older first generation lineage VA synths ;)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: "Vintage" VA synths

Post by otto » Fri May 01, 2009 8:54 pm

masstronaut wrote:
otto wrote:To be honest I see very little irony in this thread and an attempt to use a hyped word (vintage) as some kind of justification to give value to VAs. I think this is absolutely unnecessary. I doubt you’ll find very many people, even on a vintage synth forum who can’t see value in VAs. They don’t need to be hyped with errant terminology. Outside of wine (and I don’t think synthesizers qualify as wine) vintage is generally applied to some of age or maturity. I don’t think VAs have been around long enough and the only value I see in trying to use that tag is some misguided hipster intent to place additional value in something because an individual is too insecure to take it at face value and like it for what it is.
You think Architecture is trying to 'give value' to old VA synths by talking about them? Well you know, on the one hand, so what? Should we only engage in er, not giving value to things? But in any case how exactly is this distinguishable from expressing appreciation and sharing enthusiasm? Do you think he has a massive warehouse full of 1st gen VAs and a vested interest in 'hyping' them? I don't know, maybe.

The irony in using the word "vintage" is admitted upfront with those scare quotes and right there in the first line of this thread - 'I know that sound ironic but its something that has got me thinking. There is without any doubt that the first generation VA's have quite a different sound from the newer VA's or softsynths on the market.'

I don't see a problem with the basic premise or original tone of this thread. There's value in all things that make a sound as long as you don't expect them to be something other than what they are.
Judging from the level of enthusiasm I think “vintage” was quoted because Architecture wasn’t sure if that was the right term, which I still maintain that it isn’t, not in an attempt to be ironic. But I suppose it is all in how you read it and your perspective may be different than mine.

I wasn’t talking about a tangible value($$) I was talking about a credibility type of value. As in “this VA isn’t cool unless I can call it vintage”.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Re: older first generation lineage VA synths ;)

Post by Architecture » Fri May 01, 2009 8:58 pm

I corrected the absolutely horrible fallacy with a newer better, more precise, more direct, centerized verbiage that fully implies what I originally meant.

Take 2.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Fri May 01, 2009 8:59 pm

otto wrote:To be honest I see very little irony in this thread
Maybe that's because this kind of topic needs a new place to be posted:

Portal < Board index < Synthesizers & samplers <Punch and Judy

A place where people can just scream "oh yes it does" - "oh no it doesn't"

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri May 01, 2009 9:00 pm

otto wrote:I wasn’t talking about a tangible value($$) I was talking about a credibility type of value. As in “this VA isn’t cool unless I can call it vintage”.
I know, was kidding about that. Cultural value though, still I say so what and why not but anyway it's a dumb thing to argue about.

Oh look it's changed. :)

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri May 01, 2009 10:27 pm

Architecture wrote:I was just wanting to make a discussion about older VA's how they have a unique character to them
That would have been a better start. VA's do have certain sounds that people might prefer over others.

As to getting bent out of shape on the word "Vintage"...yeah...we should all know by know Otto likes everything in it's place, cataloged and easily referenced. AG will probably pass over this one since it's about VA's. :lol:
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri May 01, 2009 10:34 pm

I agree, the AN1X is more analog than analog ;)

The Moog LP, didn't like it much when it came out, but I see the appeal more now, I like it more for its simple durable design that you can play while wearing ski gloves if you so wanted, its mono sound is good but thats a given and I know its not a VA, but it was meantioned, it didn't surprise me as much as the pounding that 909 put out. And, that rozzbox, more 303 than a 303 ;)

Sometimes I feel that urge, the urge to get an EA1.

Saving for a modular tho, do they make VA modulars?
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sat May 02, 2009 12:18 am

woo this thread is dangerous! All I'm going to add is that I'm EXTREMELY happy with my AN1x, seriously fun to use and I find myself going to it more and more on 'switch on' from all of my synths.

But then, I've never owned a moog or a prophet 5 so I don't care about the purity I just like the sound it puts out and how it's not costing me ££££ to buy/service :)

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat May 02, 2009 2:49 am

Too right - where are the analogue supersaws?

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Sat May 02, 2009 2:56 am

My AN1X sounds like an idealised version of analogue, like a polished recording of one. So in a recording I think it would be quite convincing but when you play it, it's just not the same. It's a h**l of a synth for the money though.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat May 02, 2009 2:57 am

OriginalJambo wrote:Too right - where are the analogue supersaws?

i always try to make supersaw patches on the poly analogs i have owned (p08, mks70, jx8p, etc...) just to see if they could make teh uber supersaw

they always fail... definitely one area where VA excels

but who f**k cares!?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Sat May 02, 2009 4:16 am

I do. I use the supersaw wave on my JP8000 all the time. not just for trance leads either, even dark grainy brooding pads it does well. There is nothing else like it on any other synth. The JP8000 does soo much blantant digital stuff well, i never use it to emulate anything analog.

Im wanting to get another EA-1 again as well. There's something about it thats just soo addicting and fun to play with.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Zamise » Sat May 02, 2009 6:10 am

Tom, that vid you posted, I can't be sure but it sounds very Korg Prophecyish to me if you're wanting that sound. Reminisce of Crystal Method and some of Prodigy's good old 90s tunes. Some of the patches on the JP80X0 did sound similar, they were my favorite ones if I remember right, stuff I liked using my CS2X for instead, but it does seem like the Prophecy excelled at it the most, kind of a distorted monolead guitarish sounds with a lot of res & cut sweeping with HPF. Got to love HPFs! Yup, its like trying to emulate a tb-303 and failing, but still a bad a*s sound onto itself.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat May 02, 2009 11:55 am

Saving for a modular tho, do they make VA modulars?

Wouldn't that be a Nord modular?
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat May 02, 2009 2:23 pm

Architecture wrote:I use the supersaw wave on my JP8000 all the time. not just for trance leads either, even dark grainy brooding pads it does well. There is nothing else like it on any other synth.
Well the SH-201 and V-Synth have 'em too, but your point stills stands. Besides I'm pretty sure the JP8000 engine is quite different from the SH-201/V-Synth one.

However, VA/FM/RA/ROMpler/sampler - it's all good!

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Zamise » Sun May 03, 2009 8:35 am

griffin avid wrote:Saving for a modular tho, do they make VA modulars?

Wouldn't that be a Nord modular?
Yeah man, the nord modular, only thing that might come close, but does anyone consider it a true modular? If so than it is a one kind, so no any other VA modulars?

Really, I thought modular ment a module back in the day, some bastards around here might recall me saying "any synth is a module" as long as it has gromits on the under side so it don't slide across the coffeee table, but its not a true modular type synth really is it?

Closest I've come is a Radical Tech Spectralis to a VA module modular, plus groovy groovebox design. Well...

I'm not super fond of Nord, they're great and all and Clavia has some sort of pact with Yamaha, so one day I'll have one for the h**l of it. But, a VA modular, we can all dream eh?

Intresting topic tho, just one VA modular in all of everything out there?

Zam 1 outy!