yea I just go and sell all my expensive analog outboard gear. such as my

Alesis Andromeda A6
Moog LP Stage II
Dot Com 22 Space Modular
Akai AX-60
x0xb0x
Roland Chorus Echo RE501
Roland TR909

And Use a bunch of electribe boxes and Korg DS10. :D ;) Maybe even a Microkorg while im at it. oh and I will definitely be using my JP8000 as well.

or better yet, gameboys, commodores AND DS10, and make a renegade electronic street band.

I hope your detecting scarcasm in this.
Last edited by Architecture on Fri May 01, 2009 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri May 01, 2009 5:27 am

Hilarious!

/sarcasm

Let's keep GS out of here.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Architecture

Post by Architecture » Fri May 01, 2009 5:33 am

sigh, this place aint what it used to be.

OT: Hey I got 303 posts! it should be 1800, but thanks to a certain person who we wont name, messed up our post numbers.

Tardis

Post by Tardis » Fri May 01, 2009 5:36 am

Architecture wrote:sigh, this place aint what it used to be.
Nope,...someone left the door opened & the wrong dogs came home...
Hmm, that's a great Clint Eastwood-ism... :-P
"When natural inclination develops into a passionate desire, one advances towards his goal in seven-league boots." ~Nikola Tesla~

Tofuik

Post by Tofuik » Fri May 01, 2009 5:40 am

I'm inclined to agree with Arch on this matter. I'm tired of buying overpriced c**p because I don't wanna be lumped in with Dickheads like Joey or the rest of you twats. Seriously Joey, how bout we stop being the young c**t for a few seconds and join in on the real conversation, add something worth while or go twiddle some knobs elsewhere.

As for the topic:

VA's are great, and yeah that JP8k, sounds freakin amazing. Its become one of my favorite synths over they years, and nothing really beats it. I've been listening to what Arch has been up to, and the sounds that synth comes up will never stop amazing me.
the cheese stands alone

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri May 01, 2009 5:51 am

:happy1:
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Fri May 01, 2009 9:04 am

Tofuik wrote:I'm inclined to agree with Arch on this matter. I'm tired of buying overpriced c**p because I don't wanna be lumped in with Dickheads like Joey or the rest of you twats. Seriously Joey, how bout we stop being the young c**t for a few seconds and join in on the real conversation, add something worth while or go twiddle some knobs elsewhere.
Was there really any need for this, Tofuik? I'm sorry that you feel that we are all twats over here, don't know what to say, really.

However, I'm sorry to say that you are now permanently banned from VSE as this isn't the first time you've nipped in here out of the blue to issue a personal attack. I thought I was quite clear on this matter, the last time we had visitors turning up to offer abuse.

Before it starts, I don't want to see a repeat of members of other forums coming over here to offer 'support' - let's not have any inter-forum wars please - it's in nobody's interest.

For everyone else - back on topic with this thread please!
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri May 01, 2009 9:30 am

otto wrote:Decade old VA's are hardly "vintage" anything. Is it somehow not cool if you can't call it vintage? There's nothing wrong with liking VA. VA's are f**k great, and they do what they do.
Why are you rolling your eyes and quibbling over terms when you seem to completely agree with the thrust of the OP anyway then?

Ten year old synths can be said to be "vintage" as much as any synth can be said to be vintage, especially when we can identify a characteristic bouquet associated with the age of the technology. In any case, doesn't having the scare quotes around vintage in the first place make it pretty clear that the term was being used with a degree of ironic distance. I think the OP might even have said that in the first sentence.

*rolls eyes ironically*

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri May 01, 2009 11:37 am

Architecture wrote:thanks to a certain person who we wont name, messed up our post numbers.
Jesus? Allah? Jah?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri May 01, 2009 11:38 am

I've heard Arch's setup(s) in person, the thumps his tr909 made me nearly c**p my pants. Anyhow, I get what he is saying and all, my Vintage VA I keep around is an AN1X. I like it more than the JP80X0s sound, they both covered quite difrent grounds in my opinion with difrent sonic charactristics, of which I already had something that I thought sounded a lot like the JP already, which happen to be a CS2X which happens to be a rompler. Laugh all you want. So the JP had to leave my setup since I could get more $ back for it. I've not dumped many synths too, but sometimes you've got to let them go. In my all honest opinion, there is no single defining charactristic to VAs, Analogs, Rommies, or Softies that make them stand out over the other, there is good ones and there is bad ones in each area. When you focus on one and classify it as THE sound that class of synth makes, then you are making an over generalization. Classic or Vintage VAs will and have their places, all synths do, and you will know each one will be difrent if you've been exposed to enough of them, you just have to find it.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

aeon

Post by aeon » Fri May 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Architecture wrote:I have known about this for a long time, its funny how people on gearslutz are now all going ga ga over them. Thats what I find funny.
Really? Where might that be?

I started the "vintage" VA thread over there, solely for the purpose of some discussion. No ga ga that I was aware of.

confused,
Ian