Just bought the last Genoqs Octopus Legacy!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Just bought the last Genoqs Octopus Legacy!

Post by StepLogik » Tue May 05, 2009 4:33 am

According to Gabriel, I just got the last Octopus Legacy edition from their stock! The line was limited to 100 units worldwide.

Its been a very long time since I've been so excited about getting a new toy! =P~

futureworlder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: modular | monome | x0xb0x | ableton

Re: Just bought the last Genoqs Octopus Legacy!

Post by futureworlder » Tue May 05, 2009 4:39 am

congrats, mate! The Octopus is equal parts high-end electronics and sculptural furniture; really, really beautiful. I would say I'm totally jealous, were it not for the fact that I'm about to pull the trigger on a Serge M-Class this week.

New toys make everything better! :smilebox:
"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers"- Pablo Picasso
http://www.myspace.com/briantraister

blitzdj86
Gear: Modified DR-110, ES-1 Mk2, KP3, Various Pedals, MG82CX mixer.

Post by blitzdj86 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:22 am

Man.... If you ever feel like selling it for a ridiculously cheap price, PM me.

The octopus is kind of like my holy grail.

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Tue May 05, 2009 11:20 am

Congratulations. I'm the proud owner of a Nemo and my only regret is why the heck didn't I pick up an Octopus in the first place. These things are gorgeous.
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Tue May 05, 2009 3:18 pm

Then you might enjoy reading this...
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/122 ... 22cd0e8/68
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue May 05, 2009 6:12 pm

Congrats! I plan to get one in the near future. Hopefully, someone needs to raise some quick cash and put theirs up for sale. I'm just not too crazy about shelling out $3K for a piece of gear.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:42 am

Z wrote:Congrats! I plan to get one in the near future. Hopefully, someone needs to raise some quick cash and put theirs up for sale. I'm just not too crazy about shelling out $3K for a piece of gear.
Unless you're really into step sequencers, that's a crazy amount to spend for one. However, if you are really into them, most roads lead to the Octopus. Not all - some lead to the SAM-16, some to the tkb, some to the modcan. And damn - you can put in a pretty good word for the p3, and I suppose the Zeit (the one that I haven't tried) if you want to wait years on the waiting list. But imo, if you're really into working this way, and you're working primarily in the midi domain, the Octopus is just one fantastic piece of gear. It's value is enhanced by the fantastic support given by the Genoqs crew and the frequent updates to the software. Occasionally a used one does show up for under $3k. But yeah - kind of by definition - you have to be into the whole step sequencer thing to want to spend that much. On the other hand, if you compare it to the prices of its competition, it's not a bad deal at all, imo.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:57 am

audible wrote:Congratulations. I'm the proud owner of a Nemo and my only regret is why the heck didn't I pick up an Octopus in the first place. These things are gorgeous.
I love the look of the Nemo. I actually think that it's cooler looking than the Octopus. But, having an Octopus, there would be no reason to get the Nemo.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:59 am

futureworlder wrote:congrats, mate! The Octopus is equal parts high-end electronics and sculptural furniture; really, really beautiful. I would say I'm totally jealous, were it not for the fact that I'm about to pull the trigger on a Serge M-Class this week.

New toys make everything better! :smilebox:
Don't they now....and having Serge stuff, at some point your eyes will turn to the tkb, I suspect.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Wed May 06, 2009 5:04 am

StepLogik wrote:According to Gabriel, I just got the last Octopus Legacy edition from their stock! The line was limited to 100 units worldwide.

Its been a very long time since I've been so excited about getting a new toy! =P~
Ah - so you haven't even gotten it yet? Be prepared for a bit of disorientation. Its strength and its weakness is the level of abstraction that is brought on by the lack of a display. It leads you in directions that you wouldn't go and makes you think differently than with something like the p3/schrittmacher, etc, which start with the analog sequencer paradigm, but allow you to explicitly describe events through the display. But it also makes it harder to get oriented at first, at least it did for me. I don't have a good memory for how to do stuff with key commands, etc, and it's easier for me to remember how to do stuff on sequencers with proper displays. But it's also a strength of the Octopus, in that once it gets more familiar, it feels more like a real instrument.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed May 06, 2009 1:25 pm

droolmaster0 wrote: Ah - so you haven't even gotten it yet? Be prepared for a bit of disorientation. Its strength and its weakness is the level of abstraction that is brought on by the lack of a display. It leads you in directions that you wouldn't go and makes you think differently than with something like the p3/schrittmacher, etc, which start with the analog sequencer paradigm, but allow you to explicitly describe events through the display. But it also makes it harder to get oriented at first, at least it did for me. I don't have a good memory for how to do stuff with key commands, etc, and it's easier for me to remember how to do stuff on sequencers with proper displays. But it's also a strength of the Octopus, in that once it gets more familiar, it feels more like a real instrument.
No, it has not arrived yet. The unusual interface is the main reason I waited so long getting one. I don't like too much abstraction - it can make things tedious. The way the Octopus displays numbers is very cumbersome - although as a computer programmer I'm used to seeing data displayed in unusual ways (hex, binary, etc). I spent a lot of time reading the manual and watching YouTube videos before committing.

I've used hardware sequencers for a very long time so I'm very comfortable with them. I sequenced on two MMT-8's for years before switching to computer DAW. That level of immediacy and the solid timing are really what I'm after. The other benefit is sequencing everything in one place. I do not like having to program multiple boxes to make a track. If you change or rearrange something, you have to make the change on multiple machines which becomes a chore.

For the acid house tracks I do, I can see the Octopus being the sole sequencer I use. For more complex tunes, I might end up using some type of combination of the Octopus and Fantom-G sequencer.

blitzdj86
Gear: Modified DR-110, ES-1 Mk2, KP3, Various Pedals, MG82CX mixer.

Post by blitzdj86 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:56 pm

imagine if genoqs brought out a 1 track (say with 2 or 3 CC tracks too) sequencer that regular people could actually afford... would decimate the Orb.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Thu May 21, 2009 7:18 pm

Got the Octopus yesterday! I hooked it up to the 909 and 2 FR Revolutions and was in acid house heaven. Despite all the prep, it still took me a while to get going. Its a very bewildering instrument at first. I've got a LOT to learn.

My biggest fear was that the 909 would lose its "magic" if sequenced externally, but with the Octopus's GRV (Shuffle) function, that has not been an issue.

The shuffle function in the Octopus is more granular than the one on the Revolution's internal sequencer. Combine that plus the ability to control gate time means the Octopus is perfect for controlling the Revo.

Today I'm going to experiment with real-time recording.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:39 pm

...all well and dandy - a smashing "high-de ho" and congratulatory whatnots in abundance!

But what I truly wish to bequeath from thee to know, is if it sequences double-time whilst thou is wearing thy much-coveted Boots of Speed...
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Thu May 21, 2009 9:10 pm

shaft9000 wrote: But what I truly wish to bequeath from thee to know, is if it sequences double-time whilst thou is wearing thy much-coveted Boots of Speed...
:lol: It does indeed..