CZ and DX

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

CZ and DX

Post by Analogue Crazy » Wed May 06, 2009 3:11 pm

So i have been playing and programming my DX-11 and CZ-5000 a lot recently, and must say, they are a fantastic combination. They generally don't have much in common soundwise apart from both excelling at high fequency sounds and both Synths have rather different feature sets, split & layering and portamento being the only really obvious similarities. The sound as i have stated, is rather different on both Synths. The CZ seems to sound slightly warmer and more analogue like, while the DX is super percusive and far more precise and clean sounding. The CZ can also do nicer brass than the 4 operator DX, but its basses are nowhere near as powerful as the DX.

Does anyone else use a CZ and DX combo?
I actually prefer the DX but the CZ adds a nice touch of warmth with ease.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

rockmanrock

Re: CZ and DX

Post by rockmanrock » Wed May 06, 2009 3:56 pm

Yes I've got a TX81Z and a CZ101, I think you're spot on with your observations. As I've wittered on about before on VSE, I think the DX11 has a great bass end, possibly better than the TX81Z. The CZs are great for warmer sounds and weird resonant and ring-modded patches. People have said that the CZs were almost the first VAs, which is a bit of a stretch but they certainly sound more analogue than straight FM and they're a piece of cake to edit once you get into them. Like all this old stuff they seem to be going up in price (TR707s have doubled lately, it's crackers), I think the love-affair with ITB has subsided for many people.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed May 06, 2009 4:37 pm

Now is definitely a good time to buy the 'neglected' DX/TX models, or a CZ... my brief dabble with a CZ-1000 convinced me they were worth having, but I'd want a CZ-1 if I could find one - velocity, AT, more poly. I used to program my TX81Z a lot, but I've forgotten the ways and could do with diving in there again.

AH, the fun I used to have with the TX, Mirage, Juno 6 and an RZ-1...

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Wed May 06, 2009 6:33 pm

I have a TX81Z, DX100 and a CZ-101. I almost melted my CZ though =o. I set it in front of the heater vent and forgot about it. Melted a hole in the bottom and warped the bottom half of the case. Now the whole thing has a curve to it =o] But it still works!!! The CZs def do have a slightly "warmer" feel to them. Yet remains harshly digital. However, stacking the TX in performance mode with all voices set to the same MIDI channel and patch! Try that one =o]
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

mute

Post by mute » Wed May 06, 2009 8:10 pm

I've got a CZ-1 and I love it. Yamaha said the Osc's were DCOs but they aren't because in the same breath they say the waveforms are created digitally. I've always been confused by that. DCO in everyone else's terminology at that time and since has meant analogue oscillator but digitally controlled instead of voltage controlled for 'tuning reasons' as well as cost and shelflife.

The CZ series are really interesting imo.. they're almost your typical subtractive synth but instead of filters you're using phase and cross modulation. Strange beasts, gotta love the 80s need to come up with something new with what they had. It would be insanely awesome if someone made a drum machine/groovebox built with this structure.. I use mine for drums all the time.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed May 06, 2009 8:22 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Now is definitely a good time to buy the 'neglected' DX/TX models, or a CZ... my brief dabble with a CZ-1000 convinced me they were worth having, but I'd want a CZ-1 if I could find one
Picked up a mint CZ-1 for £100 just before Christmas... very nice. Off Soundonsound ads...

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Wed May 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Yeah i really love the CZ's too. The DX series is wonderful too, but the CZ are in a way even more strange instruments, pretending to be a subtractive Synth but being a digital beast at heart. I had a CZ-1000 last year and fell in love with the sound and PD Synthesis, so i got my CZ-5000 a few months and sond the 1000. Can't forget it though, it was a wicked little Synth and i loved the guitar pegs!
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed May 06, 2009 9:34 pm

jaypodesta wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:Now is definitely a good time to buy the 'neglected' DX/TX models, or a CZ... my brief dabble with a CZ-1000 convinced me they were worth having, but I'd want a CZ-1 if I could find one
Picked up a mint CZ-1 for £100 just before Christmas... very nice. Off Soundonsound ads...
Nice find. I was trying not to buy synths then, and doing fairly well till the other week...

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed May 06, 2009 9:51 pm

It was lucky, but it did fall well within my £150 synth limit at that time. :D
Analogue Crazy wrote:Yeah i really love the CZ's too. The DX series is wonderful too, but the CZ are in a way even more strange instruments, pretending to be a subtractive Synth but being a digital beast at heart
There is something about it which you have touched on... maybe strange is it! I don't use it that much, but when I do, I kind of get lost in it - setting out to try and get something from it and then going of in a synth tangent. Great synth fun.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Wed May 06, 2009 10:03 pm

Aye, the CZ series is a lot of synth for not a lot of cash. I had a CZ-3000 for a bit and was suprised at how warm it sounded - that said, the on-board chorus did help with that. I had a CZ-1000 too and reckon I have a CZ-shaped hole in my setup.

They do compliment the DX-series well, I actually sold my CZ in order to fund a DX7s.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Denms20
Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Post by Denms20 » Fri May 08, 2009 3:55 am

I have a TX7 and a CZ-101. I've never midi'd them up together, however I've midi'd the TX7 up to the JX8P quite a bit. To me the DX (or TX in my case) just doesn't stand on it's own, but works great at giving a warm analog an extra bite. However the CZ101 stands just fine on it's own, and I actually like it better for soloing than an analog, it has a thinness that cuts through real nice on a solo. I have also midi'd the CX 3 to the CZ 101, and those two work well together, but I still like the CZ on it's own best of all.
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com

Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Fri May 08, 2009 5:02 am

I've got a CZ1 and a DX7IIFD (as well as two racked TF1 modules). Both great synths for very different things. I used to have the CZ5000 and swapped it out for the 1, not so much for velocity or aftertouch, but for the 'Level' paramter available on each DCO. I used to notice that simply changing the levels of the VCA stages actually changed the time of the envelope instead of simply lowering or raising the volume. The 5000 and the 1 are both great, and I especially love the 'analogue' leads they provide that the DX series couldn't touch.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri May 08, 2009 10:26 am

jaypodesta wrote:when I do, I kind of get lost in it - setting out to try and get something from it and then going of in a synth tangent. Great synth fun.
Ya, me too, it can be quite inspirational. I'm not sure if I'm making decent music, but we'll see in few months.

Anyone use the sequencer on the CZ-5000? It was my first sequencer, so maybe I'm sentimental... but I made some interesting stuff using the step programming.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Fri May 08, 2009 12:32 pm

Computer Controlled wrote:I have a TX81Z, DX100 and a CZ-101. I almost melted my CZ though =o. I set it in front of the heater vent and forgot about it. Melted a hole in the bottom and warped the bottom half of the case. Now the whole thing has a curve to it =o] But it still works!!! The CZs def do have a slightly "warmer" feel to them. Yet remains harshly digital. However, stacking the TX in performance mode with all voices set to the same MIDI channel and patch! Try that one =o]
Yeah, it will definately sound warmer after that...;)

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Fri May 08, 2009 4:55 pm

Why oh why didn't they give the CZ5000 a data slider? Those buttons are horrible to press. And the chorus is extremely noisy on mine. Works for creathing breath sounds on flute patches though :D